585,760 active members*
3,841 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Machine Controllers Software and Solutions > PlanetCNC > ExtIn board v1.0 is inverted since update

ExtIn board v1.0 is inverted since update

My ExtIn v1.0 board is inverted since one of the last 2 updates.

On is off and off is on.
    Also on a not connected Ext2 In... all inputs are shown as ON. Did I miss something? My ExtOut board was inverted too.. but that was solvable by inverting the sel pin....
    But whats about the ext in board v1.0??? This does not work at all if sel pin is inverted.

Any news on this? I can't upgrade to the current version because of this issue. I tried with a newer MK3 controller with the red connectors, but it's the same behaviour.

Even if there is no ExtInput connected at all, all Inputs are shown as ON as soon as I set the desired size in Ext settings.

I have not tried it with the new ExtInOut board, but for the current Hardware, this is a problem. If the new In Out board has inverted data pin, this may also have some safety problems when for example wire is disconnected and all inputs are ON.

Re: ExtIn board v1.0 is inverted since update

Old ExtIn board is inverted. All terminals have pull-up resistor. Recent software updates just fixed this anomaly.

With NC switches it should have expected behavior when used for shortcuts.
    If used with scripts it is not imponent - simply change script to inverted logic.

New ExtInOut can be used both ways because terminals are without resistor.

So you tell me that it is normal to show all inputs as ON if there is no external module connected?
    And changing the behaviour of the extIn after several years is ridiculous.

How could it be normal to need to rewire the entire machine after several years because of changed internal logic of inputs?
    And when changing my scripts, how could i be sure to find any extIn in amy script and in any postprpcessor and then make sure that behaviour is not changed again in future and that no one is accidentially using the changed scripts with an old tng version?

What if I update the software next time and a fundamental function completely changed without notice and what? Could that potentially kill my cnc machine because the emergency switch is inverted or up is down or whatever.

So how could i continue to use Planet CNC if there is no information on such an important change like inverting all external inputs?

What's next? Maybe an auto start function which activates the spindle while I am changing the tool by hand?

And what's about the added and changed functions in gcode manual??? "no description" at any added command since two years....

I have prefered Planet CNC because of the customizable UI and many other details, but this kind of changing fundamental working concept without notice and that incomplete documentation make me think it was not a good idea.

I totally understand your frustration an I apologize for situation.
    Yo probably know, that old ExtIn and ExtOut were not able to use same channel because
    one used inverted ssel and other one did not.

Now that this issue is fixed with new ExtInOut board this became an issue.
    Either In or out needed to be inverted. Because there are a lot more Out boards we decided
    that In will be inverted.

Now you know the reason. In my opinion it is better to fix things early rather than postpone.
    If you need any help then I can help.

ExtIn and ExtOut are much more flexible now. You can easily read value from _extin1 or assign value to _extout1 parameter.
    Or you can use extout1 expression function.

I added "Invert" option to address this issue.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails roSyJOqLM7.png  

That*s much better.

I recommend to add a warning message at first start if you have done some breaking changes.

With "breaking" I mean everything which changes the machine behaviour or may require changes in own code.