584,879 active members*
5,311 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Spindles / VFD > Askpower VFD on / off from computer
Page 2 of 2 12

Re: Askpower VFD on / off from computer

Ok I had some time to look at your Controller Breakout Board you have a 0-10v output for speed control

So, you have to check this is working on your board, if it is not you have to return the Board to have this feature added it says to do this in the manual

The speed control is the main part to get working on the Board you have, then you won't need a add on Breakout Board for the 0-10v speed control.

From the manual
    In addition, for some versions/production batches of the AIO card, we have opted not to populate the 12V regulator that manages the 0-10V and 12V PWM options. Again, if the functionality you require cannot be managed you are welcome to send the card to 3Dtek for an update.

So, forget about the PWM connection just focus on the 0-10v connection (Dir) I don't see any information on this Pin so ask the manufacture, this may be the On / Off for the VFD FWD control

Do not connect this to the VFD Drive until you have the 0-10v working at the Board 0-10v output, this will work by doing a M3S6000, by using different speed settings the voltage needs to change
    Mactec54

I’ve tried to link ground and fwd as a hard link and even that’s not setting the spindle going. Surely that should work. Or do I need to give power too? My VFD has power already supplied to each of the direction ports I’ve read

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    Ok I had some time to look at your Controller Breakout Board you have a 0-10v output for speed control

So, you have to check this is working on your board, if it is not you have to return the Board to have this feature added it says to do this in the manual

The speed control is the main part to get working on the Board you have, then you won't need a add on Breakout Board for the 0-10v speed control.

From the manual
    In addition, for some versions/production batches of the AIO card, we have opted not to populate the 12V regulator that manages the 0-10V and 12V PWM options. Again, if the functionality you require cannot be managed you are welcome to send the card to 3Dtek for an update.

So, forget about the PWM connection just focus on the 0-10v connection (Dir) I don't see any information on this Pin so ask the manufacture, this may be the On / Off for the VFD FWD control

Do not connect this to the VFD Drive until you have the 0-10v working at the Board 0-10v output, this will work by doing a M3S6000, by using different speed settings the voltage needs to change
    My speed control is working my VFD receives the speed when I send command and resets to 0000 when I send the stop command

Because I have both a 0-10 (I’m using this) and a 0-5v output that will only be active with start stop commands can I use the 0-5v as the forward signal? Ever done this before?

Quote Originally Posted by Jason-m View Post
    Because I have both a 0-10 (I’m using this) and a 0-5v output that will only be active with start stop commands can I use the 0-5v as the forward signal? Ever done this before?
    It dosnt work lol. I’m bloody lost

Right! I’ve managed to crack it now……for all of you that need to get this working here’s what I did.

0-10 and ground went to 10v in and ground.
    Because on the askpower VFD all connections are pre supplied with 12v all I needed to do was link forward and ground to get it to spin.

The trick that I was missing was PN07 set to 2 which allows for multi start signal. Then the other settings already discussed was PN03 to 4 (0-10) and PN04 to 2 external signal.

Thanks for all the help and I hope this finding also helps someone

Right! I’ve managed to crack it now……for all of you that need to get this working here’s what I did.

0-10 and ground went to 10v in and ground.
    Because on the askpower VFD all connections are pre supplied with 12v all I needed to do was link forward and ground to get it to spin.

The trick that I was missing was PN07 set to 2 which allows for multi start signal. Then the other settings already discussed was PN03 to 4 (0-10) and PN04 to 2 external signal.

Thanks for all the help and I hope this finding also helps someone
    Yes, almost anyone could of told you to jumper the FWD and GND this can only be used like this for testing.

This is an unsafe practice and can't stay like this for safety, this means you have just by passed how to turn the VFD Drive on. it needs to be turned on by a switch of some type a Relay can be used or by logic,

The 0-5 output you have from the Breakout Board should turn on a Relay the Relay would then connect to the FWD and GND connection on the VFD Drive
    Mactec54

Also if the BOB has a open collector opto output (and many do), you can usually wire direct to the VFD FWD input, a little reverse engineering of the BOB output pin can tell the story.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Quote Originally Posted by Al_The_Man View Post
    Also if the BOB has a open collector opto output (and many do), you can usually wire direct to the VFD FWD input, a little reverse engineering of the BOB output pin can tell the story.
    There's not much information on his Board, I'm sure he could get it though from the manufacture, the 0-5v output may not turn on the VFD Drive as it has 12v requirement
    Mactec54

Thanks for that mactec. So, is it unsafe because I’m making the VFD “always on” I’ve also set the minimum run time frequency to 160hz so it is essentially turning itself off when below that right? Why is this unsafe? (Not disputing it just wanting to understand it)

There's not much information on his Board, I'm sure he could get it though from the manufacture, the 0-5v output may not turn on the VFD Drive as it has 12v requirement
    The VFD has 12v to all control pins. And the 0-5v would only be live when the m2 command is given and only proportionally between 0-400hz

The VFD has 12v to all control pins. And the 0-5v would only be live when the m2 command is given and only proportionally between 0-400hz
    if you are running a 400Hz spindle then you have a minimum speed that must be set in the VFD Drive for your spindle, is it air cooled or water cooled, there is no 0-400Hz spindles they all have a minimum speed that must be set.

The 0-5v is to control the speed, you have to have an On / Off independent of the speed control, it is not safe to use without it.
    Mactec54

if you are running a 400Hz spindle then you have a minimum speed that must be set in the VFD Drive for your spindle, is it air cooled or water cooled, there is no 0-400Hz spindles they all have a minimum speed that must be set.

The 0-5v is to control the speed, you have to have an On / Off independent of the speed control, it is not safe to use without it.
    Why is it not safe. What’s going to happen?

Generally speaking, you do not control the speed with the 0-5v/10v signal, you 'set' the required speed, IOW if you issue a M3 fwd command, the drive goes through its programmed start/accel rate etc.
    Likewise, when a stop on a M5, the drive starts its decel rate down to 0 rpm.
    If you use any kind of manual control for speed, the drive does not actually stop or power off the output IGBT's at zero RPM, the Stop cuts this power.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Why is it not safe. What’s going to happen?
    If you value your fingers at all, when changing a cutter the spindle can start, because you have a jumper across the FWD and Ground you have no control ( No isolation for On / Off) of what the VFD Drive might do, with any stray EMI the spindle can start, this is also a safety violation.

There are somethings you can do that are marginal, and some you can't, this is one that is in the not to do ever list.
    Mactec54

Ok, got it. Thanks.

I’m going to put an “arm” “disarm” switch in the link. Thanks for explaining the risk.

Page 2 of 2 12