584,850 active members*
4,330 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

suggestion for a noob

I am new to CNC machines and am looking to purchase one that will allow me to cut shapes out of aluminum, wood and plastic. Z depth of at least an inch and a bed of 18" at least. Most important to me is precision. 1/100 of an inch is desirable. Specific projects I am interested in are bas relief sculptures in oak, cutting out holes in project boxes of plastic (up to 1/4" thick walls), designs in acrylic, small parts in aluminum. Is brass something I could do as well? I do not know what the limiting factor for that material is. I am not interested so much in speed as precision. My budget is <10k

Re: suggestion for a noob

https://youtu.be/frb5Uzs6M-0
    this type is more suitable for your work ,.

Re: suggestion for a noob

Hi,
    sorry to poor cold water on that machine, but its plastic and it will flex like hell. It might well do a fair job engraving wood or plastics but cutting aluminum, no.

If you are going to cut aluminum you need rigidity, about five times that you would require for wood or plastics, but still about one-tenth you'd need for steel.

When cutting a material the spindle/tool combination has to be held precisely in place and resist deflection of the cutting forces, which with even a small tool, say 6mm could
    be several kilograms or even tens of kilograms of force. Does that 'plastic fantastic' look like it could contain as little as one kilogram of force let alone ten?

I would suggest that you look to similar styles of machine, broadly called a CNC router, but very much more substantially built, with aluminum at least, but steel construction
    is better.

Craig

Quote Originally Posted by joeavaerage View Post
    Hi,
    sorry to poor cold water on that machine, but its plastic and it will flex like hell. It might well do a fair job engraving wood or plastics but cutting aluminum, no.
    If you are going to cut aluminum you need rigidity, about five times that you would require for wood or plastics, but still about one-tenth you'd need for steel.
    When cutting a material the spindle/tool combination has to be held precisely in place and resist deflection of the cutting forces, which with even a small tool, say 6mm could
    be several kilograms or even tens of kilograms of force. Does that 'plastic fantastic' look like it could contain as little as one kilogram of force let alone ten?
    I would suggest that you look to similar styles of machine, broadly called a CNC router, but very much more substantially built, with aluminum at least, but steel construction
    is better.
    Craig

With a budget of 10k and wanting to work various materials.
    I'd prob think about looking at a 3-4k 'compromise' router for the wood and plastic.
    Then the rest for a used Haas mill or something for the metals.
    That's my $0.02.

You could drop 6 figures on a router and still be underwhelmed or have grief with metalwork.