585,933 active members*
4,024 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Spindles / VFD > HuanYang HY01D523B problem
Page 1 of 2 12

Angry HuanYang HY01D523B problem

Just like previous post I too purchased HY series VFD with a 1.5kw water cooled spindle nearly 2 years ago (have never turned it on)
    My CNC has just finished and time to hook-up VFD
    Placed VFD into a cabinet, connected 220vac to R & S terminals, turned it on to program various parameter, and the VFD accepted all changes ..
    Last page of the documents say to check PD177 - PD180 and if everything is OK you should see _ _ _ _
    Well, I don't see that, what I do have is;
    PD177 - ELun
    PD178 - EOCn
    PD179 - ELun
    PD180 - ELuA

Remember I only have AC 220 connected.
    Is this VFD destined for the rubbish bin ??

Re: HuanYang HY01D523B problem

What does the display show? Those are all errors, like over current, amperage, etc. Did you have the spindle connected?

No spindle is connected yet, left it out on purpose until the VFD was set-up correctly.
    So, when I turn off power and back on again it runs through its usual checks and displays F00000 (flashing)
    I checked the AC input voltages (237vac) (Australia), I ran continuity tests on the 3 phase (output) lines to earth for possible shorts ... Then couldn't think what else to check, so I stopped..
    I really need this CNC working and yesterday after I posted my original thread and reading about other people's problems with the HY VFD, I ended up ordering another cheap 2.2kw A2-8022 VFD ... Figured at least one will work, and if the HY is working I could use it on something else

With no motor connected to the drive....
    The drive WILL just tell you to bogof.

You need to hook it up, THEN see what you get.

OK thanks, I'll connect it and see ..
    I was just worried that the drive was showing errors, then it may also damage the spindle once connected
    Seems I'll have a spare VFD after all

Quote Originally Posted by NovaStar View Post
    OK thanks, I'll connect it and see ..
    I was just worried that the drive was showing errors, then it may also damage the spindle once connected
    Seems I'll have a spare VFD after all
    You don't need the spindle connected to test the Drive is working correct

You have not wired your Drive correct it needs to be connected to R/T and Ground not R/S for this VFD Drive, your Parameters have to be set correct, for the spindle motor specs
    You should not be messing with any of those Parameters you have listed

You can not run a test on the output of your VFD Drive with a Regular Meter you can damage it by doing this.

What Parameters have you set
    Mactec54

Quote Originally Posted by dazp1976 View Post
    With no motor connected to the drive....
    The drive WILL just tell you to bogof.

You need to hook it up, THEN see what you get.
    You should not say such BS.

You should not post stuff like this, unless you are prepared to pay for any damage this may cause, if the drive is not setup correct or already damaged this could also damage the spindle.
    Mactec54

No spindle is connected yet, left it out on purpose until the VFD was set-up correctly.
    So, when I turn off power and back on again it runs through its usual checks and displays F00000 (flashing)
    I checked the AC input voltages (237vac) (Australia), I ran continuity tests on the 3 phase (output) lines to earth for possible shorts ... Then couldn't think what else to check, so I stopped..
    I really need this CNC working and yesterday after I posted my original thread and reading about other people's problems with the HY VFD, I ended up ordering another cheap 2.2kw A2-8022 VFD ... Figured at least one will work, and if the HY is working I could use it on something else
    The A2 is a Dog, send it back. the HY if it is not damaged is a very good VFD Drive
    Mactec54

Angry Re: HuanYang HY01D523B problem

Thanks Matec54
    1. I haven't connected the spindle yet ... not comfortable doing this until there are no errors on pd117 - pd180
    2. There are SO MANY experts online these days, you just don't know who or what to believe anymore. I've seen some horror videos on YouTube with "experts" wiring up these VFDs ...
    3. The Chinese have caused all this confusion with 90% of products coming out of there, with the lack of concise information and instructions for the products they manufacture, please see attached pictures. The Chinese millionaires we all helped to create refuse to pay a few hundred $$ to get a native speaker of the intended market to write the manuals for their products.

