585,760 active members*
3,788 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Servo Motors / Drives > Need Help! Syncing 2 AASD China Drives identical Speed and Position for 2 Shafts

Need Help! Syncing 2 AASD China Drives identical Speed and Position for 2 Shafts

Hi,
    I'm working on a vibration Table for my Epoxy Concrete Production. I want to turn 2 Shafts with Counter weights in the same Speed and Position (one CW and one CCV) to get Vibration. Is it possible to do that with 2 AASD China AC Servo Drives (I have some in the shelf)? If anybody has done it, I would appreciate your advice! Since the Motors are not mechanically connected, would it be possible to use only one Encoder for both Drives?
    Many Thanks in Advance
    Karl

Re: Need Help! Syncing 2 AASD China Drives identical Speed and Position for 2 Shafts

Quote Originally Posted by Don_Karlos View Post
    Hi,
    I'm working on a vibration Table for my Epoxy Concrete Production. I want to turn 2 Shafts with Counter weights in the same Speed and Position (one CW and one CCV) to get Vibration. Is it possible to do that with 2 AASD China AC Servo Drives (I have some in the shelf)? If anybody has done it, I would appreciate your advice! Since the Motors are not mechanically connected, would it be possible to use only one Encoder for both Drives?
    Many Thanks in Advance
    Karl
    No you could not use (1) Encoder for (2) drives why not just control them with a Pot 0-10v you can change each to the same speed may be able to use the same control Pot for the (2) drives
    Mactec54

Re: Need Help! Syncing 2 AASD China Drives identical Speed and Position for 2 Shafts

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    No you could not use (1) Encoder for (2) drives why not just control them with a Pot 0-10v you can change each to the same speed may be able to use the same control Pot for the (2) drives
    Hi,
    thanks for your quick reply. Since a Vibration Table needs absolute sync of the counter weights (otherwise you would get an oscillating vibration amplitude from 0 to max and to 0 depending on the rpm difference) I think that some kind of "electronic shaft" is needed. Why can't the second servo just be synced by using the Encoder Signal from the " Master" Motor? How should the second Motor know, that it is not it's own Encoder signal?
    BG
    Karl

Hi,
    thanks for your quick reply. Since a Vibration Table needs absolute sync of the counter weights (otherwise you would get an oscillating vibration amplitude from 0 to max and to 0 depending on the rpm difference) I think that some kind of "electronic shaft" is needed. Why can't the second servo just be synced by using the Encoder Signal from the " Master" Motor? How should the second Motor know, that it is not it's own Encoder signal?
    BG
    Karl
    There are many ways the 2 motors could be synced, depending on how you want to control it, it could be as simple as using Mach3 CNC software and have a master and slave axis, or by using a PLC you don't need to do anything with the encoder to have them in sync, just a simple Step/Dir control you can sync the 2 Drives

Not sure why you would be needed 2 motors to start with, you could use a belt drive
    Mactec54

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    There are many ways the 2 motors could be synced, depending on how you want to control it, it could be as simple as using Mach3 CNC software and have a master and slave axis, or by using a PLC you don't need to do anything with the encoder to have them in sync, just a simple Step/Dir control you can sync the 2 Drives

Not sure why you would be needed 2 motors to start with, you could use a belt drive
    This Vibrating Table is 9ft x 15ft! I'm vibrating moulds up to 15to. And currently I have a setup with one Motor controlled by a VFD. The Motor is connected to a gearbox which is connected via two toothed belts to the shafts. This setup is working, but very noisy and since the is a lot of dust involved in Epoxy Concrete Production the Belts are wearing very fast.
    I thought about the step/dir approach. But I need for my Production Environment a very simple Control Panel. Best would be just one Potentiometer.
    Many Thanks again for giving me your advice!
    Karl

This Vibrating Table is 9ft x 15ft! I'm vibrating moulds up to 15to. And currently I have a setup with one Motor controlled by a VFD. The Motor is connected to a gearbox which is connected via two toothed belts to the shafts. This setup is working, but very noisy and since the is a lot of dust involved in Epoxy Concrete Production the Belts are wearing very fast.
    I thought about the step/dir approach. But I need for my Production Environment a very simple Control Panel. Best would be just one Potentiometer.
    Many Thanks again for giving me your advice!
    Karl
    The servo motors are not going to like the vibration even with a flexible coupling, the system you are using is always going to be noisy, I used to build finishing machines that used the same kind of shaft mounting with the counter weights like what you are using, and use couplings similar to this for direct connect to the motor
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Coupling.PNG  
    Mactec54