585,556 active members*
3,560 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tree > Tree 310 Spindle Won't Turn--Is there a Spindle Brake or Lock?

Tree 310 Spindle Won't Turn--Is there a Spindle Brake or Lock?

I bought a Tree Journeyman 310 over 3 years ago, and finally got a Rotary Phase Converter (RPC) hooked up to it and fired it up. I was able to get the machine referenced, and the jog function works in all axes... however, when I try to start the spindle manually it turns a slight amount, then acts like it's blocked and there's a sound like a bound up motor having power applied to it...It also resets the console and i have to reference all the axis again.

Is there a spindle lock or spindle brake on this machine? I don't have a manual for it, and the J325 manual I have isn't very specific, besides the differences in the machine.

If anyone can help with how to start the spindle, either manually or through software, I'd appreciate it greatly.

AND, if anyone has a manual for this machine, I would gladly pay for your time to scan it and email it to me.

Regards,

Utah Smitty
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20220423_102649352.jpg   IMG_20220422_195949396.jpg  

Re: Tree 310 Spindle Won't Turn--Is there a Spindle Brake or Lock?

Quote Originally Posted by UtahSmitty View Post
    I bought a Tree Journeyman 310 over 3 years ago, and finally got a Rotary Phase Converter (RPC) hooked up to it and fired it up. I was able to get the machine referenced, and the jog function works in all axes... however, when I try to start the spindle manually it turns a slight amount, then acts like it's blocked and there's a sound like a bound up motor having power applied to it...It also resets the console and i have to reference all the axis again.

Is there a spindle lock or spindle brake on this machine? I don't have a manual for it, and the J325 manual I have isn't very specific, besides the differences in the machine.

If anyone can help with how to start the spindle, either manually or through software, I'd appreciate it greatly.

AND, if anyone has a manual for this machine, I would gladly pay for your time to scan it and email it to me.

Regards,

Utah Smitty
    Not sure why you needed a RPC as a VFD drive would of run your machine on 240v single Phase.

Does the spindle turn free by hand ?? if so I would check the wiring or a Fuse as it sounds like it could be missing a phase

Things that can cause this, Check that the High / Low Gear selector leaver is in the High Gear and engaged, ( you may not have this on your machine) the spindle will be free to turn

Check the brake, spindle will be free to turn
    Mactec54

Thanks for your reply.

I tried to figure out how to run it on a VFD, and even posted pictures, but was told the wiring was too complicated, so I bit the bullet and bought a RPC.

The spindle tries to turn when I put the selection knob in Forward and push the start button--it moves a slight amount, then makes a loud noise like when an electric motor is switched on and has too much load to turn. It seems to be a lock, or brake of some kind, but i don't have a manual for it, so I don't know what to look for.

Regards,

Smitty

Thanks for your reply.

I tried to figure out how to run it on a VFD, and even posted pictures, but was told the wiring was too complicated, so I bit the bullet and bought a RPC.

The spindle tries to turn when I put the selection knob in Forward and push the start button--it moves a slight amount, then makes a loud noise like when an electric motor is switched on and has too much load to turn. It seems to be a lock, or brake of some kind, but i don't have a manual for it, so I don't know what to look for.

Regards,

Smitty
    Who ever said you could not use a VFD Drive and 240v Single Phase Power, to run your machine did not know much, as there are hundreds of Knee Mills running the spindle with a VFD Drive, yours is no different.

You did not answer all the questions can you turn the spindle by hand and is it free to turn
    Mactec54

Mactec

The spindle doesn't turn. It has the Erickson QA spindle, and the collar turns.

I wasn't told I couldn't use a VFD, I just couldn't figure out how, and the people that replied to my post said they couldn't figure it out either. Here's some pictures of the wiring.

...I think you can check the spindle bearings by using the High/Low gear shifter to disengage(midpoint) the vari-belt drive.

Good luck on the new adventure.

PS- you dont have a VFD.

Mactec

The QC nut (collar) is attached to the end of the spindle. I think you are confusing the terms ''quill'' and ''spindle''. The spindle is inside of the quill, the spindle turns, the quill does not.

Turning the nut by hand counterclockwise until it's tight should start turning the spindle, and through the drive system, the motor. If everything is free, you should be able to turn the motor with the QC nut. If you are not able to turn the motor by hand, then maybe you have a stuck brake or something else mechanically screwed up.

