584,829 active members*
5,330 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

3D CAM questions.

How to add rectangular geometry?

No trimming functionality in 3D CAM?

Re: 3D CAM questions.

Every CAM program is different, so what works with one might not with another. But f you want to add geometry or cut existing geometry, that's usually done in CAD first, then exported to the CAM program.
    Andrew Werby
    Website

Quote Originally Posted by awerby View Post
    Every CAM program is different, so what works with one might not with another. But f you want to add geometry or cut existing geometry, that's usually done in CAD first, then exported to the CAM program.
    Thanks Andrew,
    There are ways to add features, and I've created some circles and used Boleen functions to modify features originating in Partmaster 2D, then imported via DXF to 3D CAM for conversion/modification to a Solid...like creating a Face from a sketch, then rotating the Face to create a Solid Cylindrecal Part. However often there aren't any visible to me ways to do some things like trimming intersections. The Rectangular Geometry function allows looks like it requires me to create points first to establish opposite corners if I'm creating new geometry... although there seems to be an area that may allow coordinate inputs for the first corner then perhaps absolute values for the opposite corner? I'm enjoying having the capability to work with solids,ust dont have my head around the processes yet, but yes one could bring in plane geometry from a 2D dxf, explode it, and move it into position for conversion into 3D. I just want to know the limits of working within 3D CAM.

I also don't see a way to select an axis to rotate a face or wireframe around...always X?

Ken

Hello Ken,

The geometry and solid option in 3DCAM are limited, most people use a separate CAD to import DXF/STEP/IGES files.

However, you can produce shapes as shown in this example https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0J60l_JGN7g

There are also a lot of videos on the Support page of the website ...... https://www.dolphincadcam.com/support/videos/3d-cam/

You can use the GEOM > Transformations to move the chosen object - geometry or solids

Attachment 477870

Regards
    Andre

Thank you Andre,
    Yes, I import DXF files from created, exported, Partmaster 2D CAD. It's good to be able to create / manipulate geometry from within 3D CAM. I created a solid model piston and added / modified features from within 3D CAM. I'll keep at it and become more proficient with it as I learn the softwares capabilities. It's becoming easier too as I learn to select and manipulate processes from the Objects, Options and Properties Areas. Since there are no intersect options, I can place points at intersections, delete the geometry, then recreate the geometry with correct beginning and ending positions. It's quite versatile and a real benefit to generate Solid models, toolpath simulations and Code from one software that I own.
    I had one 3D CAM file that kept terminating on me, with me needing to save it every few operations so I could continue. Any thoughts on what would cause that to occur on that one file? Maybe it's something I'm doing?
    Also, when trying to create a particular face from Sketches, I get a "Brep_API" error message. What is that?

Thanks for your help and best regards,
    Ken

Hello Ken,

I'm not sure about the error message, can you send me the file you are working please [email protected]

Best regards
    Andre

The error goes away if I put .0001" value in "Geometry Tolerance" register, then I can convert the sketch to a face. Perhaps when I create trimmed lines my system doesn't generate a precise enough intersection. I'm on a laptop without a dedicated graphics card. Don't know.

Hi Ken,

Well spotted - I was playing around with your file but couldn't reproduce the error - maybe my setup is slightly different.

I'll bear this in mind for the future.

Thank you for sharing this.

Best regrds
    Andre

Because each CAM programme is unique, what works with one programme might not work with another. However, if you want to cut or add geometry, you typically do that in CAD first before exporting to the CAM programme.