585,886 active members*
5,505 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Spindles / VFD > ATC Spindle rebuild help
Page 1 of 2 12

ATC Spindle rebuild help

Hi..I have a 5.5 kw chinese spindle water cooled atc...motor went bad and i got a rebuilt...sat around a while ...now I want to put back...question is do I need an o ring at this joint?

Re: ATC Spindle rebuild help

Quote Originally Posted by paragon61 View Post
    Hi..I have a 5.5 kw chinese spindle water cooled atc...motor went bad and i got a rebuilt...sat around a while ...now I want to put back...question is do I need an o ring at this joint?
    If there are any water connections, they will need Orings to seal the connections they are normally recessed for the Oring make sure you get the right size, so it has enough crush on the Oring to seal
    Mactec54

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    If there are any water connections, they will need Orings to seal the connections they are normally recessed for the Oring make sure you get the right size, so it has enough crush on the Oring to seal
    hi..thanks for reply..for clogged water passages...tried radiator flush under some air pressure..very little movement out of other side..tried clr also...still not much...any other tricks?

Thanks

hi..thanks for reply..for clogged water passages...tried radiator flush under some air pressure..very little movement out of other side..tried clr also...still not much...any other tricks?

Thanks
    Try some white vinegar and water mix, let it soak for a while, then try and flush again, it may take a few tries
    Mactec54

Try some white vinegar and water mix, let it soak for a while, then try and flush again, it may take a few tries
    Hi..tried that earlier...had 125 psi pressure on it for a while and only occasional detectble air on other side...seems like totally filled..any info on how to remove and get access to mechanially clear...like changing bearing?

Thanks for any help

Not sure if this helps, but I bookmarked this video a while back in case I ever needed to do any repairs - it looks similar to my water cooled ATC spindle. I found it very helpful to understand the inner workings and how to access them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jd1AieyO_0

Hi..tried that earlier...had 125 psi pressure on it for a while and only occasional detectble air on other side...seems like totally filled..any info on how to remove and get access to mechanially clear...like changing bearing?

Thanks for any help
    Did you try the pressure in both directions? put some juce in the and leave the pressure on it over night

Thats not really very doable the whole outer jacket of the spindle would have to be removed, which is the stainless-steel tube that is pressed over the aluminum body of the spindle it has been done before, but I don't think they ever put it back together and used it again

No, the Bearings are inside the main housing removing any of the inside of the motor does not give you access to the water jacket
    Mactec54

Quote Originally Posted by TMToronto View Post
    Not sure if this helps, but I bookmarked this video a while back in case I ever needed to do any repairs - it looks similar to my water cooled ATC spindle. I found it very helpful to understand the inner workings and how to access them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jd1AieyO_0
    This was a very different problem where they had pressed a button while the spindle was running and spin welded the tool ejector together
    Mactec54

This was a very different problem where they had pressed a button while the spindle was running and spin welded the tool ejector together
    I saw this video earlier also and thats where I thought I could get at the water passage ways...thanks for the guidance ...I actually did what you just mentioned as far as leaving pressure on overnight...di not seem to work but I am thinking that the alternating part could make a difference as it seemed that after putting in juice and applying pressure..at first there would be some movement...slow but then would really slown down to nothing...maybe whatever was coming loose was then being impacted again as a filler..so alternating is hopefully the key...I will pick up again tomorrow....thanks again for the help..I really appreciate it!!

Absolutely true, I passed it on only to give a better idea of the disassembly and internal components. It was the only video I found showing the teardown of my type of spindle.

Quote Originally Posted by TMToronto View Post
    Absolutely true, I passed it on only to give a better idea of the disassembly and internal components. It was the only video I found showing the teardown of my type of spindle.
    Hi..now I am wondering if the jacket is so fouled using vinegar as well as clr and radiator flush to clear...the possibility that it could leak seems to be greater...is there a way to leave original jacket as is and add to the outside of the spidle body another cooling jacket? Thanks for any help..

