584,837 active members*
5,353 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

RhinoCam Help

Hello All,

I was wondering since you toolpath off of regions, how do you toolpath a chamfer or a fillet?

Thanks
    Bill
    Thanks
    Bill

Hmmmmm,

49 looks and no reply's? Come on folks, someone can surly answer this.

Bill
    Thanks
    Bill

Hi - not exactly sure what you mean but I'll give it a go...

RC uses regions for 2.5D and the model and stock for 3D. Any good?

Well, When I chamfer my stuff, I use a chamfering endmill, and use a curve that is the basic outline of the shape I am making. I select the Engraving, On Condition, and set the height parameters in there.

For a fillet, you could do the same thing, if you have a tool of the appropriate shape. Once you discover the appropriate offset, (0.1875"? for a 1/4" shank router bit), you could offset your outline curve, and then engrave on condition to that. I would remove the follower bearing if it has one.

Without that tool, you would half to do a parallel or horizontal finishing routine, with a ball endmill, and it will take a while.

Rob

Hi stirling,

Yes ... I was wondering how to machine chamfer or radius on top of a part without having to machine the whole top surface, for instance like if I wanted to machine just the outer edge or just knock the sharp corner off or a leadin on a whole with out having to do the 3D cuts that go over the whole thing.

Thanks
    Bill
    Thanks
    Bill

Use a chamfer/radius cutter and a 2.5d profiling operation. Set the tool size as the tip diameter and use a cut depth equal to the top of the radial runout.
    You could also use an engraving path but the lead-in and out isn't as well suited.
    www.integratedmechanical.ca

Exclamation

Simple... Make 2 boundries? Make one for the top or inside and one for the chamfer or outside.

You can also set the TOP of the cut in the machining menus where it says TOP and Bottom... Make the top SLGHTLY below the top and Off you go...

Lead ins can be changed to suit your work..

Also HILL machineing may be a better approach..

There are many many ways to do this without a specfic TOOL.. I use only ball nose and have no problems getting the paths I want...

If this didn't help check the mecsoft forum, there are plenty of peeps who can help you with this...

Good luck..
    Marc
    Hey check out my website...www.cravenoriginal.com
    Thanks Marc

I agree

Pointclouds approaches are perfect methods to do what you want using 3D machining strategies.

Potentially (depending on stepover), you could do 5, 10, 20? times around to "single point" profile this type of edge.

My method (although you have to buy a "special" tool) requires once around plus lead in/out.

There is always more than one way to skin a cat.
    www.integratedmechanical.ca

would that be a 2.5D cat or a 3D cat?

all cats...
    Hey check out my website...www.cravenoriginal.com
    Thanks Marc