585,978 active members*
4,508 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Limit switches and homing switches

Hi all,

I am at the stage of fitting limit switches etc to my home built Router table project. What is the best type switch to use for homing switches. Are optical switches suitable or should I stick to using lever roller type with a ramp?

thanks,

Bruce

Hi Bruce,

Maybe this will answer your question! I'm in the process of taking roller and ramp switches off my machine and putting opticals on! I'm having to build enclosures to keep the dust free, and my enclosures won't be liquid proof, but could be.

Mike
    No greater love can a man have than this, that he give his life for a friend.

If you use the inexpensive Radio Shack or other inexpensive "electronic" switches, they are quite suseptible to moisture and dirt induced malfuntion.

HOWEVER, if you buy some GOOD, high dollar commercial limit switches that are made/suited for harsh environment (IE Honeywell 914CE's), you'll pay a lot for them but NEVER have to deal with them ever again. These are darn near bullet proof rolling ramp type and they are VERY well sealed and VERY, VERY robust.

Check E-bay as they can show up there from time to time.

I guess a compromise could be to use roller ramps for homing and accurate opticals for datums. Although accurate homing switches would enable them to be used for racking correction on on my master slave X Axis.

Dear all,

Do you want accuracy? If so, no matter how good the specification of the switch, ( be it optical or mechanical) , the dust will get you, even if the switch is sealed. The simple reason being that it trips not against an ideal reference surface , but an ever-changing swirling dune of dust or swarf laid on that surface.

Actually, it might not matter.

Best wishes

Martin

Martin the kind of sealed I'm talking about is inside an enclosure with gaskets and seals. There will be no dust.

Mike
    No greater love can a man have than this, that he give his life for a friend.

Quote Originally Posted by AeroKam View Post
    I am at the stage of fitting limit switches etc to my home built Router table project. What is the best type switch to use for homing switches. Are optical switches suitable or should I stick to using lever roller type with a ramp?
    As you can see you will get a range of opinions about switches.

I have optical sitches on a mill and am very happy with their performance. They are well protected from coolant and swarf.

However on a router dust is going to be an issue. I would not use optical on a router. Not saying you can't, just I wouldn't.

Now bearing in mind that this is a router and you want a level of accuracy matched to the
    type of application and trouble free operation, I would go for something like this roller type switch.

Ebay number 7621352713 . This seller also has a range of other limit switches.

Reasonable cost, pretty good dust protection, much better than a radio shack micro switch, reliable and good repeatability.

It is desiged as a limit not just a general pupose switch. For a lot less money than some.

Would I use these on a squillion dollar machining center? No. But they are a good match to your purpose.

Greg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails limit.JPG  

I think you should look at the 'similar threads' that are shown at the bottom of the page; you will find this topic has been discussed many times.

Using a switch; mechanical microswitch, optical switch, proximity detector, magnetic reed switch, whatever, is okay for a limit switch because you are not worried about good precision. Using any of these for homing and relying on the accuracy of the switch actuation for the home position is probably not okay because no matter how good the switch they do not operate with an accuracy of 0.001" or less which is really what you need for homing.

Commercial machines home using a combination of a switch and an encoder which gives a signal at a specific point in the rotation of the encoder; I think this is called the Z channel pulse or signal. The sequence is that the controller runs the axis slowly towards the limit/home position until the home switch opens. Then it reverses direction so the switch closes. As soon as the switch closes the controller starts looking for the Z channel signal and when this is detected that is the home position. This means the position is determined not by the linear movement of the axis causing a switch to open or close but by the angular movement of the feedscrew triggering a signal. This is much more precise; the switch operating position may fluctuate by many thousandths of an inch so the home position would also would fluctuate the same if it depended on linear motion, however when the home position depends on angular motion of the screw even if the actuation fluctuates by a degree or two this is only a fraction of a thousandth of an inch of linear motion depending on the pitch of the screw.

