585,722 active members*
4,307 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Machine Controllers Software and Solutions > Fanuc > Tool life management and Wear Offset reset

Tool life management and Wear Offset reset

Good morning!

I want to add functionality to my Fuji CSD-300 machines. They're running a Fanuc 0i-Td controller.

I want to make it so when the tool life counter is reset to zero, the wear offset for that tool is also automatically reset to zero.

My problem is that we can use the NC or the PMC for tool life management. We're using the PMC. We always have, and it works fine.

However, I have no idea how to find the tool life counter variables in the machine. I have no reference to it anywhere.

Does anyone know how to do this?

Thanks!

Re: Tool life management and Wear Offset reset

This is doable. However it's going to take a ladder modification to get it working. I would use the Fanuc Window Read in the PMC and set the #1000 macro variable.

Ladder mods aren't a bad thing, I just don't know really where to start, because I don't know where the current tool life counters are stored. We're using the PMC to control tool life.

There's no system variable for the tool life, is there?

There are a few ways this can be handled with various levels of difficulty and power gained.

A very basic example could be;
    Look at the ladder for bit F64.2 which indicates that the tool life for the "currently used tool" has expired. Also look for F64.1 which indicates A new tool is selected. See if per chance they turn on a macro DO (g54 - G55 which equates to #1000 - #1015) that you can read in the Part Program. If these are available you could generate a sub to set the active wear offset to 0 based on criteria you decide.

The best resource for tool life operation at this level may be "Connection Function" manual for the control.

I took a look at the ladder, and there is a chuck that's using bit F64.1. My problem is precisely that F64.1 isn't coming on even when the tool life is set to zero. The problem, I think, is that we're using the PMC for tool life control, not the NC. The OEM has, in other machines, a way to do this using either the NC or PMC, but not in this one type we have.

I'm curious to know about how the F64.1 works - so I'll read up on the Connection Functions. Thanks!