585,712 active members*
3,935 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > CNC Machine Related Electronics > Wiring Drivers & Spindle to Breakout Board for Mach3 conversion
Page 3 of 8 12345
    Quote Originally Posted by viroy View Post
    not trying to be mean, but of course I would infer this means to connect the 10v to the AI
    The 0-10v output IS the AVI/ACM.
    It's just the term used when describing the analog voltage OUTPUT. I suggest you do some research before doing damage.
    Your 24v to the BOARD has basically replaced the 10v POWER OUT pin on the vfd.

You can test the analog AVI (0-10v) and ACM (GND) using a cheap voltmeter or a 12v bulb + =AVI, - =ACM.

The reason I suggest a relay is because of the vfd shared common. It will be sharing 0-10v and 24v GND's which isn't normally recommended.

Newer vfd have separate commons and 24v internal control circuits. These you can directly connect with no problem. Those are what you are likely seeing any diagrams for.

I tried bridging the FWD to CM, it turns on the cooling fan inside the VFD, but no spin.
    You can cause a surge or damage on power up doing it this way. These are sensitive.
    Controls want to be off or 'open' at power on.
    You need it set to use on board control (whatever the term is for it).

Even a cheap manual switch FWD/CM will do for testing, or something you can plug/unplug AFTER powering everything else on. Peramiter as 'external control'.

Re: Wiring Drivers & Spindle to Breakout Board for Mach3 conversion

not trying to be mean, but of course I would infer this means to connect the 10v to the AI
    No, it does not, the (2) connections are completely different.

The 10vdc is a 10vdc output and is not used for your connection

AVI from the Breakout Board is a PWM to Analog 0-10V which is variable output

The 10v dc output is a straight 10v dc and can't be used
    Mactec54

Quote Originally Posted by dazp1976 View Post
    IGNORE that 10v connection, act as if it doesn't exist.
    The 10v is for sending OUTPUT power to a manual potentiometer for changing speeds. Learning the manual principle first helps with wiring analog from Mach. The explanation:
    So how it works is:
    The 10v goes into the pot+ve,
    The pot-ve goes to the CM,
    The pot wiper goes to AI, that regulates the 10v to give you speed control.
    You will see the 3 wire pot in the wiring diagram of vfd. Learning this manual principle helps with figuring analog Mach wiring.

HOWEVER!! you are going to control via Mach so:

Now the 24v on the control board BECOMES the pot power!.
    The AVI on board BECOMES the wiper.
    The ACM bocomes the GND.
    You still have not learned very much, this is not correct, what you are saying about how the 10v is used, you are creating more confusion than any good, he does not need to know anything about the setting up for a remote Pot
    Mactec54

so ignore what mactec54 said, neither 10v pin is connected to anything....is there any way to test the 0-10v output?
    I'm not getting any difference no matter what I do.
    I'm not sure why you would say ignore what I posted, as this is what I have told you for several posts DO NOT TO USE THE 10V CONNECTIONS FOR ANYTHING

I also said how you can test the 0-10v variable speed control, try reading the posts

Dapz replies are more confusing than they are of any good, what he is posting is not related to what you need to be doing, he is only new to this and has very little experience
    Mactec54

You can cause a surge or damage on power up doing it this way. These are sensitive.
    Controls want to be off or 'open' at power on.
    You need it set to use on board control (whatever the term is for it).

Even a cheap manual switch FWD/CM will do for testing, or something you can plug/unplug AFTER powering everything else on. Peramiter as 'external control'.
    If you are going to post about these connections, please get it right as other people read things like this and could end up with their VFD Drive connections damaged if they did what you have posted
    Mactec54

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    I'm not sure why you would say ignore what I posted, as this is what I have told you for several posts DO NOT TO USE THE 10V CONNECTIONS FOR ANYTHING

I also said how you can test the 0-10v variable speed control, try reading the posts

Dapz replies are more confusing than they are of any good, what he is posting is not related to what you need to be doing, he is only new to this and has very little experience
    If you learn how the manual setup works you KNOW the wiper is the 0-10v+ and the GND is the 0-10V- common.
    The Boards own psu then becomes the 10v power and so the vfd 10v out pin is not used.
    Once you know this you can wire ANY drives analog input.