With a stepper driven system an encoder is not present but the homing sequence described above can be replicated using two micro switches. One switch is actuated by a cam mounted on the screw the other is actuated by linear motion. Homing is done by having the axis move toward the linear operated switch until it opens. As soon as this happens the direction is reversed until the linear switch closes then the controller (computer) looks for the cam operated switch and when this actuates that is the home position.

A search on the topic of Homing should find a number of threads and somewhere in them are links to an off the shelf solution that does just this sequence.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

Geof I think you might have missed the "my home built Router table" bit of Bruce's question

Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Greolt View Post
    Geof I think you might have missed the "my home built Router table" bit of Bruce's question

Greg
    No.

It would not be at all difficult to incorporate the two switch homing; one linear one angular into a homebuilt router. Just because something is homebuilt does not mean it cannot be accurate/precise.

Quote Originally Posted by Geof View Post
    Using a switch; mechanical microswitch, optical switch, proximity detector, magnetic reed switch, whatever, is okay for a limit switch because you are not worried about good precision. Using any of these for homing and relying on the accuracy of the switch actuation for the home position is probably not okay because no matter how good the switch they do not operate with an accuracy of 0.001" or less which is really what you need for homing.

Dear Geof,

I've used a miniature button microswitch as a home switch in a gadget for accurately locating a moveable probe. The probe was fixed to a linear stepper motor that moved 0.033 mm per step ( 0.0013").. Even though the data sheet for the switch stated a switching differential of 0.1 mm, the home switch tripped consistently within one step. I was very surprised.

Best wishes,

Martin

Martin; Yes it is impressive sometimes how good the switches can be but depending on how fancy your machine is +/-0.0013" may not be acceptable for homing.

Quote Originally Posted by Geof View Post
    Martin; Yes it is impressive sometimes how good the switches can be but depending on how fancy your machine is +/-0.0013" may not be acceptable for homing.
    Dear Geof,

I take the point. In my case, by the way, dust and swarf were not an issue. The stepper driver chip I was using didn't have a half step function, so I couldn't check the performance of the switch to any greater resolution. Still, for a £1.30 (USD 2.50) button microswitch, I has pretty happy.

Best wishes

Martin

Dear Geof,

I re-read your post. It is a very smart solution.
    If you have a lead-screw mounted cam and it engages a microswitch acting radially as an " ultimate home" after the cruder linear one does, you can make the accuracy as great as you want by simply increasing the radius of the cam that activates the "ultimate" home switch. The only downside is that the "ultimate" microswitch gets pushed for each revolution of the leadscrew when the machine is operating. This might be a problem as regards lifespan.

It is a fabulous idea. Thank-you.

Best wishes,

Martin

Quote Originally Posted by martinw View Post
    ... The only downside is that the "ultimate" microswitch gets pushed for each revolution of the leadscrew when the machine is operating. This might be a problem as regards lifespan.

It is a fabulous idea. Thank-you.

Best wishes,

Martin
    That is a good point. Have a look at Post #6 in this thread for a possible solution.

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11623

I got some sample Hall effect (magnetic) sensors and am planning
    on trying them soon. They are completely dustproof. I'll try actuating
    them with magnets from old hard disks to start with. Will have to find
    a way of adjusting the distance between the sensors and/or magnets
    to set home/zero/limit, etc.

Will keep the group posted,
    Emory

Quite interested in solutions too.

I just wired up home and limit switches tonight myself. I had a bunch of reed switches left over from a previous project, and thought I'd give them a go. I tested one axis for repeatability in homing, and it was quite consistent in getting within 0.06mm. Better than I had expected and good enough for the moment.

Very easy to install to with thin adhesive... not easy to control/adjust the trip point. The major problem however, is when the spindle enables the magnetic field generated causes the Z-axis to trip briefly.

Hall effect would probably be capable of obtaining better accuracy than the mechanical reed switch. I'm not sure the extent you would need to go to for achieving consistency though. Their accuracy is typically dependant on temperature and supply voltage. Quite interested to see how you go with them, as I'm not particularly happy with my current solution.