585,602 active members*
3,524 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Lookiing to buy and need advice on power.

Hi All,
    My main business will be cutting 3mm Acrylic with basic low detail engraving. (I believe most machines will do this) however once I have a machine I would like to expand and explore opportunities. I currently cnc heart shaped wooden boxes made from pine that I would like to photoengrave/
    I have done hours of research and I am now starting to confuse myself. Firstly I have found a machine from Ray Fine which I am looking to import. They have suggested from an 80w - 130w RECI tubes, with the 130w or 100w they suggested getting 3 different lens sizes..
    I know I'm asking for a lot from 1 machine, At this stage speed is not a major priority but in the future it will. My business plan is to buy a second machine in 12-18month.

My question is am I better going for the 130w so I can cut thicker materials & buy a cheaper 50 or 60w machine just for photo engraving? Would a K40 or k50 photo engraving be much better than. the ray fine 80w or 100w. (or can a 130w with1.5 inch lens do a reasonable photo engrave)
    or
    should i go for 80w or 100w. Are these good all-round machines? and if so is there a noticeable differance between 80 & 100w regarding engraving..
    also if anyone has experience with ray fine that would be great to hear about.as Im looking to order isoon.
    My question is am I better going for the 130w so I can cut thicker materials & buy a cheaper 50 or 60w machine just for photo engraving? Would a K50 photo engrave be much better than. the ray fine 80w or 100w.
    If anyone has experience with Ray Fine id love to hear it.

Some of my research was on you tube but most of the guys on there are sponsored or have affiliated programs,
    I'm looking for advised from people with unbiased real world experience.
    Cheers
    Mark

Re: Lookiing to buy and need advice on power.

I too am from the cnc world and had some questions when I upgraded to a laser
    I decided to go for it and chose a BOSS HP2440 Co2 150w that does have the ability to cut thin metal.
    I never thought that I would be cutting paper and cardboard with a laser but "oh man" cool stuff there

I chose the rotary accessory and don't regret it
    What one can put on a YETI tumbler, that is an excellent income as well.

And pics on wood, my first try

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Big power have a better cutting effect ,such as 130w 150w .
    Small power have a better engraving effect ,such as 80w 100w etc .
    best solution is one pcs 60w or 80w for engraving ,150w for cutting ,but is add cost .
    Second solution is choose power depend on main cutting or engraving .
    Check some video link as bellows:
    China 1390 100w laser machine engraving and cutting 10mm acrylic logo sign
    https://youtu.be/olBgrZzzR7g

1325 130w laser cutting machine cutting acrylic
    https://youtu.be/lU77efUEi6I

Thanks Allen,
    Great advice and thanks for the videos, its become obvious 1 machine wont do everything. Im going to go for a w4 100w-120w to begin with and then test the market and if need be buy a smaller unit just for engraving. Looking at Cornermans first attempt with a 150w I think with a 120w-100w with an option of using a smaller lens i could achieve a result that could at least test the market for photo engraving...
    Allen feel free to PM if you have any info on those machines, I followed link on you tube but didn't work.
    Cheers

Thanks Cornerman, Id be delighted if my first attempt is that good. Defiantly made mind up on 120w - 100w w4 tube after seeing your work. Will be placing order in next day or so then have the dreaded wait. Im also getting 1.5 a 2 and a 4inch lens which i hope will give me a slightly better range.
    Mate, Id love to see some of your other work.
    cheers

Drawer organizing
    Plastic wayer bottles
    Mandalorian Baskar
    YETI Tumblers

Mate the Yeti mugs are awesome!!! The wait is going to be unbearable I have so many Ideas I want to try...With he water bottle how did you colour the tiger? Its really good to see someones work that is more advanced but in a similar position. Its very inspirational thanks again and keep up the good work. Ill post some pics when I get started so you can have a Laugh
    Cheers

I put masking tape on the bottle, engraved the tiger. Filled in the engraved area with a Sharpie marker before I removed the tape.
    The owner removed the red ink on the opposite side and man it looks so cool through the water

Did this one for my son