SIMPLE AS THAT!!!.

Just sort out his perameters for him.

If you are going to post about these connections, please get it right as other people read things like this and could end up with their VFD Drive connections damaged if they did what you have posted
    Excuse me.
    In the diagrams the FWD/CM is basically a jumper wire with a switch inbetween to switch it I or 0.
    NPN connection in the direction of FWD sinking to CM from the drives inner circuits.

If you're saying otherwise, why are the diagrams almost ALL like this?.

My servos are exactly the same setup on the inputs. And so is the HY.

Excuse me.
    In the diagrams the FWD/CM is basically a jumper wire with a switch inbetween to switch it I or 0.
    NPN connection in the direction of FWD sinking to CM from the drives inner circuits.

If you're saying otherwise, why are the diagrams almost ALL like this?.

My servos are exactly the same setup on the inputs. And so is the HY.

We don't care how your system works, not all are the same.

Excuse me, some could excuse you, but when you post information, it needs to be correct, it does not matter how other systems are connected, do you know this VFD Drive, there are no specs to say that it is as you say, hence it can't be treated as such, he connected (1) output to it and it made the KeyPad mad, so it is not as you say, as this should of worked if it was.

This is the problem when helping someone, you have to treat every setup as an individual, as there are many different things at play

This connection can never be used with a Jumper Wire it is very unsafe to do it like this, and you should know better if you are Posting about it, you also said Plugging and Unplugging could be used, this is a big NO (wedge)

The remote Pot has nothing to do with his set up, but you have put this in there to add more confusion the 10v from the VFD Drive is used for many things it is not there just for the remote Pot
    Mactec54

If you learn how the manual setup works you KNOW the wiper is the 0-10v+ and the GND is the 0-10V- common.
    The Boards own psu then becomes the 10v power and so the vfd 10v out pin is not used.
    Once you know this you can wire ANY drives analog input.

SIMPLE AS THAT!!!.

Just sort out his perameters for him.
    The Pot and Wiper has nothing to do with his setup so stop posting about this as all you are doing is causing confusion again the Remote Pot has nothing to do with his setup.
    Mactec54

The Pot and Wiper has nothing to do with his setup so stop posting about this as all you are doing is causing confusion again the Remote Pot has nothing to do with his setup.
    How can you say that?. He wants to use the analog so it is relevant.
    AVI > AI
    ACM > CM
    Done. That's analog.

As for the switching. Start at page 20. Using external control (paramiter). The default is '2 line mode 1'
    FWD > CM 'open/close' (stopped/running)
    X1 > CM' 'open/close' (FWD/REV)

It's a bloody 'loop circuit' with switches to open or close the loop. It even says 'control loop' in the book!.

I'd prefer setting to 'two-line mode 2' personally.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...vXAuEmVnQDrTnw

It prob threw a wobble because it needs setting to 'external terminal control' via peramiter. Then default wiring on page 21 (two-line mode 1) looks as this:
    FWD in the book shows:
    FWD > CM 'closed' and X1 > CM 'open'.
    REV in the book shows:
    FWD > CM 'open' and X1 > CM 'closed'.
    Ergo:
    Linking FWD > CM via on/off (relay) should be FWD on/off because X1 has been left open.

Just the paramiters on pages 16 onwards need settibg up.

My VFD is the Sunfar E300-2S0022L

I do get the manual pot concept and can try that later today with a 10k pot I have laying around.
    I would like to test the BOB though and make sure I'm getting the adjustable output with different spindle RPM settings in Mach3... just not sure what pins to run the voltmeter across.
    Sounds like AVI and ACM? or is it AVI and 10v?

My spindle does have a 10v and 24v output pin next to the FWD, AI & CM pins

How can you say that?. He wants to use the analog so it is relevant.
    AVI > AI
    ACM > CM
    Done.

As for the switching. Start at page 20. Using external control (paramiter). The default is '2 line mode 1'
    FWD > CM 'open/close' (stopped/running)
    X1 > CM' 'open/close' (FWD/REV)

It's a bloody 'loop circuit' with switches to open or close the loop. It even says 'control loop'.

