585,663 active members*
3,148 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 2 of 2 12

Re: connect bob to vfd

The relay on the bob has three connection pins. Have I connected to the correct pins?

Quote Originally Posted by PeterJK View Post
    The relay on the bob has three connection pins. Have I connected to the correct pins?
    If the spindle turns On / Off then you have it correct, as One is normally open and one is normally closed, when the spindle is not running the Relay will be N/0
    Mactec54

replaced wires with tightly twisted pair. Same behavior.
    Can you use the Keypad Up/down arrow keys to change the speed or the Pot

Did you change the wiring to the 0-10v analog output this would be to the 2 screws closest to the Relay and the +/- has to be correct.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 0-10v.PNG  
    Mactec54

If the spindle turns On / Off then you have it correct, as One is normally open and one is normally closed, when the spindle is not running the Relay will be N/0
    Mactec54

Cannot change speed w/keypad arrows or pot.
    The picture shows how it is connected to the vfd. Green wire goes to ACM, Blue wire goes to VI, black to dcm, red to FOR.

Any speed that I enter into the MDI window and then press spindle start, the vfd spins up and shows 208 hz. Same when I set the speed to 200 rpm, same w/18000rpm.

Any

When I make changes in the ports and pins page, once I hit ok, the relay 2light turns on for 1 second. Then when I hit the red reset button, the relay light comes back on and the spindle spins up.

Actually - every time that I hit the reset button, the spindle spins up.

ok- I unchecked active low in the outputs window for output 2 and the spindle stopped spinning up when I hit reset. Still cannot adjust speed though, and turning the potentiometer while the spindle is running does not do anything. The vfd always shows 208.

Any speed that I enter into the MDI window and then press spindle start, the vfd spins up and shows 208 hz. Same when I set the speed to 200 rpm, same w/18000rpm.
    You can never run or even command a speed lower than the set parameter 120Hz 7200RPM if the spindle run then you do not have the Parameters set correct in the VFD Drive

Disconnect the 0-10v and put the VFD Drive in manual Mode and get it running correct from the KeyPad and Pot control
    This will see if you have the VFD set correct then you can run using the Pot and the speed range from 7200RPM to 18,000RPM if it is not working in this range then the Parameters are not set correct
    PD001=0
    PD002=1
    PD070=1
    J1 for Pot control, which is the same as for remote control
    Mactec54

Thanks for the settings.

I moved the VFD jumper from the VR position left to the VI position
    I set PD001 to 1
    I set PD002 to 1
    all else was set as per your settings list

I am unfortunately unable to adjust the speed from Mach3. 0-10V output is working correctly (5v at 9000rpm, 10V at 18000rpm).
    The attached photos show my ports and pins settings. The photo of the speed setting shows the setting at 500, but the spindle is turning full speed, at the same time the inverter shows full 300hz.
    Also, the RPM in the spindle speed window, only shows 0, it does not show any rpm's.

What am I doing wrong?
    M3 M4 should not be on the same pin number. This can cause relay confusions.
    You should M3 on the relay and M4 on a false output to separate them.

You should set a minimum % speed on pwm spindle.
    Should help prevent overheating spindle by not letting it run below minimum recommended manufacturer rpm.

Quote Originally Posted by dazp1976 View Post
    M3 M4 should not be on the same pin number. This can cause relay confusions.
    You should M3 on the relay and M4 on a false output to separate them.

You should set a minimum % speed on pwm spindle.
    Should help prevent overheating spindle by not letting it run below minimum recommended manufacturer rpm.
    The VFD Drive Parameter setting control the spindle minimum, max speed the PWM to analog only output how the a voltage, is output which he already confirmed as being correct

There should not be an M4 used with these spindles so if it is not connected than it would not be doing anything
    Mactec54

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    The VFD Drive Parameter setting control the spindle minimum, max speed the PWM to analog only output how the a voltage, is output which he already confirmed as being correct

There should not be an M4 used with these spindles so if it is not connected than it would not be doing anything

Last time I had both m3m4 configured to the same relay output I had a 'twitchy' relay even when m4 was never used. Could've been a glitch in system, you know what Mach can be like sometimes.
    Had off/on flicker at m3 max speed reached and when spun down.

Asigning m4 a separate empty output seemed to solve it.
    Just anothet stupid thing to consider.

Thanks. Set to manual mode- everything worked as expected could change speed from 120hz to 300 hz. I reset everything back to remote operation and it looks like I now have full control in Mach3.

3 questions:

1. I am still getting a " Too fast for pulley, using Max" status message. Why is this?
    2. The RPM' s are showing some numbers when starting/stopping, but while the spindle is spinning, the rpm' s show zero. Any fix for this?
    3. "M3 M4 should not be on the same pin number." What are M3 M4?

Thanks again for all of the assistance.

Thanks. Set to manual mode- everything worked as expected could change speed from 120hz to 300 hz. I reset everything back to remote operation and it looks like I now have full control in Mach3.

3 questions:

1. I am still getting a " Too fast for pulley, using Max" status message. Why is this?
    2. The RPM' s are showing some numbers when starting/stopping, but while the spindle is spinning, the rpm' s show zero. Any fix for this?

M3/M4 are spindle directions, cw/ccw. They tell Mach which direction to spin it. For example: MIDI:m3s12000 will spin up ccw at 12k, m4s12000 Will go cw at 12k. You only want one direction.

If talking about 0 rpm in the Mach screen, that's most likely because there is no feedback/indexing signal from the vfd for Mach to read from (it's normal). You need an encoder or spindle sensor for that.

Quote Originally Posted by dazp1976 View Post
    M3/M4 are spindle directions, cw/ccw. They tell Mach which direction to spin it. For example: MIDI:m3s12000 will spin up ccw at 12k, m4s12000 Will go cw at 12k. You only want one direction.

If talking about 0 rpm in the Mach screen, that's most likely because there is no feedback/indexing signal from the vfd for Mach to read from (it's normal). You need an encoder or spindle sensor for that.
    Thanks for the explanation. In my case using the m3s command, the spindle spins clockwise.

3 questions:

Did you check the Kernel speed if this is too low you will get this message look in Ports / Pins Tab

M3 tells the Spindle to turn On M5 turns the Spindle Off M4 Reverses the Spindle direction you won't be using M4 with your Spindle so there is nothing to worry about
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Kernel speed.PNG  
    Mactec54

Page 2 of 2 12