585,719 active members*
4,054 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > BobCad-Cam > 4 AXIS TOOL PATH NEVER TOUCHES PART

4 AXIS TOOL PATH NEVER TOUCHES PART

v31
    So, I am learning about 4 axis now. Been following Al Depaldo on his axe handle example on youtube.
    I can create a cylinder and paste the exact 4 axis feature and it works great. When I create an axe handle. The 4 axis toolpath never touches part.
    I have attached a zip file with my test file.
    Is my problem with my SOLID CREATION, STOCK DEFINITION, UCS.
    I am stopped, now at a loss.
    I appreciate any help. This is my winter goal to figure out 4 axis when I'm snowed in and my shop is cold.

Thanks
    jc

Lightbulb Re: 4 AXIS TOOL PATH NEVER TOUCHES PART

I have updated my issue. I would really like to figure out this problem. Just for the sake of solving it. It's only on this part that I having the problem.
    I attached a small 1" fixture, and set my indexes on that fixture assuming that it was an ucs or index problem with the 4 axis. Still, the toolpath looks to be .25 above part, and a definite arc that has nothing to do with my solid. when I compute. It never touches part. I moved model to another 4 axis setup that I have no problem milling parts with. I have attached a new file under the new routine.
    This is a puzzle that I am not getting anywhere with. I have other parts that I use this same routine, no problem. The 4 axis toolpath is tight to the part. But this one is not working. So, is it a problem with ucs, index, part creation, or do I need to upgrade to pro ?

So if you like bobcad puzzles. Look at the file I have uploaded to google drive

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1F3Q...ew?usp=sharing

Thanks, Any help would be appreciated.
    JC
    you can also call me or DM at 304 994 2976

Also, anyone working with bobcad in the southern west virginia, or lower virginia / roanoke, blacksburg, that would like to meet up. DM or call me.

Re: 4 AXIS TOOL PATH NEVER TOUCHES PART

Hello JC,

I did call you today but it went to voice mail that wasn't set up ( you sound like me)...

Based on your file it's not clear to me the issue you are having.

1- Your machine setup location is on center line for the part correct?
    2 - On your Rotary toolpath did you plan on using an endmill or ball end mill?
    3- Have you run the part or just looked at simulations?

Attachment 478068

Attachment 478070

Attachment 478072

You'll notice the toolpath isn't displayed directly on the part, due to the compensation of the cutter. Tool is being driven by the center of tool and the tip of the tool.
    Al DePoalo
    Partner Product Manager BobCAD CAM, Inc. 866-408-3226 X147

Re: 4 AXIS TOOL PATH NEVER TOUCHES PART

Al,
    Thanks for the reply. I think you are correct. It's using a square cutter, instead of a ball mill.
    Also, when I use a smaller cutter .125 it cuts closer to the part. Problem solved. This was an interesting one.
    I really appreciate the reply, I spend 6-8 hours a day on bobcad for the last 8 years. This is my main platform.
    The amount of features that bobcad has is great. It's a never ending puzzle. Can't wait to see what you come up with next
    Thanks
    jc