584,865 active members*
4,986 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Material Technology > Glass, Plastic and Stone > CNC Eating Top edge of countertops

Exclamation CNC Eating Top edge of countertops

Hi there. We've been giving our CNC machine a good run for a while now and have noticed recently that when we use the Edge Profile tools to polish the external edge of countertops i.e: a full length Island benchtop with 4 polished edges. More often then not the tools seem to be Riding up onto the top edge which results in us having to then cut the edge off and polish it by hand. I've tried Gauging the stone thickness, recalibrating all the tools. Checking to see if we have good suction in our pads and also gauged the height of all the pads. The only thing I can think of is that the stone may get slightly warped during storage before its placed on to the CNC machine. I was wondering if anyone else has had this issue and if it could be from the warped stone. If so has anyone been able to find a work around for this? (Appropriate storage would be the obvios answer I know however we have had stone go straight from the Bridge-saw to the CNC with the same results happening).

Thanks in advanced! hopefully someone out there has an answer as this ones really doing my head in.

Cheers!,
    Jess

Re: CNC Eating Top edge of countertops

Check the bearing on the Z axis, look for backlash as well. Hard work like granite is putting a great deal of pressure on the Z axis as the cutter either pulls up or down depending on the tool. Just a thought