585,690 active members*
4,554 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking > MetalWork Discussion > Cutting Aluminum Sheets.

Cutting Aluminum Sheets.

Hello,
    I work for a sign business and we got a cnc router a few years ago.
    We have since mastered cutting most sign materials except aluminum sheets.
    Currently I want to cut around 200 5"x2.5" plates out of .060 aluminum.
    I believe the alloy is 3105 if that matters.
    Our table is 4'x2'.
    The problems we normally face are rough edges and lifting as well as aluminum gumming up on the bit.
    We use to adhere the material to the table with spray adhesive, but have since moved on to double sided tape.
    The most success I've had is VERY shallow passes, but it takes so long its not worth the time.
    We feel like the sheet is so thin there has to be a way to cut through in 1 or a few passes.

If someone who cuts similar material could recommend a specific bit with speeds and feeds it would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks!

Re: Cutting Aluminum Sheets.

You might think about using a different alloy. 3105 has poor machinability qualities. Also, when machining aluminum plate on a router, you need to be careful about your speeds and feeds and ramp into your cut. A very thin chip with high RPM will tend to gum up the cutter and cause a failure. Finally, use a cutting fluid. It will help the chips from gumming up on the bit. I often just use WD-40.

Often people have a tendency to take a smaller cut and increase the RPM when that is the opposite of what is needed. As far as the end mill, I have always had good luck with YG1 Alu-Power.

You might think about building a vacuum table, powered by a pump, not a shop-vac. It sounds like a lot of your problem stems from not holding the sheets down firmly enough. Also, using a heat-treated grade of aluminum sheet intended for machining will help with gumming up your cutters.
    Andrew Werby
    Website

Seem like work piece is hold down good enough and the speed is too slow plus no cooling to flush out the chip, it getting right back into the cutting edge.

Can't see what the job is like to can't give any idea how to hold the pieces, .06 thick Aluminum with a decent with cnc should has no problem cutting it.

- - - Updated - - -

Seem like work piece is hold down good enough and the speed is too slow plus no cooling to flush out the chip, it getting right back into the cutting edge.

Can't see what the job is like to can't give any idea how to hold the pieces, .06 thick Aluminum with a decent with cnc should has no problem cutting it.
    The best way to learn is trial error.