Hi..now I am wondering if the jacket is so fouled using vinegar as well as clr and radiator flush to clear...the possibility that it could leak seems to be greater...is there a way to leave original jacket as is and add to the outside of the spidle body another cooling jacket? Thanks for any help..
    This will give you an idea of what is inside the water jacket, this is not the same as the Chinese spindles but shows you how the water flow around the body of the spindle.
    https://highspeedtechnologies.com/po...olant-jackets/

If you used water after both, it would get neutralized, the high pressure may be a bad thing as it may be compressing the junk inside the water ways

Something else that would be worth a try is lime-a-way this to would take some time to work as well, feeding it with your pump push it in and suck it out, work it in both directions

Adding another jacket would not get the cooling needed to the spindle body, but would work if you removed the current outer tube, cleaned up the aluminum spindle body and made a new outer spindle jacket / tube
    Mactec54

This will give you an idea of what is inside the water jacket, this is not the same as the Chinese spindles but shows you how the water flow around the body of the spindle.
    https://highspeedtechnologies.com/po...olant-jackets/

If you used water after both, it would get neutralized, the high pressure may be a bad thing as it may be compressing the junk inside the water ways

Something else that would be worth a try is lime-a-way this to would take some time to work as well, feeding it with your pump push it in and suck it out, work it in both directions

Adding another jacket would not get the cooling needed to the spindle body, but would work if you removed the current outer tube, cleaned up the aluminum spindle body and made a new outer spindle jacket / tube
    ok..thanks... I had tried some clr which I think is similar to lime away...how likely is a catastrophic leak from corrosion?

ok..thanks... I had tried some clr which I think is similar to lime away...how likely is a catastrophic leak from corrosion?
    How old is it, you would soon no as it would leak out the front of the spindle, have an electrical short and the VFD Drive would fault
    Mactec54

How old is it, you would soon no as it would leak out the front of the spindle, have an electrical short and the VFD Drive would fault
    Hi..going to give the flush method one more try tomorrow but am curiuous about cutting the outer shell to clean and then replace...if the cut through shell goes into the aluminum part slightly will that work as long as it is sealed well after?

Thanks again for all help..Rick

Hi..going to give the flush method one more try tomorrow but am curiuous about cutting the outer shell to clean and then replace...if the cut through shell goes into the aluminum part slightly will that work as long as it is sealed well after?<br>
    <br>
    Thanks again for all help..Rick
    <br>
    <br>Here is what I had after 3 days of soaking ..pushing ...pulling..Now just have to get back together without leaking..

Thanks for all your help!!

What did your cooling water look like????
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    What did your cooling water look like????
    I do not know.. I got this used as refurbished...it sat for a couple months before setting up but when I did saw that nothing would pass through..at least now I can fix it and get use of it..

Thanks

I do not know.. I got this used as refurbished...it sat for a couple months before setting up but when I did saw that nothing would pass through..at least now I can fix it and get use of it..

Thanks
    This is why you have to use an anti-corrosion in the water as well as using a closed coolant system to keep junk out of the cooling water

I think if you had of kept the pump running with the lime-out in the system it would of slowly cleared that out
    Mactec54

This is why you have to use an anti-corrosion in the water as well as using a closed coolant system to keep junk out of the cooling water

I think if you had of kept the pump running with the lime-out in the system it would of slowly cleared that out
    Maybe....in the center ther was a spot about .75" that was hard like metal it broke free with a chisel but I do not think it would have come loose otherwise...at least now I have a good starting point and like you said i will use proper coolant...whoever had this before me obviously did not...seller of "refurbished" insisted that it had been thoroughly gone over...NOT!...I cleaned up pretty good and used sleeve with rubber cord in joint and hose clamps to tighten just dry as test......sealed up pretty well right away...will redo with small amount of sealant at bottom tomorrow..

Thanks again!

Page 1 of 2 12