I have a Long Chang LC-16CV knee mill with a Meldas M0 control on it. It appears that it didn't come with the (factory optional) ability to set work offsets (G54, etc). The control itself is capable of it according to the manual, but the screen where that info would be entered is not available on this machine.

How would one go about getting those to work? Is it a combo of dip switches or something in the control cabinet? An add-in card? Something that gets typed into the control?
Please help, I'm currently stuck using the machine origin coordinates which makes programming the thing nightmarish.

Second problem: If I call a tool change (for example T1 M6), the machine throws a "sequence alarm". Haven't found any good solid info about what that means or how to get around it. Sharp doesn't want to help because it's too old, Mitsu are nice but they only have limited info also due to age, and I don't speak Mandarin so I can't get anything out of Long Chang in Taiwan.

I should mention that this machine doesn't have an automatic tool changer, only a power drawbar system controlled with some buttons on the head. I suppose I'd expect an M6 command to pause, home the Z axis and await manual tool change, but it doesn't even do that.

Possibly related to the tool change issue - when I got the machine it had a dead memory battery, since replaced. I reloaded all machine parameters and canned cycles by hand from the machine manual, but in the back of the manual there's a picture of some 1's and 0's in the "sequence" screen that I think need to be reloaded just like the other parameters, but nothing I do will make them stick. I can enter them, but they disappear as soon as I power off the control.

Both these issues mean that I'm currently limited to very rudimentary programs, mostly handwritten and single-tool. Any help with them would be most appreciated.