584,837 active members*
5,602 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Coolant pump question

Hey guys, so I just finished the main portion of my cnc retrofit, and I’m to the point I’d like to reinstall my coolant pump. When I went to wire it back in, I wasn’t sure if I was supposed to wire it for single phase of 3 phase. The nameplate says 240v/480v, but 1 of the 3 windings is double that of the other 2, indicating (to me at least) that, that was the start winding. But I never removed a start capacitor, from the pump or the machine. And there’s no centrifugal clutch (that i can tell) to disengage the start winding if there was a capacitor. I did however pull quite a few contactors out of the old control panel, some of which were paired with a timer contactor/relay. I guess it would be possible to wire 2 contactors up so that one powered the motor and the timer conpleted the start winding for a given amount of time, but that doesn’t seem like how a machinery manufacturer would have wired something like that, in my opinion. So my question is if somebody has worked with these kinds of coolant pumps before and if they can tell me if it’s single phase or 3 phase, and if it’s capacitor start or not. Thank you
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 3E6A7C7C-2AC4-4165-A890-F4B9DE722E5E.jpg  

Re: Coolant pump question

Quote Originally Posted by Codythecreator View Post
    Hey guys, so I just finished the main portion of my cnc retrofit, and I’m to the point I’d like to reinstall my coolant pump. When I went to wire it back in, I wasn’t sure if I was supposed to wire it for single phase of 3 phase. The nameplate says 240v/480v, but 1 of the 3 windings is double that of the other 2, indicating (to me at least) that, that was the start winding. But I never removed a start capacitor, from the pump or the machine. And there’s no centrifugal clutch (that i can tell) to disengage the start winding if there was a capacitor. I did however pull quite a few contactors out of the old control panel, some of which were paired with a timer contactor/relay. I guess it would be possible to wire 2 contactors up so that one powered the motor and the timer conpleted the start winding for a given amount of time, but that doesn’t seem like how a machinery manufacturer would have wired something like that, in my opinion. So my question is if somebody has worked with these kinds of coolant pumps before and if they can tell me if it’s single phase or 3 phase, and if it’s capacitor start or not. Thank you
    The coolant Pump would not of been on a Timer circuit they normally can be controlled manual or Auto

240v does not mean it is single phase a photo of the pump motor wiring terminals may show what you have
    Mactec54

Re: Coolant pump question

Yeah I didn’t think it would be wired up like that But I’ll post a pic of the terminals Remember the top terminal is has twice the resistance as the other 2 which is what lead me to believe it’s a start winding hence why I thought it could be single phase