584,802 active members*
5,071 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Tools / Tooling Technology > CNC Tooling > ER20 Precision Collets <5um

ER20 Precision Collets <5um

Hello,

I need to purchase a set of (or individually) ER20 precision collets, with a runout of 5um or less.

These seem to be readily available but differ in price from around £5 to £45 each depending where you look, although they state they are the same spec??

My question is really where can I purchase these in the UK and know that I am getting a good brand / quality without paying a fortune.Or are the cheap ones just as good or even what brands, if any, are any good?
    I am looking at buying a full set of 12 or as and when I need them depending on the price.

Any suggestions or recommendations of places to purchase these from in the UK would be really helpful.

Thank you

Re: ER20 Precision Collets <5um

Quote Originally Posted by MaggieMarley View Post
    Hello,

I need to purchase a set of (or individually) ER20 precision collets, with a runout of 5um or less.

These seem to be readily available but differ in price from around £5 to £45 each depending where you look, although they state they are the same spec??

My question is really where can I purchase these in the UK and know that I am getting a good brand / quality without paying a fortune.Or are the cheap ones just as good or even what brands, if any, are any good?
    I am looking at buying a full set of 12 or as and when I need them depending on the price.

Any suggestions or recommendations of places to purchase these from in the UK would be really helpful.

Thank you
    Post what brand names you have available, this company has 5um or .0002" which is a little better your tooling has to be good as well or there is not much point in using Precision collets this company may not be in the UK look for Collets that are made in Taiwan are good quality
    Mactec54

Hi,
    I always used to buy RegoFix collets, they are genuine Swiss made and are superb but eye-wateringly expensive.

Then I tried Chinese collet sets, and mostly they were OK, but there always seemed to be one or two out of a set that was not as good as the others,
    just too variable.

Then I tried Vertex, a Taiwanese brand. Very happy, and now I have a Vertex collet sets, vices and chucks. Good iron and good steels, well made, consistent,
    at fair prices.

Craig

Hi,

Thanks for your replies.

I don't mind buying high end collets and paying the premium cost if they are worth it and readily available in the UK. I can simply buy the sizes as and when I need them.
    All the places I have seen so far, sell either unbranded or are branded by the company selling them, so are more than likely at the lower end of the range or just unknown really.

I will have a search for Vertex, Technik's, and RegoFix and see if I can find them in the UK somewhere.

Now I have some recommended brands to go on....

Thanks

Looks like this company sells Vertex,currently around 17+ quid each for ER20 collets.

Rotagrip

Interesting....

Hi,
    17 pound for Vertex? Sounds really high to me, I would expect to pay $35NZD, near as dammit 17 pound for a RegoFix collet, not Vertex.

Craig

Looks like this company sells Vertex,currently around 17+ quid each for ER20 collets.

Rotagrip

Interesting....
    Both these companies have 5um Collets

https://www.accu.co.uk/1256-er-colle...0.005mm&page=1

https://www.engineeringsupplies.co.uk/er20/page/2/
    Mactec54

Thanks,

They look suitable to me, both have a 5 um runout spec and look pretty good.
    Think the Accu ones are their own brand. Not sure about Omega brand, not seen that make before.

Amana Tools is another brand that pops up, but these seem hard to find and expensive??

Think I will order a few from one of these suppliers you listed and maybe a 1/4" Techniks from the states (Amazon) just to see what they are like, with free Amazon p&p.

Only making a fuss about this as I like to buy branded items (Good, known recommended brands) over rebranded or unknown makes.

Thanks, I will order the sizes I need tomorrow.

Just out of interest (As I am new to all this CNC stuff) some of the collets are marked 'UP' and some have a a triangle or other marking stamped on them.
    I assume that the UP means Ultra Precision, but what about the triangle? Or is this just something random that I seen

I have looked around but I would think their must be an official list or grade of different specs. Class one also seems to come up a lot.

Thanks

I have NO idea what you will get buying from Amazon.
    And going on other products, Amazon would not have any idea either. They seem willing to sell anything under any brand name.
    Yes, I do have actual cases/products in mind. In one case there were 12 different products selling under just one model name. 11 were of course either fakes or frauds. Very dodgy.
    Taiwan seems OK. Ditto Taiwan via ebay!

Cheers
    Roger

Hi,
    to be honest I think you are making a mountain out of a molehill. Good collets are nice are nice to have, but really 10um is perfectly OK for most tools.
    Where low runout is essential is with really small tools. I use endmills down to 0.4mm, drills down to 0.2mm, and for those tools low runout is required, otherwise they
    break with monotonous regularity.

It was the small sizes, 1/8 inch and 3mm, that I noticed I was having problems with tool breakage when I bought Chinese collets......and not all Chinese collets, just some.
    For this reason I bought RegoFix, and they are superb, but more recently I've bought Vertex and had good results with them and about 1/2 the price of RegoFix..

My low (ish) speed, high (ish) torque spindle has an ER25 tool holder. I have a near complete set of Jones&Shipman collets. I have Chinese, Vertex and RegoFix collets
    as replacements without any noticeable difference between them, except perhaps at the smallest sizes.

I, like you, prefer known good brands but except for the smallest collets even cheap ones are usually perfectly OK. The tool holders on the other hand....they have to be good
    otherwise no collet, no matter the quality, will ever work properly.

Craig

What puzzles me is how they MAKE collets like ER25/1.0 mm, with 10 um accuracy!
    I dunno!

Cheers
    Roger

Thanks,

They look suitable to me, both have a 5 um runout spec and look pretty good.
    Think the Accu ones are their own brand. Not sure about Omega brand, not seen that make before.

Amana Tools is another brand that pops up, but these seem hard to find and expensive??

Think I will order a few from one of these suppliers you listed and maybe a 1/4" Techniks from the states (Amazon) just to see what they are like, with free Amazon p&p.

Only making a fuss about this as I like to buy branded items (Good, known recommended brands) over rebranded or unknown makes.

Thanks, I will order the sizes I need tomorrow.
    Techniks is available in the UK just being sold by a tool supply company https://www.raptorsupplies.co.uk/c/c...techniks-tools
    Mactec54

I am just starting out with CNC work as well. One other thing I noticed was that some collets are sold as fixed or end mill (EM), which seems to add to their cost. Just another variation to be aware of.

Quote Originally Posted by RCaffin View Post
    What puzzles me is how they MAKE collets like ER25/1.0 mm, with 10 um accuracy!
    I dunno!

Cheers
    Roger
    An ER 25 with a 1mm collet would only have a use for a drill or a reamer for a reamer you want a 5um collet, this can also help to correct run-out of the spindle as you can move the collet around in the nut to get the best position, by checking with an indicator, if it was for a 1mm cutter these size cutters normally would have a 3mm shank
    Mactec54

How they make collet 5micron