Hello all,
I am new around here and could really use some help. I would really like to build a CNC for my own personal use. Mainly for hard plastics and soft metals for any given project that I may be doing at some time.
I don't have a ton of CNC experience, but I have enough to start some trouble. I used to run a Makino F5 using NX software to write programs for Hard Milling and also a basic Haas TM-1 with low grade BobCad-Cam software for roughing and doing "not-so-precision" work on mold frames and cavities. I currently am running Charmilles RF55 and a Charmilles RF50 sinker EDM machines and don't get many opportunities to run mills anymore. I have had minimal training with all of these machines and have learned most of what I know through reading manuals and researching the Internet.

......ON TO THE POINT.....

I have acquired a 3-axis Micro-Vu from my previous employer. It has ball screws, linear rails, scales, and a VERY rigid frame with a 320mm x 320mm table with about 150mm height clearance. I would love to fit this with some stepper motors and required components to make this a small CNC mill.
This is where you all come in... I have looked around and cannot find a definitive answer on what exactly it would take to get this frame up and running. Such as motors, controllers, power supply and what not. I would like to find a user friendly 3-D software as well to design and write tool paths with.
So, out of curiosity, where would you guys begin with this?
I would like this to be a quality build, so I don't mind spending some money on good products, however I don't want to break the bank. I would just like to hear your feedback and thoughts on this idea.

All comments, questions and criticism are Very much appreciated.
Thanks!