585,722 active members*
4,404 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Milltronics > Vm17 z axis limit switch

Vm17 z axis limit switch

Hello everyone
    I finally got my vm 17 wired up and put power to it. I think the z axis is on the limit switch? When I try to do anything the machine says one of the limit switches is on? I can move the x and y axis a little bit but I think the z axis may have settled in transit? How would I go about getting it to move the z axis up? Can it be done manually? Thanks in advance for any help you may have.

Re: Vm17 z axis limit switch

It's been a while since I ran the Milltronics software (converted mine to Centroid), but I think you push and hold the reset button and then you can hand wheel or jog away from the limit switches.

Thanks for the reply brian. I tried that yesterday and nothing happens at all. I wonder if my reset button could be bad? I wish there was a way I could raise it manually but I don’t see anyway to do that. Of course this is all new to me so it could obvious and I’m just not looking in the right spot lol. I appreciate your reply though.

Is the limit switch a micro-switch or a proximity switch with three wires? You could loosen the limit switch if you have access and get the machine to move and then put the limit back. Limit switch could be bad but need photo and more info to provide guidance

Limit switches are microswitches housed inside a casting with plungers. Better than loosening the limit switch, just unbolt the dog that trips it. Just be careful you go the right way, the stop is there to keep you from overtravelling and breaking something if you hit the end of the road, so to speak.

Thanks for the help fella’s. I didn’t get a chance to look at it today. I think there limit switches? At least the upper one is I’m pretty sure? I haven’t been able to locate the lower one yet. Got to late last night. Hopefully tomorrow I can get a chance to look at it and see. The upper one looks like a limit switch with a small roller on the end of activating lever. I assume it’s inside the big column? Will look tomorrow and try and get some pictures for you. Thanks again for the help.

Some machines do not have a lower limit switch, due to the nature of the Z axis coming down to cut into the work piece and how the sizes change constantly. Not sure on your machine. If you do manage to free up the limit on Z make sure you only attempt to move either X or Y initially. As Brian said you must be extremely careful on the Z axis you could damage the machine if you drive it past the limit switch. If the X and Y move when you free up the Z limit then carefully move the Z axis DOWN a couple of inches and then reenable the Z limit switch.

Okay thanks. I will try and look tonight when I get home. The machine worked when I bought it but I had him lower the z axis for shipping and being able to get it in the garage. He did lower it under power and put a chunk of 4x4 under it but when the machine arrived the 4x4 was just laying in the cabinet. Could the z axis have settled down on the limit switch during transport? Or maybe one of the other switches are stuck? The machine was really gummy from years of coolant mist. So I will check it out and let you know what I find. I’m sure it’s stuck in estop mode. How to get it out is the question now lol. Thanks again for your help.

Okay thanks. I will try and look tonight when I get home. The machine worked when I bought it but I had him lower the z axis for shipping and being able to get it in the garage. He did lower it under power and put a chunk of 4x4 under it but when the machine arrived the 4x4 was just laying in the cabinet. Could the z axis have settled down on the limit switch during transport? Or maybe one of the other switches are stuck? The machine was really gummy from years of coolant mist. So I will check it out and let you know what I find. I’m sure it’s stuck in estop mode. How to get it out is the question now lol. Thanks again for your help.

Hello.
    So I got a chance to look at the machine tonight and after messing around with the z axis limit switch I still couldn’t get it to do anything. I moved the y axis both ways and then I hit the reset button a million times lol and I heard it click. I just kept hitting the reset button and it clicked again and this time I was able to get it home. Hooray!! Lol. I really think it’s the reset button? I’m going to order one tomorrow and replace it and hopefully that’s my problem. Seems to be functioning fine now. Thanks to both of you for your help. I’m just starting out in this hobby but I hope to make chips one day lol. I really do appreciate your patience with me being new and all. Sometimes us newbie’s don’t always get treated the best but you were great. Thanks again.

Glad to hear that you got it to home... now the fun begins!

The vast majority of neebee’s start out the same you just learn as you go along. Glad u got it working

Quote Originally Posted by Sandwich14 View Post
    I’m going to order one
    ...order 6 just in case. Welcome to the machine. What part number mirco switches does have on it?
    https://www.digikey.com/?utm_adgroup...SAAEgI1f_D_BwE

Thanks for the link. I ordered one from milltronics but haven’t received it yet. The switch was sw00087 I think? I really need 2 but they were so expensive I only got one for now. $120 for one switch plus tax and shipping of course. This is just a hobby for me so it’s hard for me to justify 400 dollars for 2 switches right now but I was hoping I could find one cheaper through someone else so I will definitely check out digikey. Thanks again.