584,802 active members*
5,071 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Powermax 105 PHC torch diving

Hi,

I have a Powermax 105 power source with a Sensor PHC control and torcher lifter unit on an Esprit Lightening D plasma table. I am having issues with the torch diving into the plate in auto. The IHS works as it should, and the arc voltage is set according to the sheet thickness, consumable specs in the manual. But every time the torch dives and pulls the magnetic head off the lifter, whether its 3mm or 25mm thick sheet. To investigate the problem further I've dug out some 4mm plate with some very slight bends. The torch pierces, moves and ploughs directly into the steel as the gradient climbs. If I start the torch on the top and run it towards the downward gradient, it stays level and doesn't drop to follow the plate.

I've checked all the earths on the machine, adjusted arc voltages etc, but don't seem to be getting anywhere.

Can anyone recommend any other tests, or troubleshooting methods for this?

Many thanks
    Jim

Re: Powermax 105 PHC torch diving

Hi Jim,
    You have lost the Arc Voltage 'sensing' led. It's from the head to the control. I'm sure your "Ground" signals are OK as you have noted. Question, Do you show 'actual' arc voltage prior to arc out when the head hits the work?
    FYI... If you loose proper sensing, the head will typically drive down toward the work.
    If you have further problems, feel free to shoot me an email to [email protected] or call me at (716) 440-1882 after 9 AM EST.
    Best, Rick

Hi Jim,
    You can also give us a call or fill out the form listed in this link to get some help from our technical support team here at Hypertherm.
    Technical service
    (800) 643-9878

https://www.hypertherm.com/en-US/con...ical-questions

Thanks for the replies Macy and HypHyDef. Sorry it's taken me a while to reply!

I've managed to get the THC working to a fashion. Turns out the screw terminal for pin 2 (right hand block) in the plasma interface box (Assy-0215) will not tighten as the threads knackered. The wire end is basically floating inside the terminal with a poor connection. I've packed it for the time being and it seems to be working, but occasionally the torch still dives. I'm not sure if this pin is related to the arc voltage or it's coincidental that THC has started working.... albeit temperamental.

Which is the arc sensing LED?

When the THC is working during a cut the screen shows the actual arc voltage which hovers around the set voltage point. If I increase the set arc voltage the torch lifts, and vice versa. Which is suddenly drives I find myself frantically trying to stop the machine before checking the actual arc voltage to see if it shows zero.

Is it difficult to calibrate the arc voltage? I'm fairly handy with a multi-meter, but not sure of the process to calibrate.

Thanks,
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by jim_cliff11 View Post
    Thanks for the replies Macy and HypHyDef. Sorry it's taken me a while to reply!

I've managed to get the THC working to a fashion. Turns out the screw terminal for pin 2 (right hand block) in the plasma interface box (Assy-0215) will not tighten as the threads knackered. The wire end is basically floating inside the terminal with a poor connection. I've packed it for the time being and it seems to be working, but occasionally the torch still dives. I'm not sure if this pin is related to the arc voltage or it's coincidental that THC has started working.... albeit temperamental.

Which is the arc sensing LED?

When the THC is working during a cut the screen shows the actual arc voltage which hovers around the set voltage point. If I increase the set arc voltage the torch lifts, and vice versa. Which is suddenly drives I find myself frantically trying to stop the machine before checking the actual arc voltage to see if it shows zero.

Is it difficult to calibrate the arc voltage? I'm fairly handy with a multi-meter, but not sure of the process to calibrate.

Thanks,
    Jim
    WARNING.... Be careful when using a digital multi meter around plasma cutters! The spark gap type High Frequency can and WILL destroy a digital multi meter especially if you go across the Arc Voltage sensing Leeds before any filtering. If you can find an old style analog meter with a 0-->150 volt range, use that and save your DVM from premature death !

Good morning Jim_Cliff11,
    I have reached out to our technical support team with your issue. they asked me to provide the following: You'll need to click on the image to expand it, hopefully you can read the instructions okay. The best thing you could do is get in touch with them over the phone but if you would prefer to start here that's okay as well.

Is that with the machine running HypHyDef? As in, plasma on but not cutting?

On further investigation and plenty of reading I'm beginning to think the issue lies with the configuration of the Hypertherm Sensor PHC and sheetcam code.

See example vid: https://youtu.be/foyYUtzGUCg (sound warning)
    First hole, with THC on..... no problem (lucky). Although on thicker plate if the torch manages to start the cut without diving, it usually gets stuck on the slag. Second hole.... As soon as the pierce is complete the torch dives straight into the steel before moving (which usually happens).

Second example vid cutting 20mm plate: https://youtu.be/iXyEUHuWBkk
    After pierce torch dives. If it does manage to get going, it gets stuck on slag.

On the PHC I can set the THC enable delay after pierce from 0.5 to 2.5 seconds using a dim switch. But the problem then is the torch doesn't drop at all after the initial pierce height, so it will start cutting at say 8-9mm height on a 20mm thick plate for the 2.5 seconds until the THC kicks in. If I disable the THC in G-code for any holes smaller than 30mm the same happens (torch stays at pierce height).

Does the Hypertherm Sensor PHC have a cut height setting? So after the pierce, with the THC off, the torch drops to a pre-set height of say 2-3mm? Then I can enable the THC after any holes smaller than 30mm.

Quote Originally Posted by jim_cliff11 View Post
    Is that with the machine running HypHyDef? As in, plasma on but not cutting?
    That would be with machine off to do the Ohm check. Please give us call, it's much harder to diagnose issues like this through a forum. You can send me an email if you would like with your contact information and we can reach out to you. you can email me at [email protected]

Thanks, looking forward to hearing from you.

Hi HypHyDef, I've emailed [email protected] with more information. Hope this reaches you
    Thanks.

Hey Jim,
    I've forwarded your information on to our technical support team. I'm very sorry for the delay in getting back to you.