585,969 active members*
4,381 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Machine Moved, Gantry Repositioned

Hello guys, New here. Just bought a used AVID cnc router with clearpath/technik servos. The machine was jogged xyz during demo, was disassembled and had to move and transport to another location.

Now that I am re-assembling it and throwing the x-axis beam back onto the servo drives, anything I need to be aware of? Alignment, pre power-on checklist?

Both servos had been slid to another location independently during cleaning and transport (unpowered/disconnected).

Before I power on and do anything, My fear is that the servos may go in random directions, mostly due to the lack of my knowledge of not having ran a cnc like this before.

Any tips or suggestions for power on? Will the servos try to go back to their initial position? or do I manually home everything after tramming? The machine is using mach 4 and has crew 9.

Thanks in advance!

Mike

Re: Machine Moved, Gantry Repositioned

I would expect that homing is all that should be required. Something you would do on any power up.
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dawson View Post
    I would expect that homing is all that should be required. Something you would do on any power up.
    ^+1

Once powered up and running cut out a square of a decent size and measure the diagonals to verify that the alignment hasn't been disturbed.The bigger the square,the easier it will be to find discrepancies-but hopefully none will be present.

Before I power on and do anything, My fear is that the servos may go in random directions, mostly due to the lack of my knowledge of not having ran a cnc like this before.
    In this case, power up the machine with the motors off the machine, or with the pinions disengaged from the gear racks.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)