Originally I turned to the official "The Use Of Manual" produced by HY
    Only pages 9 & 11 refer to AC connections .. very unclear as to what to connect! and as stated in the use of manuall , you need to connect R,S,T willfully
    So I turned to the install guide I downloaded from somewhere, which kind of seemed to have worked out the CHINGLISH in the use of manual. This document clearly says connect R,S for 230V (Australian) which I did.

The A2 hasn't arrived yet, and if the HY turns out to work as suppose to, then definitely will return the A2

Thanks Matec54
    1. I haven't connected the spindle yet ... not comfortable doing this until there are no errors on pd117 - pd180
    2. There are SO MANY experts online these days, you just don't know who or what to believe anymore. I've seen some horror videos on YouTube with "experts" wiring up these VFDs ...
    3. The Chinese have caused all this confusion with 90% of products coming out of there, with the lack of concise information and instructions for the products they manufacture, please see attached pictures. The Chinese millionaires we all helped to create refuse to pay a few hundred $$ to get a native speaker of the intended market to write the manuals for their products.

Originally I turned to the official "The Use Of Manual" produced by HY
    Only pages 9 & 11 refer to AC connections .. very unclear as to what to connect! and as stated in the use of manuall , you need to connect R,S,T willfully
    So I turned to the install guide I downloaded from somewhere, which kind of seemed to have worked out the CHINGLISH in the use of manual. This document clearly says connect R,S for 230V (Australian) which I did.

The A2 hasn't arrived yet, and if the HY turns out to work as suppose to, then definitely will return the A2
    That is an old manual, and the picture of the Drive is not the same as what you have, so what it is showing is incorrect.

They can be wired R and S but over the years, it has proven that for the HY VFD Drives, for better reliability the (R) and (T) should be used, the manufacture also recommends for Single Phase connection to use (R) and (T), so your Hot wire would be connected to (R) and your Neutral would be connected to (T)

You did not say what Parameters you have set these have to be correct or you will damage your Spindle.

What are the spec's on your spindle??

The faults you have is low Voltage, so you don't have enough main power Amps /supply Voltage, you need a minimum of 25A circuit to run your 2.2KW spindle

This is from Huanyang, not something someone has made up and posted like your snip
    Mactec54

So currently I have a water cooled 1.5kw 220v 8A spindle 400Hz . The HY01D523B can supply max of 7A (pd142)
    I also made the change as rightly advised by many to dismantle the spindle and connect pin 4 to the metal frame of the spindle.
    My VFD settings are attached and will be changing R,S to R,T in the next hour or so.
    The measured voltage in my shed where the CNC lives is 237vac and the entire circuit is rated @ 32Amp . No other machinery or equipment is connected at the moment
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My settings.PNG  

So with the VFD only connected to AC no other connection physically on the other terminals including the spindle UVW I am still getting the following errors. The VFD was placed into Factory Default ... appropriate voltage and frequency settings changed
    PD177 - ELun
    PD178 - EOCn
    PD179 - ELun
    PD180 - ELuA

So with the VFD only connected to AC no other connection physically on the other terminals including the spindle UVW I am still getting the following errors. The VFD was placed into Factory Default ... appropriate voltage and frequency settings changed
    PD177 - ELun
    PD178 - EOCn
    PD179 - ELun
    PD180 - ELuA
    How have you been turning the VFD Drives main Power On / Off

Just a change these and connect your spindle and test run it, If the main Power cable is rated for 35A then you should be fine

PD146=40 (default they are set at default for a reason)
    PD024=0 (you should have full VFD Drive KeyPad Stop Button active at all times)
    PD073=100 (Minimum speed)
    PD006=125
    PD007=20
    PD009=69
    PD010=11
    Mactec54

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    How have you been turning the VFD Drives main Power On / Off
    I'm a little confused by your question, Ive been turning off the power point ... how else should I be turning off the power ??