I'd prefer '2 line mode 2' personally.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...vXAuEmVnQDrTnw
    How can I say that it's simple, this circuit has nothing to do with the Pot Wiper that you are so fixated with. (AI) is just an input to the VFD Drive

So now your post is mostly correct, and what you should have posted to start with, instead of all the nonrelevant Bs, it easy to copy and get it right once someone has corrected you

It is not a loop, a switch completes the circuit, this can be switched with a Digital Signal or with a Relay, just remember you are looking at a Chinese translation, so you have to understand what loop really means before you become obsessed with that word
    Mactec54

The manual I linked does list that model number but ending B.
    The letter is just to do with braking and RS485 options.
    Wiring should be the same afaic.
    Compare my manual linked against yours from pages 16 through to 23 and see if they match for me.

I do get the manual pot concept and can try that later today with a 10k pot I have laying around.
    I would like to test the BOB though and make sure I'm getting the adjustable output with different spindle RPM settings in Mach3... just not sure what pins to run the voltmeter across.
    Sounds like AVI and ACM? or is it AVI and 10v?

My spindle does have a 10v and 24v output pin next to the FWD, AI & CM pins
    Again, 10v is not in the picture why do you keep going there 10v dc output has nothing to do with what you are needing

Again, AVI and ACM on you Breakout Board is all you should be connected to to check and get working before you connect to the VFD Drive for your speed control
    Mactec54

No, it does not mean to connect 10vdc to AI, I already explained this in another Post, 10v dc is not the same as 0-10v PWM to Analog which is what is used for the speed control
    Mactec54

someone has corrected you

Er no they did not. He sounded new to drives so I went back to beginning explanations of 'how' it works. Not just 'wire it as xxx' and done with. Just trying to explain why the 10v isn't used in this instance.
    Okay. So I went too far back to basics!!!!. Hit me on the head then.
    I'll call it a 'switch circuit' from now on then not a 'loop circuit'.

Anyway. Do you think the default ''two-line mode 1' or the 'two-line mode 2' setup is easier for basic FWD operation that only requires 1 switch (relay)?.
    (I don't like having analog and 24v commons sharing a single CM, Hence the relay preference and not direct connect to Bob output). You may think different though.
    Can you do his peramiter list for that plz.

(and then hope FWD on his drive spins the correct direction)

just to be clear.... the BOB has ACM, AVI and a 10v pin
    The VFD has 24v, 10v, AI, FWD and CM pins
    so there are two 10v pins, one on each..... now are we absolutely positive I am not to use EITHER of those two 10v pins?

From what I'm reading here.....
    The AI on the VFD connects to the AVI on the BOB
    The CM on the VFD connects to the ACM on the BOB
    The FWD on the VFD can be either bridged to the CM, or connected to OUT1 on the BOB
    is this right?

And to test the BOB.
    Put meter on dc volts between AVI and ACM, then Mach3 should control the output depending on spindle rpm set in mach3
    also correct?

I'm going to test this right now... be back in few

No, it does not mean the same, I already explained this in another Post, 10v dc is not the same as 0-10v PWM to Analog which is what is used for the speed control
    This is why I've tried to explain why he does not need it in his setup. (by using a pot example to demo that) and that his frikkin board is now the frikkin power supply for the analog connection!!!!.

Board is the analog power supply via its 24v.
    AVI (board) > AI (vfd), is the 0-10v +ve
    ACM (board) > CM (vfd), is the 0-10v -ve (common GND)
    10v (both) > In the frikkin bin! As in nothing.

This is why I've tried to explain why he does not need it in his setup. (by using a pot example to demo that) and that his frikkin board is now the frikkin power supply for the analog connection!!!!.

Board is the analog power supply via its 24v.
    AVI (board) > AI (vfd), is the 0-10v +ve
    ACM (board) > CM (vfd), is the 0-10v -ve (common GND)
    10v (both) > In the frikkin bin! As in nothing.
    No, what you were explaining was only confusing everything even more, which was far from reality

Check this line that you just posted, and tell me what is wrong with it, ACM (board) > CM (vfd), is the 0-10v -ve (common GND)
    Mactec54

Page 3 of 8 12345