585,948 active members*
3,822 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Spindles / VFD > LAPOND SVD-PS / SVD-ES VFD programming questions - P1-05 slow to set

LAPOND SVD-PS / SVD-ES VFD programming questions - P1-05 slow to set

I'm just trying out a 2.2KW LaPond SVD-PS VFD. My first impressions are very favorable. Manual is huge (paper copy comes with drive but you have to email Amazon seller to get it PDF), comprehensive, and in easily readable English. Someone really put some time into it.

I've run into a few problems though on programming the unit. Hoping someone here actually has one (not just a manual reader), and can answer a few questions.

Setting it up for a spindle, 220 VAC, 2.2 HP, 400 Hz, 24,000 RPM, 2 pole, 9 Amp. The parameters related to this are P1-00 through P1-05, with P1-05 being the "Rated motor rotational speed" with a setting range of 1-65535.

P1-05 factory default is 1460. I need to set it to 24,000. Pushing the increment button slowly increases it, but at the rate of about 10 per second while the button is pushed (clicking it doesn't help). I kept it pushed for a few minutes and got up to 3,000 something or other, and gave up. At that rate, I calculated that I'd have to have the increment button pushed for 40 MINUTES!

This can't be right. Is there another way to do it?

Posted the question on Amazon and some wise guy said only "read the manual." (where do these people come from?) I've spent a lot of time several times going through the manual but I don't think it's in there.

Also, I tried increasing P1-04 (Rated motor frequency) to 400, but it refuses to go any higher than 61.29.

Another question I have is on P0-22 (Frequency Reference Resolution). Want to change it from 2 to 1. Unit is stopped when I try this, but it won't take a change in value.

Thanks

Re: LAPOND SVD-PS / SVD-ES VFD programming questions - P1-05 slow to set

A quick update before anyone wastes any time on this.

The key to changing parameter values quickly is the >> key. Lets you select which digit to roll up or down.

I was thinking, why would anyone design what appears to be a great product, with a superb manual, and have a dumb user interface. So I looked at the manual again. BTW, the manual is 236 pages. Lots of parameters, but only a dozen or so need to be set.

It features motor tuning, where it performs testing on the motor and determines things like winding inductance, which helps to optimize operation.

If you're looking for an inexpensive VFD you might want to give this one a try.