But first, I would disconnect power, pull the main fuses and check them with a meter. You could have a lost phase due to a blown fuse.
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Mactec

I wasn't told I couldn't use a VFD, I just couldn't figure out how, and the people that replied to my post said they couldn't figure it out either. Here's some pictures of the wiring.
    Yes, I could see that you had a Erickson QA Spindle, if the spindle won't turn then you have to start there, don't try it with the Power connected until you have the Spindle free to turn

Check the Brake lever is free as this can be in the locked position, your Photo (1) is showing the motor contactors Forward and Reverse, these would not be used when you use a VFD Drive it is quite a simple setup to change it for VFD Drive use. you have the RPC so just need to move forward with getting the spindle free.

Do some closeup photos of the front and sides of the Head, the Low and High Gear change is not in the normal place, some photos will show what you have.

I see a lever on the front that most likely is the H/L lever, Moving this lever R/L while turning the spindle you will be able to change from High to low, the grinding noise you hear may just be that the High / Low Gear is not engaged in the right position, so move the lever until it locks into position while moving the spindle as well.
    Mactec54

Do you have a tool inserted? I went through a situation that caused me to remove what seemed to be a binding spindle and when all was said and done there was no problem...when I had a tool installed

Thanks for everyone's input...

So, I solved part of the mystery. When the speed range lever is in the "LOW" setting, the spindle is locked up. When It's in the HIGH setting (lever at 9 o'clock) or in Neutral (lever at approx 7 o'clock position), it turns. I tried to turn on the spindle with the lever in HIGH and it turned about half a turn then faulted out. In NEUTRAL it didn't turn, but it still faulted out.

So, I think I need to verify that the motor is getting enough volts and all legs of 3 phase power-- if it is, then I suspect I have a defective motor.

I've attached a picture of the mill head. (Sorry it's not oriented correctly--how do you change that?) Can anyone identify what the lever on the left side by the switch does, and, if it's a brake or spindle lock, which position it needs to be in to allow the spindle to turn. I can pull the lever up slightly, but nothing moves that I can see.

Thanks again,

Smitty

Quote Originally Posted by lavrgs View Post
    Do you have a tool inserted? I went through a situation that caused me to remove what seemed to be a binding spindle and when all was said and done there was no problem...when I had a tool installed
    A tool inserted would not make any difference, just may give you something more to hang on too, to turn the spindle by hand, it should be able to turn free by hand, if not there is is a problem with the variable speed part of the drive.
    Mactec54

The spindle tries to turn when I put the selection knob in Forward and push the start button--it moves a slight amount Smitty
    Remove the motor Fan cover and and see if the motor is free to turn.
    Mactec54

Thanks for everyone's input...

So, I think I need to verify that the motor is getting enough volts and all legs of 3 phase power-- if it is, then I suspect I have a defective motor.

I've attached a picture of the mill head. (Sorry it's not oriented correctly--how do you change that?) Can anyone identify what the lever on the left side by the switch does, and, if it's a brake or spindle lock, which position it needs to be in to allow the spindle to turn. I can pull the lever up slightly, but nothing moves that I can see.

Thanks again,

Smitty
    3 Phase power:
    ...mactec can go into more detail about your RPC setup but, an easy quick way to test your Incoming Voltage is with VOM
    https://www.google.com/search?client...+phase+voltage

Photo orientation:]
    ...your Cam has an Auto orient setting most likely you can try turning it OFF

Lever on left is a manually operated Brake. moving it CW or CCW should apply braking and should spring back automatically when released. Just in case you didnt know that is a Bridgeport Series II Vari-Belt drive head.

DJ

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    Remove the motor Fan cover and and see if the motor is free to turn.
    I'm pretty sure when the gear range lever is in HIGH and I turn the spindle, it's turning the motor... I can feel the drag of the V belt on it. It also turns when the selector is in NEUTRAL, but i don't feel the drag or resistance to turning.

I'm pretty sure when the gear range lever is in HIGH and I turn the spindle, it's turning the motor... I can feel the drag of the V belt on it. It also turns when the selector is in NEUTRAL, but i don't feel the drag or resistance to turning.
    How many Hp is the RPC rated for, it needs to be at least double the Machine Hp to run the motor

What Faulted out was this the RPC, what is the Amp rating of the RPC and what Supply Amperage do you have it connected too???
    Mactec54

To examine the spindle bearings, I believe you may use the High/Low gear shifter to disengage(midpoint) the vari-belt drive...

five nights at freddy's