I'm a little confused by your question, Ive been turning off the power point ... how else should I be turning off the power ??
    You should not be confused, if you are doing it the correct, you would be using some kind of switch either a circuit Breaker MCCB or a main power supply disconnect

Why I asked as some people, don't have the drive hard wired and just Plug and Unplug to disconnect the Power, doing this can damage the VFD Drive and can show the same faults that you where getting
    Mactec54

The A2 is a Dog, send it back. the HY if it is not damaged is a very good VFD Drive
    Guys I am freaking so over this S**T !!!
    The A2-8022 arrived today, and now I find out there's no setting for current output !!
    I ordered 2.2Kw version thinking I should be able to set current, set frequency and off we go
    Turns out NO, this thing has an output of 15A which will fry my 8A 1.5Kw spindle.
    So now I have a shot HY showing faults before I even connect the spindle, and an A2 which can't be set to your needs !!!!

I'm going to return this thing tomorrow, can someone please let me know a reasonable VFD I can get in Australia without having to take out and sell my left kidneys .

NovaStar,
    Wow, I have never seen a VFD where you cannot program the voltage and current as well as frequency. Something sounds wrong, do you have the right manual? I have had a couple of HuanYang VFDs for more than 10 years and they work perfect. I also have a Delta, and a Yaskawa which are also great. Probably the most popular VFD for hobby machines that are quality with very nice manuals are the Hitachi VFDs, they probably cost twice as much as a HuanYang but are very nice and reliable.

I know how frustrating it can be when you hook up this stuff and it does not work. Hang in there you will get it but always be extremely careful when programming VFDs, they are not very forgiving especially if you run the motors below their rated minimum speed, where they get hot and fry the VFD and Spindle.

Guys I am freaking so over this S**T !!!
    The A2-8022 arrived today, and now I find out there's no setting for current output !!
    I ordered 2.2Kw version thinking I should be able to set current, set frequency and off we go
    Turns out NO, this thing has an output of 15A which will fry my 8A 1.5Kw spindle.
    So now I have a shot HY showing faults before I even connect the spindle, and an A2 which can't be set to your needs !!!!

I'm going to return this thing tomorrow, can someone please let me know a reasonable VFD I can get in Australia without having to take out and sell my left kidneys .
    It won't be a problem with your Spindle, it is all auto ranging just make sure you have set all the Parameters for Max Spindle Frequency 400Hz and the Minimum Frequency 120Hz it will run just fine and the 15A will never be a problem the Spindle can only draw its max amps leave Pn 13 and Pn 14 at Default

The HY showing the Faults does not mean there is a problem with the VFD Drive, did you connect the Spindle and Run it like I said
    Mactec54

PD177 - ELun
    PD178 - EOCn
    PD179 - ELun
    PD180 - ELuA
    All these Faults are input power Voltage related

It could be a drive sensor that has failed or just wants more input, this is how you can trick it.

Something to try with the HY VFD Drive, wire the VFD as you had it before R=Hot S=Neutral and add a Jumper from R to T and see if this solves the input Voltage problem
    Mactec54

Question Re: HuanYang HY01D523B problem

All these Faults are input power Voltage related

It could be a drive sensor that has failed or just wants more input, this is how you can trick it.

Something to try with the HY VFD Drive, wire the VFD as you had it before R=Hot S=Neutral and add a Jumper from R to T and see if this solves the input Voltage problem
    As you can tell had a bad day yesterday

No I hadn't connected the spindle to HY yet, but I'll give the wiring a go today see if that helps.if all the faults disappear then the HY stays in the cabinet
    And while the A2 arrived and you say it automatically adjusts to spindle current draw then I may as well keep it as a backup or something.

But I honestly convinced myself yesterday that the spindle had no current limiting circuit or anything, and if the A2 pushes15A through it, that it would fry my spindle...

Page 1 of 2 12