585,582 active members*
3,657 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

HAAS Super Mini Mill

I'm having a problem with the tool changer umbrella, the other day i ran a program that i've ran before and it went to change to tool 1 and it froze as soon as it got under the spindle. I checked the tool in and out sensors and all check good i'm thinking the motor that brings the umbrella to and from the spindle may be bad but not sure. is there any parameters or anything in the HAAS that i would be able to tell for sure if that motor is bad? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ford25,

Be sure to check the limit switches that tell if the changer is extended or retracted. I have had to clean ours twice. They get gummed up, and the plunger ges stuck. I know you said they are good, but It's worth a check. We have VF2, so I am not sure if they are the same. Good Luck.

Steve

When you start tool change you can see on diagnostic screen which limit switches works which not work. On control panel you have button for diagnostic.
    Emil

Did you have an error code?

Also, there is a diagnostics page (can't remember how to get there now - been over a year) that will show you if your switches are open or closed (shows 1 or 0). This page is very handy for diagnosing problems if you can find it.

Rod

I cleaned the limit switches and tested them on the diagnostics page with a thin piece of metal and i'm getting a switch between (1 and 0) and the lights on both sensors are working. I'm thinking i might have lost the gear motor that drives the umbrella in and out, does anyone know if there may be a fuse that runs to the motor?

I don't know about fuses but I do know that machines dating around 2004-2005 sometimes had bad motors on the shuttle and carousel. I had three replaced under warranty. If your machine is this age that could be the problem.

You should be getting an error message, what does it say?
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

I'm assuming you have done a tool recovery, and nothing happens? What is the error code?

yea i've tried the tool recovery and nothing happens. the error message that i'm getting is shuttle in or out fault.

Blake

Quote Originally Posted by Ford25 View Post
    yea i've tried the tool recovery and nothing happens. the error message that i'm getting is shuttle in or out fault.

Blake
    Can you move the shuttle by hand? I have done it by taking the cover off and rotating the crank arm by hand. You should be able to move to either end of the travel and see the bits change on the Diagnostics page.

If you cannot turn the crank arm by hand something has come adrift inside the motor.

which one is it shutlle in or shuttle out what is the number? If the motor makes it to the spindle the motor is probably good. i am assuming these are proximity sensors since you used a piece of metal to check them. did you look at the swing arm and see if it is loose some thimes the setscrew comes loose and the arm works its way toward the front of the machine and then the switches or proxes will not see the swing arm. relays k0-k12 on the io board control the motor you can swapo them around and see if the problem changes also pull the brushes on the motor.

The umbrella was stuck on the in position and it took three people to push it back so it was pretty hard to push back I didn't know if it was supposed to be that tough. now that we got it in the out position and now we are getting the shuttle in fault code. I swapped some of the relays around and it didn't do anything different and checked the fuse and everything looks fine. i'm about to check the brushes in the motor and hopefully it just that.

thank ya'll for you help,
    Blake

Due to the type of camming action used by the umbrella, it can be very tough to move. The easiest way (that I found) was to use a pry on the back to move the arm. Pushing the umbrella works against the advantage of the cam, making it as hard as you possibly can make it...

If you put your hand on the motor when you do a recover (or tool change), do you feel the motor buzzing or trying to move?

IF the motor is not moving it at all now, it might be worth taking the motor off (note:- tight clearances involved... best tool I found was a mini ratchet from Canadian Tire with an allen key in it) http://tinyurl.com/yq8olu This is NOT a fun job, mainly due to the clearances involved. Despite the low weight etc. this job is much easier with two people (one "in" the mill, one behind. Make sure it is powered down and locked out). Better yet, if you can, have a haas guy in. You can ask for them to bring a motor or whatnot with them to avoid multiple trips. They are _supposed_ to have a stocked van with them when they come. I can't remember, but there are probably some small bits which will try to escape as you pull it apart, and some bushings etc. ie - clean the machine well before pulling anything off, otherwise finding "escapees" is frustrating.

well i just got the motor apart and the magnets came out in about 8 different pieces, so yea its the motor. if I was able to get a haas guy to come out where i am that would be great but I don't think they will come over here. Would anyone happen to know how much these motors usually run? Thanks for all ya'lls help i really appreciate it!

Blake

Quote Originally Posted by Ford25 View Post
    well i just got the motor apart and the magnets came out in about 8 different pieces, so yea its the motor. if I was able to get a haas guy to come out where i am that would be great but I don't think they will come over here. Would anyone happen to know how much these motors usually run? Thanks for all ya'lls help i really appreciate it!

Blake
    Ithink the price was in the 300.00 region and you might find you have to get it from Haas because it is not available directly from the manufacturer.

The magnets coming adrift is the defect I mentioned in an earlier post. The story I was given was that the motor manufacturer changed the glue formulation for glueing the magnets inside the motor housing and it was faulty.