585,708 active members*
3,948 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Community Club House > International / Regional Forums > USA Club House > Help on DeWalt DWP611 US Conversion for SuperPID Controller

Question Help on DeWalt DWP611 US Conversion for SuperPID Controller

Hi Everyone !!!

Thank you in advance for any help you can give me.

I purchased a SuperPID Controller for a small CNC Router table that I have. I was supplied with a DeWalt DWP611 router that I am trying to convert to operate with the SuperPID controller. I have been working with the manufactor of the controller to get more specific instructions on my US version DeWalt DWP611 with limited success. My conversations started on February 9th and the last one "today - March 14th" still leaves me with questions.

The supplied ".zip" file has me connecting the two power wires together "thick wires" and cutting the "thin three wires" on the module. Mine has "four thin wires" and I just need verification that I need to disconnect all four wires. I just get the same response "I am sorry I cannot tell you which wire from your photos. Are you not able to follow the guided photos that we provide? They show the wires labeled clearly and go through each step. You will need to unzip the file." Problem is the photo has the module taped up so you cannot see the wires!!! I wonder if she has looked at the photos.

Has anyone completed the conversion and would be able to assist me in verifying that I am cutting the correct wires? I have photos and will post if someone can assist in identifying the correct wires to cut.

Thanks again,
    Steve

Re: Help on DeWalt DWP611 US Conversion for SuperPID Controller

Please post some pictures. The description is a bit confusing. For 120V you would want to switch the ''hot'' wire (normally black or brown) from the router motor. I would expect the ''switch'' would be either an onboard or external relay controlled by the board.
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Post Re: Help on DeWalt DWP611 US Conversion for SuperPID Controller

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dawson View Post
    Please post some pictures. The description is a bit confusing. For 120V you would want to switch the ''hot'' wire (normally black or brown) from the router motor. I would expect the ''switch'' would be either an onboard or external relay controlled by the board.
    Thanks Jim

I will add several photos and the .zip file provided. I feel confident the heavy wires on the module are to be connected. It's the thin wires I'm not sure if they need to be disconnected or cut. They are talking about a different version with three wires and I just want to try to keep the leds working with the use of the controller.

Thanks for taking a look.

Steve
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 26204_611_02.jpg   26204_611_03.jpg   IMG_7724.jpg   IMG_7725.jpg  

IMG_7726.jpg  
    Attached Files Attached Files

Here is a reply I received which is the basis of the confusion. My return response is following each instruction from the gentleman who developed the controller.

With the module (typically 3 wires go to the module) the basic procedure is;

I have 6 wires, The two heavy wires that are to be connected and 4 smaller wires below (black, white, yellow and blue with plug end) going to the connector behind speed control over switch. Are these the wires referred to in "A" below? SEE IMAGE

A. Remove/cut the THIN wire to the module (powers the module electronics).
    SEE ABOVE

B. Join the two THICK wires together. These thick wires take motor power
    into and out from the module, join together to eliminate the module.

Can I just connect these two wires and leave the others attached or do they need to be removed?

C. Make sure all the wires are safely insulated as needed.

Plan to heat shrink them together.

OK, now I'm really confused. It looks like the device you are using replaces the speed control module in the router. Thus removing the wires from the module and connecting them together bypasses the module, and the power goes directly to the motor. Presumably then controlled by the new device you are installing.

The LEDs seem to be connected into the module so most likely won't work after the modification. I have no idea what the red & black wires do, or which small wires are being discussed.
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dawson View Post
    OK, now I'm really confused. It looks like the device you are using replaces the speed control module in the router. Thus removing the wires from the module and connecting them together bypasses the module, and the power goes directly to the motor. Presumably then controlled by the new device you are installing.

The LEDs seem to be connected into the module so most likely won't work after the modification. I have no idea what the red & black wires do, or which small wires are being discussed.
    Thanks Jim !!! You and I are on the same page. I got the same feeling after talking with their tech support. The red/black wires are the LED power leads. Its the four thin wires on the module I am confused with. I think my next move is to contact DeWalt and ask for an electrical schematic so I can try to follow the wiring of the module.

Thanks for looking and I will continue to look for someone who has either performed the alteration or knows the electronic of the module. If I find out how to perform the conversion I will certainly post it on the thread for future confused soles.

Thanks again !!!

Steve