585,754 active members*
3,823 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Removing Spray Paint with C02 laser

My ultimate goal is to create a resist mask for electroplating a watch dial. I was thinking that I could spray paint a brass disc and use a laser to burn off the paint selectively to reveal my pattern which I would then electroplate, and then use acetone to remove the paint to reveal my actual design. I am not looking to mark/engrave the brass, just remove the paint.

I posted the picture of what I am leaning towards.

It would be a 28.5mm diameter disc which essentially makes my project tiny details. Would the entry level C02 lasers you see on Amazon for $150ish work for my project? Would they give me good enough resolution?

If not, what should I look for?

Re: Removing Spray Paint with C02 laser

Suck it and see. Probably not but for sure you will learn plenty. I have an expensive 1024nm engraving laser. I tried the sort of thing you are talking about but attempted to make printed circuit boards. It worked but was not worth the bother. You have to also consider the stuff generated when you burn the paint. Kills filters fast..

Quote Originally Posted by stjohn4 View Post
    Suck it and see. Probably not but for sure you will learn plenty. I have an expensive 1024nm engraving laser. I tried the sort of thing you are talking about but attempted to make printed circuit boards. It worked but was not worth the bother. You have to also consider the stuff generated when you burn the paint. Kills filters fast..
    I originally got my idea from the PCB making community. I have done toner transfer and get good results its just that the good results are inconsistent. Since this is a watch dial, when put under the glass any errors are magnified a bit. When you say it worked but wasn't worth the bother, can you explain a bit more?

Luckily, I'd be doing this in my shed with door open and fan blowing out so vapors wouldn't be an issue.

In our facility at Kern Laser Systems, we have developed innovative laser cutting technologies for CO2 lasers of 150 to 400 watts to quickly and efficiently remove materials from automobiles. Lasers are applied to thin gauge metal such as stainless steel and aluminum so they may be processed.

The CO laser can be applied to many types of materials, including wood, paper, cardboard, plastic, PMMA, and rubber. Furthermore, the laser can be used to remove stains from leather, rubber, leather, metals, and ceramics.