585,737 active members*
4,667 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Question Spindle selection

I'm looking for advise on spindle selection. First CNC mill build, looking to mill some custom heatsinks out of aluminium.

I've experience with building a 3d printer kit and have been getting good results from it. Good level of electronics experience, but none with milling or working with aluminium.

The structure will be this kit: https://www.makerstore.com.au/product/kit-otbv1-s-1015/
    Driven by leadscrews, rated 9kg max on the Z axis.

A ~2.2kW spindle from China looks to be roughly in the ballpark I'm looking at.

In an ideal world it'd support ATC and rigid tapping, but research so far suggests that I may need to leave at least ATC for a future build.

Needing to water cool isn't a concern. It seems that water cooling results in slightly quieter operation, so would prefer this, however I'm not sure if this makes a practical difference in reality once milling the material.

Looks like rigid tapping will require an encoder on the spindle and some feedback into the controller so that it can coordinate the Z axis movement?

1.5kW seems to be a minimum to work with aluminium, so was looking at 2.2kW for a bit more head room.

Open to ideas / comments / suggestion. There are so many options, it's hard to choose...

Re: Spindle selection

rigid tapping? yea... for such a machine you should probably do threads like datron. The advantage of that method is there is no limitation on thread size.

You'd probably want either something like this https://aliexpress.com/item/1005001955171225.html
    Or a non ATC from Gpenny https://aliexpress.com/store/5013108

That's a hefty price for a router, do you need that much work area?

There's a guy on mycncuk called jazzcnc, they can make something stronger for you for less the price, although I'm unsure about shipping costs from uk to aus. Worth a try to pm him about it.

View Profile: JAZZCNC - MYCNCUK

I recently purchased a 2.2kW JGL 80 mm ATC water cooled spindle from Jianken. Not made for rigid tapping unless using a thread mill as ardenum suggested.
    I am still awaiting my VFD, so cannot yet comment on its abilities, but my experience otherwise - email questions answered, shipping, packaging, etc - has been very positive.
    Several members on forums I am a member of have this model and are happy thus far with the performance.
    Jianken makes a large variety of spindles for all use cases - those for rigid tapping exist but are much larger and more expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by ardenum View Post

There's a guy on mycncuk called jazzcnc, they can make something stronger for you for less the price, although I'm unsure about shipping costs from uk to aus. Worth a try to pm him about it.

View Profile: JAZZCNC - MYCNCUK
    Deponds how patient you are.
    May be a bit of a waiting list on machines.
    May be able to point you in good direction.

I have my doubts about router spindles having the guts to do rigid tapping.

Thanks for the info, lots to learn here. Threading like Datron using a tap mill seems to be exactly the method I should be using for my application and this machine. With that in mind, the Jianken JGL looks like it'd be a good choice.

Hi Mark - I think your going to be disappointed with that machine cutting aluminium. Better find someone that's doing something similar with it to ensure your going to get what you need or a demo from the supplier. I think you are going to need ballscrews and a stiffer machine. 2.2kW on that machine is too big, 1.5kW or 800W will be fine. Peter