585,917 active members*
3,344 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > MadCAM > Setting Material Size

Question Setting Material Size

How do you set the initial material size to be machined to the drawing size? I can create the final size drawing and get the green box, but do not understand how to set material size that the part will be machined from. Can anyone help?

Heres how I do it.

1. create model
    2. get the green box around it.
    3. use that box for material size or add to top and or xy to your preference
    4. use the rhino analyze tools (length, distance) to measure the green box
    5. now you know your stock size. (madcam already knows the stock size, it is just for the operators information

another example (task)

cut parts out of 4 x 8 sheet stock.
    1. create a 4 x 8 surface in Rhino
    2. orient it where you want it to be in relation to 0,0
    3. draw curves within the x, y boundery of this surface representing the parts to cut
    4. select the 4 x 8 surface when madcam asks and you have a virtual 4 x 8 for your material

Hope this helps

Unhappy

Thanks for the reply. If I understand, MadCam uses the green box as the material stock size. I'm new to Rhino and just learning. Still going thru the tutorials. I've always used AutoCad. In Rhino, how do I increase the size of the green box to represent my stock size. Let's take a simple example of a solid box where my stock is 2" x 3" x 1". I want the final part to be 2" x 3" x 0.75". If I draw the part to finished dem's, then the green box comes out that size, however I have 1" high stock which I want to mill to 0.75". How do I raise top of green box from the 0.75" to 1"?

On the madcam toolbar go to the second icon (regions) and select the box. It brings up the dialog screen in the screenshot. This is where you change the green box (material size). On the right side you should see the raise z stock , xy . Keep posting questions. That is how we all grow.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails madcamscreenshot.jpg  

To continue, that worked fine. Thanks for the help. I find the MadCam tutorials lacking detail and have had to hunt/peck to feel my way thru. My problem now is to get "Simulate" to run correctly. As a test I drew a box, raised the Z, loaded a cutter, selected a process, and created tool cut paths. All looked OK to that point. When I click on the "Simulate" button I get the "Cut simulation error. The stock model will reset.". When I hit OK, Rhino freezes and will not respond. Have to do a Ctrl-Alt-Del to get out of program. Any hints as to problem? Have tried re-downloading MadCam but does not solve problem. I'm probably doing something wrong, but have been unable to figure it out.

Could you attach your 3dm file. and post. It does sound like you are doing things correctly. Are you using Rhino 3 or 4 ? Just need to know so I know which one to load the file in.
    If I, we (forum users) or you can't figure it out Joakim certainly can.

Using Rhino4 and MadCam4. I've had trouble with Simulate from day 1. How do you attach a Rhino file format? I got an invalid file to the .3dm format. Send me your email address via PM and I'll send via regular email attachment if can't attach to CNCzone.

Quote Originally Posted by dgoddard View Post
    To continue, that worked fine. Thanks for the help. I find the MadCam tutorials lacking detail and have had to hunt/peck to feel my way thru. My problem now is to get "Simulate" to run correctly. As a test I drew a box, raised the Z, loaded a cutter, selected a process, and created tool cut paths. All looked OK to that point. When I click on the "Simulate" button I get the "Cut simulation error. The stock model will reset.". When I hit OK, Rhino freezes and will not respond. Have to do a Ctrl-Alt-Del to get out of program. Any hints as to problem? Have tried re-downloading MadCam but does not solve problem. I'm probably doing something wrong, but have been unable to figure it out.
    dgoddard,

Mike (turmite) here. I am a reseller of Madcam here in the US and would like to let you know that the tutorials and help files for Madcam are being re-written now. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Pm me for my email address and while we're at it I will also try to help with your problem. I had a death in the family this past week and haven't spent much time here.

Mike
    No greater love can a man have than this, that he give his life for a friend.

Quote Originally Posted by dgoddard View Post
    Using Rhino4 and MadCam4. I've had trouble with Simulate from day 1. How do you attach a Rhino file format? I got an invalid file to the .3dm format. Send me your email address via PM and I'll send via regular email attachment if can't attach to CNCzone.
    You have to zip the file to make it uploadable to the zone. If you don't have a zip manager google coffeecup software and they have a free one.

Mike
    No greater love can a man have than this, that he give his life for a friend.