584,837 active members*
5,367 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Manual and CNC Tool grinding inquiry

I have been temporarily retired by choice for about seven years, but I been getting the itch to get back to work. I previously worked in the fabrication, welding, machining trades since 1993. I am 47 years old now. When I was last employed, tool grinders were seen as a dying breed andI always had a curiosity in that skill. What are the go to methods when tool grinding comes to mind? Is it cheaper these days to toss out the broken end mills and drill bits and order new ones or are tool grinders in demand to resharpen or grind specialty cutters? I know that it is an art, but at the same time CNC is replacing much of the skill. Is it worthwhile to dive into this skill. I am not looking to add to my resume, just more or less want to change the scenery in the fabrication industry. I should mention that I do have CNC and CAD/design experience from back when I was working. What do I need to know before I decide to invest in this curiosity? What should I be asking myself that I am not going to know without having any tool grinding experience outside of resharpenning drill bits on a Home Depot drill sharpener?

Re: Manual and CNC Tool grinding inquiry

...the cost is the driving factor for the hobbyist.... Precision Tooling investment, Machinery involved..
    example A is needed for endmill flute grinding.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/25132777927...wAAOSwOWtgAg2J

https://www.ebay.com/itm/22470894618...IAAOSwo8thnnTL

Re: Manual and CNC Tool grinding inquiry

Hey there, considering diving back into the fabrication game and giving tool grinding a shot, huh? That's awesome! Tool grinders still have their place, especially for resharpening and those fancy specialty cutters. And guess what? Your CNC and CAD background will totally come in handy! You're like a pro already! ������ Just ask yourself if you're into the nitty-gritty precision stuff and enjoy solving fabrication puzzles. It might take some time to get the hang of it, but who doesn't love a good challenge, right? Check out local workshops or hit up the web for some cool resources to get started. The best part? You get to change up the scenery in the industry and try something fresh!