585,758 active members*
4,572 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Machine Controllers Software and Solutions > LinuxCNC (formerly EMC2) > New to Linux, built a computer, need help with Linux please, installation of LinuxCNC

New to Linux, built a computer, need help with Linux please, installation of LinuxCNC

Hi guys,

Excited about building my RF-30 clone CNC machine and while I am waiting for parts and such decided to build the computer. I have been building PCs since the 80's so am familiar with computers and software and such but all Windoze, but have only dipped my toe into the Linux pool. I have played with Ubuntu a few years ago and just put together a dedicated computer for the shop. It's a 2.8Ghz dual core AMD with 4G ram and a 160G drive. Unbuntu 20.4 is up and running and I tried installing LinuxCNC from a USB stick but ran into a lot of partition and formatting questions and decisions and decided to cancel the install and get some help. I have downloaded wheezy 2.7.14 as well as 2.8 but can't figure out how Linux works. Is Debian and different platform than Ubuntu? Does LinuxCNC run as a program on Ubuntu or do I need to make a separate partition to install LinuxCNC onto, nothing to do with Ubuntu? Currently I have an 8G swap part, 60G / root and a 90G /home part.

Look forward to some Linux expertise please and thanks.

Cheers

Re: New to Linux, built a computer, need help with Linux please, installation of Linu

Could I suggest that you try running LinuxCNC as a live install for a few learning sessions?This means that you won't be dealing with issues of hard drive partitioning or formatting and still get to explore the Linux environment.To begin with you need to tell your computer which order to seek a medium to boot from and there will be a key indicated during the boot sequence to take you to a screen where you will be able to select the boot medium.If you select the usb stick,it will bring up a menu that will include a live installation.After a few minutes you will have a working live installation to play with.

If,after a few trial sessions,you feel sufficiently comfortable to commit to an installation it isn't too hard to partition the hard drive to convert to a dual boot machine.If you don't intend to retain any of the old operating system,you just format the entire drive.You can do the latency test in the live installation but it maybe a more accurate outcome if you wait until the actual installation.The configuration for your actual machine isn't hugely difficult until you add in some of the nice accessories,such as ATC.

Re: New to Linux, built a computer, need help with Linux please, installation of Linu

This morning I tried booting from the USB straight to LIVE and it worked 100%, fooled around with various things and everything worked as it should.

I have a spare 80G HD so I will install it on that, after I learn a bit more about Linux I can partition my 160G Ubuntu drive and install it on there...so much still to learn. Thankfully I am always collecting old computers and always have MBs and HDs floating around.

Thanks for the help.

Cheers

I would recommend you download the linuxcnc V 2.8 ISO and install it rather than ubuntu as it includes the necessary real time kernel patch.
    If you are feeling adventurous, use the debian Bullseye nonfree ISO and follow these instructions to build Linuxcnc from source.
    https://www.qtpyvcp.com/install/bullseye.html

If the goal is to get used to Linux by building a PC, the build form source method is a good option.
    Its basically the only way I have done it.

4 gb is fine, Celeron J1900 USFF and up or an I3 with 4 gb are good candidates.
    I bought a MSI all in one PC with touch screen for AUD $120 last week which is running sweet.
    Rod Webster
    www.vehiclemods.net.au

Quote Originally Posted by rodw View Post
    I would recommend you download the linuxcnc V 2.8 ISO and install it rather than ubuntu as it includes the necessary real time kernel patch.
    If you are feeling adventurous, use the debian Bullseye nonfree ISO and follow these instructions to build Linuxcnc from source.
    https://www.qtpyvcp.com/install/bullseye.html

If the goal is to get used to Linux by building a PC, the build form source method is a good option.
    Its basically the only way I have done it.

4 gb is fine, Celeron J1900 USFF and up or an I3 with 4 gb are good candidates.
    I bought a MSI all in one PC with touch screen for AUD $120 last week which is running sweet.
    Thanks Rod,

I ditched Ubuntu, formatted the drive and installed Wheezy 2.7.14 (before I received your message) as I am planning to use the printer port. Installed just fine and getting a little more familiar with Debian. I got a little frustrated with Linux and quit last night for a break. I couldn't find a volume control to turn up the youtube video I was watching on latency tuning, had to install Alas or ??? then another program just to change the volume, after 30 minutes of going in circles I gave up.

I'll give it another try tonight after work with a fresh mind. I had LCNC running then was mainly trying to tune the latency. Most of the time it's around 3,000-5,000 nS, then when opening web browser it jumps to 300,000. I have done the BIOS tuning but haven't tried the isoclops things yet or any command line stuff. I may ditch Wheezy and go straight to 2.8.2 tonight ? Or would 2.8 be better, your thoughts?

Appreciate the help!

Cheers

PS, I have to laugh whenever I go into my office, I must have 6 or 8 PCs laying on the floor ready for testing, none of them are new enough for iAnything, i.e. before i3 etc designations, but there are some Pentium Ds, AMD dual and quad cores, a few others, most are 2005-2009 vintage, they must have the LPT port so that eliminates a few of them.

For playing any kind of media you will find it hard to beat VLC media player-which should be in just about all Linux software repositories.