584,798 active members*
4,408 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Mastercam > Master cam swarf 4axis finishing inconsistency

Master cam swarf 4axis finishing inconsistency

I am trying to manufacture a rotary die cutter i am not sure if anyone is familier with this application but anyone willing to help can google it and attached is a picture of the work piece

My main problem is finishing the blade of the cutting edge of the work piece its 45degrees angle perpendicular from the z axis and the tip width is 0.04mm the problem is that i try to finish this blade using a 4axis machine with a ball nose tool and the end result is that i get inconsistent tip width varying from 0.0mm to 0.1mm while the part itself its 0.04mm.

Any suggestions??
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Screenshot_20220308-220636_Samsung Internet.jpg  

Re: Master cam swarf 4axis finishing inconsistency

Look at using RollDie option in the Chooks. or application based on what version you are running.
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)
    Cadcam
    Software and hardware sales, contract Programming and Consultant , Cad-Cam Instructor .

Try making sheets and extend the edges of the sheets. It should tighten up the scallop issue's

I would try the sheets op. first also. Sounds like you just don't have enough machining suface. Using sheets will fix that issue.

Quote Originally Posted by RickPhillips View Post
    Try making sheets and extend the edges of the sheets. It should tighten up the scallop issue's
    Are you saying to make Sheet solid extensions or do you mean Surfaces as extension run off surfaces?
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)
    Cadcam
    Software and hardware sales, contract Programming and Consultant , Cad-Cam Instructor .

Quote Originally Posted by Ragyw View Post
    My main problem is finishing the blade of the cutting edge of the work piece its 45degrees angle perpendicular from the z axis and the tip width is 0.04mm the problem is that i try to finish this blade using a 4axis machine with a ball nose tool and the end result is that i get inconsistent tip width varying from 0.0mm to 0.1mm while the part itself its 0.04mm.

Any suggestions??
    Looks like a "nappy" (or diaper) cutter

If you keep tool centreline on rotary centreline...ie 4 axis toolpath...
    Your issue would be related to the vertical linework cut- point on the ballnose is different to the horizontal cut-point. ( a very small arc error)

Rotary cutters, brings back old memories
    We used PEPS, later switched to Mastercam (used an ANCA control g-gode to turn an XY path onto a rotary radius).
    We could not rectify that 4 axis error, had to be finished off manually under microscope etc.)
    5 axis paths we too new to the company and I had left before any attempts.