585,708 active members*
3,759 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 6 of 8 45678

Re: Working On A New "Timber Frame" Design and Build.

I think I pulled some of that hair out!! Feeling like I’m over the hump though.

First cuts!! Boring holes in the laminated oak slab for bolting it down to the machine table base.

Hi Loren -FDD Always an exciting day. FDD - first dust day.. Peter

Peter, it was a good day!

The oak table slab is bolted down, and and planted the feet and leveled the machine. Ran to the city and picked up a few pieces for getting the dust collection connected before surfacing the table top.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_9443.jpg  

Chip shields installed. Dust collection connected. Still need to do a little clean up on the hose attached on the Z axis, but want to run it and see how my overall hose management is going to work.

Surfaced the table and bored and counterbored 192 holes for thread inserts. Had to cut about .045” off the oak slab to level it to the machine. Next up is cutting channel for aluminum T-slot extrusions.

Cut all the slots for the aluminum extrusions. First coat of oil finish on it after knocking down any fuzz and sharp edges with some 400 grit sandpaper.

Hi Loren - Well done has "turned" out to be a beautiful machine. Make lots of dust to fill up that pit. Peter

Thanks Peter!

The "pit" is for fitting a 4th rotary axis. I have one of the Nema23 Belt drive China specials on my other machine. It does not have enough holding power or the resolution for the work I do on the rotary. Looking for other options. Anyone have suggestions without selling a kidney to pay for it?

I came across this and looking to see if it would fit in my pit and do the job.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3256...500259245%21sh

Now that was a job installing 192 thread inserts and drilling and drive 176 holes for the extrusions.

I installed the pneumatic components to power the air cylinder counter-balance then tuned the Clearpath motor again with the counter balance. Graphing the torque for the up and down movement of the Z axis was well balanced after the tuning. I have maybe 12 -15 psi on the cylinder and while the Z axis is moving I can hear the air flowing in and out of the 7 gallon air tank. At the end of the day the Clearpath motor really doesn't need the balance, but I did get a little more top speed out of the movement with the balance.

I ordered the rotary head linked above and requested a 4 jaw chuck instead of the 3 jaw shown. Now playing the waiting game for the vendor to ship and it to make the trip across the pond. I also ordered a tailstock separately which is coming from a vendor here in the states. I already have the linear rails and bearing blocks.

I have been working out the details of the rotary install and took a couple of screen shots. It is set up to be able to spin a 12" x 48" piece of stock.

Cutting a logo to mount on the gantry beam.

Hi Loren - Really good work. The thread has #112 entries and is 157 days old, 6 months is a quick time to get a big machine built. Well done. Peter

edit https://youtu.be/KE2aeVO3NjU where do you get the long bits from?

Thanks Peter! My wife is not impressed...lol She kept asking when is it going to be done. My response "It's all most done" I really had hopes of getting it completed in 4-5 months. I was considering ordering an Avid, but they were 16 weeks out on delivery. I was trying to beat that time frame. I was close! I received tracking info today on the rotary head coming from China and have some aluminum and other components in route to do the build/installation of the rotary axis.

I buy a lot of cutters from Your Carbide Cutting Tool Source The cutters are made by Monster Tool (I have received some drop shipments direct from Monster) They have standard length and long cutters. No "wood" cutters though.

Here is the finished mold in the video and a part made with it.

I have since used another mold making method of cutting a wood master from hard maple, and creating the mold with silicone. The downside is I could not get a good knurl pattern in the maple, but it produced a really nice mold and part.

Hi Loren - The parts are solid moulded from what material? Urethane? Peter

Yes a soft urethane is used and a nylon base the I cut is molded into the part.

Well dang it! I end up with a few air pockets in my logo shape. I can probably fill with some clear and it will be good enough for shop art.

Hi Loren -I seal the timber with watered down pva or epoxy before I fill the txt. Then there's no chance of air coming out of the wood or the resin bleeding from the pocket ... It is a pain when it happens.. Peter

That is a good idea!

Page 6 of 8 45678