584,805 active members*
5,350 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking > MetalWork Discussion > Should I buy this spindle??

Should I buy this spindle??

Hello everyone,

I have a line on a brand new Colibris spindle, but I can't use it anymore for my CNC project. This is a top of the line spindle, apparently one of the world's finest spindle manufacturers.

the specs are located here:

http://www.colibrispindles.com/pdf/ZAL.pdf

The particular one I could purchase goes up to 60000RPM, 0.2uM axial and radial runout, 1.2KW, 0.5-5mm collet. I can get this for 1000$US, which is probably too good of an offer to pass up. If I wanted to buy and sell it to fund another project of mine, I would want about 500$ for my trouble. Does anyone need something like this? Or do you think I would have problems selling it? Or, should I not bother buying it?

Apparently, a similar spindle, just with about 50% more power and a different tooling interface is worth 24000$. I don't really know what it is worth.

It's a shame that my current CNC project didn't work out, due to financial reasons. This spindle is far too good to put on my Taig, it's like putting a ferrari engine in a chevette

Steve

p.s.- if this is an inappropriate question, I apologize.
    Steve
    "Drink your school, stay in drugs, and don't do milk!"

The tooling makes a big difference. I see lots of standard collet spindles and motors available. A quick-change head makes a difference between paying $1,500 for a collet and $5,000 for an atc spindle head (at the bare minimum for starters).
    WWW.RAIDGEAR.NET - FFC cables, foam headset replacement parts, and other gadgets.

hmm, it's a manual collet. I didn't have a need for automatic tool change,

My concern is that there are two main markets for CNC machines that I know of. The hobbiest / semi-professional and the high end. The hobbiests do not want to pay 1500$ on a spindle, then another 1500$ to get it operating (bare minimum). The corporations that use these products (Boeing, NASA) won't purchase something like this from a private citizen.

I just thought it was a great offer on a perfectly new and extremely accurate spindle, but I don't think there's a market for it. It would have went nicely on my planned machine, but my friend (who I was sharing costs with) thought the project was too expensive to continue.

Making a decent CNC machine is big $$$$$, we were going to spend about 7000$US to make a small 20X15X10" travel machine.

Steve
    Steve

I think there would be someone, somewhere who may want a spindle like that. There is a classifieds section here you can list it on.
    WWW.RAIDGEAR.NET - FFC cables, foam headset replacement parts, and other gadgets.

Maybe I'll just buy it and hope for the best Thanks for responding

Steve

p.s. - you make some spectacular dyes for your clothes on that site, never seen anything like that before!
    Steve

Oh thank you. The dyes on the clothes are hand-mixed. I was in the process of building a cnc machine to apply the print patterns. I ran out of space in the garage to complete the project. And naturally concepts are easier to plan and design then they are to implement.

I could be interested in something like this but I assume that it is a spindle only with no controller unit?

Yeah ,it has no controller, but I am getting the specs tonight for the driver. One needs to know a bit about the motor, hopefully it is setup for a 220V AC single phase supply (to controller). It also needs a clean air supply (dry and filtered) and a water cooling unit.

If you had all of these, it would be top notch

Steve
    Steve

Let me know what you find out. Bear in mind I'm on UK time so it could be tomorrow before I reply.
    Air supply and water cooler are no problem but I suspect it will need more than just a 220v plug to get it running!

What I meant was that the 220VAC single phase should be able to power the controller. The controller outputs the voltage for a three-phase motor at variable frequency and voltage. This is a VFD drive

I'm guessing that it would need to be high frequency drive due to its 60000RPM capability. I will get the specs by tomorrow

Steve
    Steve

Sorry, I wasn't being smart I just realised that the controller will probably be a dedicated unit and cost a fortune. So while the spindle sounds like it might be a good deal, it could end up quite expensive. Anyway, let me know what you find out and we might talk some more

Ali kat

hehe, yes, that's the reasoning for me saying that most people won't pay this much for something like this

I got a quote for a similar spindle, it was 24000$US. The controller, water-cooling unit, and filters for a compressor were an additional 6000$.

I am sure I could design one, since they're quite simple units. That would save a bit on the cash, but it would still cost about 300$ to make. The chiller is relatively easy to find on ebay or rig up something homebrew, it isn't rocket science. The air filtration and drying units aren't too badly priced on ebay, I wouldn't rig up my own.

This is kind of why I am on the fence about purchasing it,

Steve
    Steve

You've still got my attention if you reckon a home brew controller is not too difficult. I do have a number of VFD's (Jaguar??) on the shelf but these are for normal 240v Ac single phase to 220v 3 phase running normal motors (1425 rpm etc.)

Chiller and air driers are no problem - I already have the dry air and beer chillers are cheap as chips and cool really well. Anyway, living in Scotland means we don't get over freezing point very often

Cheers

Ali Kat

Ali Kat,

A homebrew controller can be designed, but it takes a bit of time and skill. I'm nearly an electrical engineer, so I can manage to stumble through and make it work. I have no idea about your skill level, so I can't decide that for you.

I will find out more about the motor and get back to you. It really depends on the input voltage requirements and the frequency limitation.

Steve
    Steve

I think I am going to go ahead and purchase it, it's from a friend on mine that works in the industry. Apparently, it's NOS (new old stock) , I will post it on ebay and if nobody wants it for a decent price, i'll keep it for that dream precision cnc machine I want to build one day !

Steve
    Steve