585,568 active members*
3,608 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: New to CAM

New to MadCAM

Hi all,

I am a little new to the cam world but will try to explain my dilemma. I have a few different CNC machines and I just purchased a Langmuir MR1. I wanted to try to consolidate CAM packages so I purchased MADCAM as I am learning Rhino and Mad goes along with it. Long story.
    So Langmuir does not offer the post processing download for Mad and I am confused how I can make this work? If it possible to download the fusion cam post processing package and use this as a base for Madcam or is there a general package I could use and load? Are there any good options for me rather than trying to manually do this?

Re: New to MADCAM

I thought I would try and rename this thread to NEW TO MADCAM and see if I could get any kind of hit. Does anyone know how I can download a generic Post processor file? Shouldnt the Machine manufacturer be the person that would have the postprocessor for their machines or is it up to the Cam software to have the options?

Re: New to CAM

There will probably be a post very similar to what you need in madcam, just look in the Post directory . You will probably need to adjust the start code, toolchange and end code . Building a post is not that hard for 3 axis. It is actually a good thing, it helps you understand how the machine works. What you need to do is find / get a sample code and study the first few lines and understand what each line does. . If it is simple code, then it might just be a copy and paste . The best thing to do is just get it to cut a 100x100 square. It is a bit of trial and error. You just need to BE CAREFUL and run very slow and in the air , with hand on the emergency stop .

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	madcam post.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	90.7 KB 
ID:	488801
    Last edited by 3dcncuk; 01-30-2023 at 06:27 PM.

Re: New to CAM

So in a example , in my postprocessor here is the start , end codes, toolchange. ( G71 is metric, M3 starts spindel. M5 stops spindle. M6 - change tool. ) YOur machine will have its own command codes.
    *PROGRAM_START*
    (DAN)
    (CLS,FILTER)
    G71
    G90
    ;
    G79 G0 Z0 ;Safe Z
    ;
    (UAO,1)
    (UTO,1,X0,Y0,Z36.2) ;Set Part Origin
    (DLY,0.5)
    *END_SECTION*

*PROGRAM_END*
    G79 G0 X0
    G28
    M5 S0;STOP SPINDLE
    M30
    *END_SECTION*
    *LINE_START_NUMBER*
    *TOOL_CHANGE*
    G28
    M6T"toolnr"; tool change m code
    h"toolnr"
    G79 G0 Z0; temporarily cancel job origin and move to z safe
    M3 S"speed"
    G27
    *END_SECTION*
    Last edited by 3dcncuk; 01-30-2023 at 06:29 PM.