584,800 active members*
4,604 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Vectric > VCarve Pro freezes up in 3D view toolpath playback

VCarve Pro freezes up in 3D view toolpath playback

I am honestly find this $700 software the worst piece of software I have ever encountered.

(1) Licensing took over 1 hour, only manual licesning works, the default on-line license process stops with errors. Customer support of Vectris in the uk is arrogant, ignorant and of no help at all.

(2) Vectris now sent me a second private license key - For what??? Since when do uyou need 2 license keys?

(3) Worst of all: Software freezes up in the 3D view of one single simple drill hole tool path view. All work gone, no chnace to stop cancel the operation or even normally shut down the softweare or to safe the work. Only killing the process in the task manager brought me out.

(4) So my facit so far, I paid $700 bucks for a not working software and can not operate my several thousand dollars CNC machine.

Any ideas?

Is there a possibility to return and get a refund?

Any suggestions for a 100% WORKING CNC software?

I am greatly open and thankful for feedback, your experince and solutions.

Re: VCarve Pro freezes up in 3D view toolpath playback

Have you worked through any of the bundled tutorials?It is a slightly quirky piece of software and the CAD side of things is not the greatest but it does a good job of creating toolpaths.The 3d view is only for simulation and if you have it set for the very highest resolution,it is very slow.Have you found a working post processor for your machine and does the Gcode from it look viable?How does it compare with the software you previously used in other respects?

Quote Originally Posted by HoS2020 View Post

(3) Worst of all: Software freezes up in the 3D view of one single simple drill hole tool path view. All work gone, no chnace to stop cancel the operation or even normally shut down the softweare or to safe the work. Only killing the process in the task manager brought me out.

I get this happen with Autodesk on my i7 laptop with 1050ti gfx card if I select too many toolpaths to simulate on small assemblies. I improved it a little bit with lowering my screen resolution.

With an AMD laptop using the built in vega8 gfx it crashed with a single model drawn.

I find that my old i5 desktop pc with gtx640 gfx card running win7 is my best pc for running it for my needs. My more up-to-date desktop (still with only a slightly better 1060 gaming card) is actually worse than the old i5 one!.

I blame the 3D accelerator type crap built into win10 myself. If you look in the hardware info in taskmanager you may see the spikes in the 3D graph. There's none of that crap in win7.
    See, if my old win7 machine spikes it just slows down for a moment, the win10 sees a spike it just kills it. That's the difference!!!. I have tested both with the same assembly.

What pc system are you using?. It might just be down to that.
    Use a desktop and shove a nvidia quadro in it.

Ive had this same issue with another piece of software on a newer laptop, the problem is the Intel processor runs too fast for old software and causes a conflict, there is a fix but it is a long process and will slow your laptop down. I would not recommend it. I run vcave on an old laptop running XP and it runs great, I also have it on a Macbook running virtual box on XP also runs great.
    My advice is to find an old laptop running windows 7 or older or run a virtual machine on your computer.
    I made a guide on how to instal a virtual machine on a MacBook just get the newest version of VirtualBox (not the one in the guide) The appliance has Vcarve preinstalled.
    https://www.instructables.com/Runnin...-Your-MacBook/

The OP hasn't been back here for several weeks so should we conclude that he found a way to make it work?

Quote Originally Posted by routalot View Post
    The OP hasn't been back here for several weeks so should we conclude that he found a way to make it work?
    Maybe so.
    Just for a side note. My softeare:
    With win10. i5, and a 1050ti gfx card I get kicked out of autodesk if a certain amount of toolpaths are selected to simulate.
    With Win7, i5, and a gtx640 card it's slower but doesn't crash.

This is on pc at around 1280 resolution setting so laptop would prob be about the same.
    New kit is getting worse not better!.