585,555 active members*
3,044 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > EdgeCam > (2022) EdgeCAM Questions

(2022) EdgeCAM Questions

Is this a very popular software? We had a demo of it last week and were quite impressed. Our shop has been using BobCAD for about 20 years now.

We currently have :

(1) Haas TL-1 Lathe
    (2) Haas ST-30 Lathes
    (2) Haas VF-2 Mills

So this is simple 2 and 3-axis milling and turning. We have struggled with inconsistencies with the BobCAD software and also poorly trained operators who are not efficient programmers. Edgecam seems to be much more "intelligent" and does much of the thinking for you, choosing the correct operations and sequences.

Looking for feedback on this software from folks that use it. I don't see many things online about it, either because it is really good and there are not a lot of questions, or nobody is using it.

Thanks

Re: (2022) EdgeCAM Questions

Edgecam works good if you have a solid model that is perfect, I'll explain, I machine larger parts that I remove a lot of material and I have roughing operation on most of my parts, so I will have many operations on a part leaving materiel on certain areas and not others, this is where Edgecam can be tricky for a inexperienced user. Edgecam has a part where you can create a solid if you want to. But it does not really fit in very well, I have been drawing/programming since the early 90's and Edgecam EWS (solid creation) reminds of those software in the 90's, the best thing I can say about Edgecam is the tech support. but that may be just the person I contact to get it. Edgecam is pricey compared to others. It is owned by Hexagon (in my opinion not a great company to work with). it will work good if you have simple parts and a solid model. or another software to create that solid model. Good luck
    Greg

This is a great forum, my name is OWEN and I just joined. Manufacturer of metal cutting tools from Shenzhen, China,

Quote Originally Posted by gsmachinist View Post
    Edgecam works good if you have a solid model that is perfect, I'll explain, I machine larger parts that I remove a lot of material and I have roughing operation on most of my parts, so I will have many operations on a part leaving materiel on certain areas and not others, this is where Edgecam can be tricky for a inexperienced user. Edgecam has a part where you can create a solid if you want to. But it does not really fit in very well, I have been drawing/programming since the early 90's and Edgecam EWS (solid creation) reminds of those software in the 90's, the best thing I can say about Edgecam is the tech support. but that may be just the person I contact to get it. Edgecam is pricey compared to others. It is owned by Hexagon (in my opinion not a great company to work with). it will work good if you have simple parts and a solid model. or another software to create that solid model. Good luck
    Greg
    Greg,

Thank you for the response. We currently design all parts, 3D Models, and create all 2D drawings in another software. We do have relatively simple parts, all designed with our production capabilities in mind. 2 and 3-axis milling, and Lathe Ops. The time that it takes to program our parts in BobCAD is something I have recognized could be improved. That is what has pushed me down the path to look for new CAM software. It feels like MasterCAM and others are simply better versions of BobCAD, whereas, EDGECAM, with its Feature Recognition capability, seems to be significantly more intelligent? I like the fact that it chooses the machining strategy for you, which can then be tweaked if need-be. We are facing a labor shortage right now and into the future, coupled with less and less experienced people coming into our shop. I feel like Edgecam (should) ease that burden.

Quote Originally Posted by 54warrior View Post
    Greg,

Thank you for the response. We currently design all parts, 3D Models, and create all 2D drawings in another software. We do have relatively simple parts, all designed with our production capabilities in mind. 2 and 3-axis milling, and Lathe Ops. The time that it takes to program our parts in BobCAD is something I have recognized could be improved. That is what has pushed me down the path to look for new CAM software. It feels like MasterCAM and others are simply better versions of BobCAD, whereas, EDGECAM, with its Feature Recognition capability, seems to be significantly more intelligent? I like the fact that it chooses the machining strategy for you, which can then be tweaked if need-be. We are facing a labor shortage right now and into the future, coupled with less and less experienced people coming into our shop. I feel like Edgecam (should) ease that burden.
    it sounds like Edgecam may be a good fit for you. then I would recommend getting the tool store setup exactly as your tools will be running, like getting tool projection and the tool holder projection and tool holder diameters setup, this can take some time. the standard tools it comes with are not really close to what we use in the USA but it is all adjustable. also the post processor can take time to get it set up, make sure you have Edgecam works with you to get that setup, this may need to be negotiated before purchasing. I can not say this enough that the post processor is most important. dealing with the code generator is above most machinist heads, it's computer programming. you will see a lot of questions on this and other forums all talking about how they need a post and help with post. Good luck