584,879 active members*
5,008 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > HURCO > Kwik-switch 200 dropping tool holder during operation?

Kwik-switch 200 dropping tool holder during operation?

Hey guys. So I just finished my first cnc retrofit for an older hurco sm1, and everything was running perfectly until all of a sudden I heard a loud grinding noise and snap, come to find out the kwik-switch collet nut(for lack of a better name) had backed off and dropped the af collet adapter enough that it was free of the machine, but the drive dogs had not completely disengages so it was still being forced to spin, snapping the endmill and scrapping the part. I inspected the spindle and adapter and couldn’t find any obvious signs of failure so I chalked it up as me forgetting to tighten the collet nut sufficiently. And it has since happened 2 more times, snapped 2 more expensive endmills and scrapped 2 more parts. So I’m wondering if I’m doing something wrong when installing the collet adapter ? Or if there is a defect in the locking mechanism I’m not seeing ? This is the first time I’ve ever used a Kwik-switch tooling system so I’m not going to be completely arrogant and say that it could be operator error, but it doesn’t seem like there’s a lot of opportunity for user error So if somebody Has had this issue before or has an idea as to where the issue it, I’d love to hear what you think so I can get this machine running and finish my first part on it. Lol. Thank you

Re: Kwik-switch 200 dropping tool holder during operation?

Quote Originally Posted by Codythecreator View Post
    Hey guys. So I just finished my first cnc retrofit for an older hurco sm1, and everything was running perfectly until all of a sudden I heard a loud grinding noise and snap, come to find out the kwik-switch collet nut(for lack of a better name) had backed off and dropped the af collet adapter enough that it was free of the machine, but the drive dogs had not completely disengages so it was still being forced to spin, snapping the endmill and scrapping the part. I inspected the spindle and adapter and couldn’t find any obvious signs of failure so I chalked it up as me forgetting to tighten the collet nut sufficiently. And it has since happened 2 more times, snapped 2 more expensive endmills and scrapped 2 more parts. So I’m wondering if I’m doing something wrong when installing the collet adapter ? Or if there is a defect in the locking mechanism I’m not seeing ? This is the first time I’ve ever used a Kwik-switch tooling system so I’m not going to be completely arrogant and say that it could be operator error, but it doesn’t seem like there’s a lot of opportunity for user error So if somebody Has had this issue before or has an idea as to where the issue it, I’d love to hear what you think so I can get this machine running and finish my first part on it. Lol. Thank you
    Yes, they can be problematic I would not have one myself, I use the Ericson quick-change 30 where you have to lock it up with a wrench, see if this attachment helps any you may have some springs missing or something not doing its job, is the drive dog pin that you have to press in when you inset the tool still in place
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Kwik-Switch.jpg  
    Mactec54

I've got a toolholding system like that as well. Have you checked the pneumatics? At least on mine, if the Bimba isn't working right, it will drop the toolholder.
    Andrew Werby
    Website

Quote Originally Posted by awerby View Post
    I've got a toolholding system like that as well. Have you checked the pneumatics? At least on mine, if the Bimba isn't working right, it will drop the toolholder.
    There is no pneumatics involved if he has the kwik-switch 200 as posted, it is manual operation done by hand, a wrench can be used to make it tighter or to loosen the clamping Nut
    Mactec54

The spring is shot in the Kwik Switch Nut
    You need to remove the set screw and take it off and replace the spring (s)
    Rich

https://www.universaldevlieg.com/sho...placement-nuts

For parts
    https://www.universaldevlieg.com/sho...ch-repair-kits

Awesome. I’ll look into getting parts to get it fixed. I appreciate everybody chiming in and giving their opinions. Hopefully it’s as simple as a simple spring replacement.

Quote Originally Posted by Codythecreator View Post
    Awesome. I’ll look into getting parts to get it fixed. I appreciate everybody chiming in and giving their opinions. Hopefully it’s as simple as a simple spring replacement.
    You can use the wrench to lock them up even if the spring is not working, or if the spring has been removed, it's not needed if you use the wrench to lock and unlock, you can make this wrench also.

https://www.universaldevlieg.com/ind...+Wrench&page=2
    Mactec54