585,761 active members*
4,163 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Spindles / VFD > Askpower VFD on / off from computer
Page 1 of 2 12

Hybrid View

Askpower VFD on / off from computer

Hello guys, I’ve been a long time lurker in the forums and I can tell some of you are seriously talented in this area but all that aside I cannot find any explicit advice so I’m forced to ask what seems to have been asked 100s of times before and for that I apologise.

So, I’ve got the askpower VFD 2.2kw and I’ve got it setup nicely, and I feel like I understand all the parameters.

What I’m trying to do is get the control circuit working.

I have an XYZ carve with their AIO board that will output 0-10, so I’ve taken that and ground to the VFD, changed the parameters and I can set the spindle frequency, so far so good!

I’m struggling to get the computer to start and stop the spindle, And I feel like I’m so close. From what I’ve read here i think I need to link ground and forward. But until I understand what this is doing I daren’t do it.

Can anyone help me with this last little step?

I will be eternally grateful!

If you need links or pictures I can provide!

Jason

Re: Askpower VFD on / off from computer

This is my control board
    https://www.3dtek.xyz/2019/02/14/grb...configuration/

This is the manual for the VFD
    https://cdn.hackaday.io/files/255641...0UserGuide.pdf

I do not use the coolant feature (woodworking) so I think I can use this trigger to fire the relay?
    https://www.3dtek.xyz/2021/01/07/grb...oolant-output/
    Last edited by Jason-m; 03-30-2022 at 02:24 PM. Reason: Adding details

Also, there is a DIR output on the board, should they go to FWD?

Quote Originally Posted by Jason-m View Post
    As typical with Chinese origin equipment, it is extremely sparse on details.
    Your VFD appears to have a 12v fed PLC for the functions, with Opto's that require sink to GND.
    But the Boards shows virtually nothing in the way of details on any outputs that it may have.
    If for example it had a opto output or transistor sink to GND it would be simple to interface it.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Quote Originally Posted by Al_The_Man View Post
    As typical with Chinese origin equipment, it is extremely sparse on details.
    Your VFD appears to have a 12v fed PLC for the functions, with Opto's that require sink to GND.
    But the Boards shows virtually nothing in the way of details on any outputs that it may have.
    If for example it had a opto output or transistor sink to GND it would be simple to interface it.
    Don't we all wish it could work like this, the VFD Drive being used is the worst drive ever made / sold for anyone to use, then coupled to a Grbl Board it's not easy but can work with careful integration.
    Mactec54

You will need an add on Board something like this to be able to have spindle control
    https://www.cnc4pc.com/c41s-pwm-vari...rol-board.html
    Mactec54

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    You will need an add on Board something like this to be able to have spindle control
    https://www.cnc4pc.com/c41s-pwm-vari...rol-board.html
    This will work, not because I need the frequency PWM, because it has the two relays built in, is this what you intended? So I feed it with a PWM signal and it fires relay one which gives it strt stop, and relay two gives the analogue 0-10 for frequency. That right?

This will work, not because I need the frequency PWM, because it has the two relays built in, is this what you intended? So I feed it with a PWM signal and it fires relay one which gives it strt stop, and relay two gives the analogue 0-10 for frequency. That right?
    No, the PWM to Analog this is only for the 0-10v speed control this would be connected to the Step / Dir that you have spare
    Mactec54

I have 0-10 PWM and 0-10 analogue on this board. So I’m ok with speed control.

@mactec54 I’m hoping you may input on this based on your knowledge of this VFD

Don't know your Breakout Board, if it has a On / Off relay built in then that be can be connected to the VFD Drive so you will have FWD and GND for the On / Off control

DIR is not normally used for this connection, but test it with a meter and see what the the voltage does when you turn it On / Off with a M3 and M5

Yes, using the coolant output, you could turn a Rely On / Off with that output, just make sure you have a snubber on it, or the relay may damage the circuit
    Mactec54

VFD Drives are almost all the same, I have not seen this VFD Drive before, all I need is a manual, as I have worked with more than a Hundred different VFD Drives, I have repaired and installed thousands of them.

It's not the VFD Drive you have a problem with, it is your control and Breakout Board
    Mactec54

you can use ssr to on/off thru your power vfd, try using dir pin or another output available ... i use ssr dc(24dc) to ac (220vac) and 1 pin output to on/off my spindle ... you might have diff type ssr dc to ac ...

Quote Originally Posted by asuratman View Post
    you can use ssr to on/off thru your power vfd, try using dir pin or another output available ... i use ssr dc(24dc) to ac (220vac) and 1 pin output to on/off my spindle ... you might have diff type ssr dc to ac ...
    This would not help at all as he needs PWM for speed control as well
    Mactec54

Thanks guys, my board has 0-10 output and I’ve got it setting the RPMs with that, with the HY branded VFD it only needs two wires but this one certainly needs a signal to FWD. I’m just figuring out how to get it.

My BOB does not have a dedicated on off which is irritating!

That said, I’m going to look at using the coolant pins I think and give the FWD a signal from there.

If that dosnt workout, how can I do it? Any way to link rhe 0-10 to fwd to get the same result?

This is the details of the Coolant pins. If I wanted to use this to run a relay, I’d have to alter my post processor to add the m7/8/9 commands at the start and end of each g code?

There must be a better way ������*������

This is the details of the Coolant pins. If I wanted to use this to run a relay, I’d have to alter my post processor to add the m7/8/9 commands at the start and end of each g code?

There must be a better way ??*??
    The coolant output would be to turn the Relay On / Off you should be able in your control to reconfigure the M7 to use the M3

The PWM connection would use the Step / Dir output
    Mactec54

@mactec54 do you know what the VFD relays do?

@mactec54 do you know what the VFD relays do?
    The VFD Relays are for connecting to things like a water pump a coolant pump a cooling fan the Relays have a limit on what they can drive as the amp rating must be less than the VFD Drive Relay specs.
    Mactec54

So I’ve spoken to the OEM of the board, the DIR is redundant and no longer driven….great.

So am I doomed to this VFD not being capable of on/off when coupled with this GRBL board do you think? The VFD manual is linked to in my second post as it the “AIO” board from 3Dtek

Page 1 of 2 12