584,817 active members*
4,802 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > Should I upgrade from a PCNC1100 II to a 1100MX for my use case?

Should I upgrade from a PCNC1100 II to a 1100MX for my use case?

I have an old Series II mill, which is fantastic and has allowed me to make many awesome, pro-quality parts. If I had one complaint, it would be the tool holders (TTS-R8 interface), the relatively slow rapids, and the lack of enclosure. But in most conditions, those don't prevent me from doing what I want, they just require a little more thought. I use my machine for hobby projects a couple times a month - I am not running a shop.

I have been checking out the 1100MX which looks like a really cool machine. The extra speed is nice, but what I really like is the well thought-out coolant and enclosure setup, and servo motors.

At the same time, they are very expensive! Getting into Haas TM or MM territory.

Any idea how much could I get for my mill, which has PDB, ATC, and 4th axis kits?

Has anyone made the upgrade that can chime in whether it was worth it?

Re: Should I upgrade from a PCNC1100 II to a 1100MX for my use case?

Sounds like not worth upgrading to me unless you have money burning a hole in your pocket. You can go into the code and tweak rapid speeds a bit I think.. I did that years ago on my 4th axis.

I moved from an original (SN under 200) 1100-upgraded-over-time-to-S3-w/ATC to an 1100 MX, but I was moving to doing more production where the enclosure and other MX features were worthwhile, plus got a good deal on a used MX. The MX is a far nicer machine, but at the same time there's a non-trivial investment in switching to BT30 tooling and I can't slap in a 3/4" straight-shank-something or random R8 tool in anymore which I miss on occasion, plus I had to change from offline tool setting. I'd do it all over again if the same conditions came up, but more of a maybe if it was still just hobby use. I do like the enclosure and higher spindle speeds a lot.

I've heard it's possible to retrofit the enclosure and coolant stand (which is miles better than the old stand) to an older mill, but it's likely not a drop-in thing.

I actually just stopped by my local Tormach distributor and talked for over an hour about options. I got to see the new 1100MX and all the other Tormach products in person.

The previous PCNC1100 can fit onto the new stand/enclosure, but does require modifications. I LOVE the new chip and coolant handling design, and that alone is worth thousands to me.

Thanks for your input shred. I think the only random 3/4" shank tool I have ever used was a boring head and that's quite rare.

Hi Cobrakai,
    There are a number of people who have done extensive upgrades to the early S-Series machines. I am getting ready to upgrade the motor on mine to 3HP, which will of course require tweaking the VFD. There is a member here in the forum that Upgraded to the Servos on an old machine which was not covered by Tormach but out of warranty anyways so... https://www.cnczone.com/forums/torma...4-tormach.html He lists the part numbers, less the brake for the Z and gives decent instructions for what else needs adjustment.
    As for the BT30 spindle, I don't think that Tormach is being entirely honest with us about that not fitting in the earlier machines. If I had access to an MX machine I would try and swap the spindle unit and see what if any issues it caused. Even though that is my suspicion, I am currently working on a modification of the R8 to BT30 spindle with a claw, I have to finish some parts though before I can disassemble my spindle and take a look at what there is going on inside of it and what would have to be modified to make it into a quick change/ATC usable BT30 spindle.
    These would be in no particular order, nor limited to:
    Internal grinding for Taper
    Internal mods for claw to clear and activate
    Internal mods for spring system to retract claw
    See if the bearings can be reused in their current configuration, if not then that is another headache to deal with.
    Adjustments to PDB.