585,938 active members*
3,295 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Spindles / VFD > Mach3, ESS, MB3 and VFD

Mach3, ESS, MB3 and VFD

I am using the titled parts but cannot get voltage on the A0 AG connection. I've tried setting the Base Freq all the way to 1000, but it doesn't work. What tells Mach that the MB3 board needs to change voltages? Maybe the spindle setup, but I've tried a few different configurations without any success. I do get For and Rev Run from the relays to show on the drive, which is an Automation Direct ACNND-2010. I appreciate any input.

Jim

Re: Mach3, ESS, MB3 and VFD

Quote Originally Posted by jlmccuan View Post
    I am using the titled parts but cannot get voltage on the A0 AG connection. I've tried setting the Base Freq all the way to 1000, but it doesn't work. What tells Mach that the MB3 board needs to change voltages? Maybe the spindle setup, but I've tried a few different configurations without any success. I do get For and Rev Run from the relays to show on the drive, which is an Automation Direct ACNND-2010. I appreciate any input.

Jim
    The Frequency setting in Mach3 =100=10v, if you have the SmoothStepper there are settings in there for spindle that have to be correct as well or matching

https://www.warp9td.com/index.php/faq/faq-mach3#Spindle

What motor are you running??

You have to get the Analog 0-10v working at the Board level before you connect it to the VFD Drive

There is a setup that you have to do for the Analog 0-10v so follow the manual to get that part working
    Mactec54

Well, now I have voltage on the AO by setting the spindle to pin 17 of port 3, but all I can get is 9.5 to 10.5 by changing the potentiometer. Changing the rpm with the S word doesn't change the voltage. Neither does the override.

I have the PWM in Mach3 and the MB3/ESS plugin. Going up or down makes no difference

I have the PWM in Mach3 and the MB3/ESS plugin. Going up or down makes no difference
    There is some problem with the Port & Pin selection spindle setup in Mach3
    Mactec54

What signal should the spindle be mapped to? I currently have it mapped to the AO pin. Port 3 Pin 17

What signal should the spindle be mapped to? I currently have it mapped to the AO pin. Port 3 Pin 17
    Ports & Pins need to match the Spindle Pin, so this snip below is the norm configuration
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Spindle Setup.jpg   Spindle Setup-1.jpg   Spindle Setup-2.PNG   Spindle Setup-3.PNG  

Mactec54

I appreciate the help, but I don't see anything under your post. I also am not familiar with a "Spindle" pin on the MB3. Am I not doing something?

I appreciate the help, but I don't see anything under your post. I also am not familiar with a "Spindle" pin on the MB3. Am I not doing something?
    The MB3 is just a Breakout Board for the ESS to mount on, you just have to setup Mach3 and the Smooth Stepper

That was strange I have never had that happen before I will try it again, I see them now
    Mactec54

Well, I finally got the AO to change voltages, but now the voltages are reversed. With an S10,000 I get a voltage of 1.23 and with an S10 I get a voltage of 9.25. Crazy. There has to be something simple.

I thought about simply switching the AO and AG, but they are connected with the common to AG and the AO to the V1 which is supposed to be correct. Do you suppose switching them will damage anything?

Got brace and switched the wires. It did not work at all. The VFD shows run and the AO lights up, but the VFD did not recognize the signal. Switched them back and everything works as before. The higher the S word, the lower the voltage.
    Last edited by jlmccuan; 06-08-2022 at 08:33 PM.

Well, I finally got the AO to change voltages, but now the voltages are reversed. With an S10,000 I get a voltage of 1.23 and with an S10 I get a voltage of 9.25. Crazy. There has to be something simple.

I thought about simply switching the AO and AG, but they are connected with the common to AG and the AO to the V1 which is supposed to be correct. Do you suppose switching them will damage anything?

Got brace and switched the wires. It did not work at all. The VFD shows run and the AO lights up, but the VFD did not recognize the signal. Switched them back and everything works as before. The higher the S word, the lower the voltage.
    S10000 needs to be like this no Comma.

You have an active High and Active Low this can reverse it.

Changing wiring will cause a short circuit and can damage the inputs
    Mactec54

I realize that GCode doesn't recognize the comma. Active High and Active Low changes result in the spindle not coming on at all and wouldn't reverse the analog out signal, only how it is recognized or ignored. I am not using Step/Direction.

Guess I dodged a bullet when I reversed them and put them back, ending up with the same result as before I tried switching them.

I realize that GCode doesn't recognize the comma. Active High and Active Low changes result in the spindle not coming on at all and wouldn't reverse the analog out signal, only how it is recognized or ignored. I am not using Step/Direction.

Guess I dodged a bullet when I reversed them and put them back, ending up with the same result as before I tried switching them.
    G-Code can recognize a comma, that is why it should not be used with the S command

What is the spindle motor you are using as not all can have FWD and Reverse??

Do you have this manual??

The Ports & Pins Outputs for the spindle control can be set to active low, just depends on the configuration, doing this has nothing to do with Step / Dir control

Have you checked all the jumpers on the MB3 Board are in the right position.
    Mactec54

Good question on the jumpers. I don't have the manual or even a model number for the motor. I do know it is a Mitsubishi 3.7KW. I can run it forward and reverse. The only thing that's not working now is the speed. The MB3 board is outputting a higher voltage with a lower S word and a lower voltage with a higher S word.

Weird!! I had previously changed to all possible configurations for the Active High and Active Low in the motor outputs. Anything but an Active High on Step and Active Low on Direction, and the spindle would not come on. On an "out of ideas hunch" I changed the Direction Pin to an unassigned pin, Pin 1 of Port 3, and it ran but with the voltage reversed. I changed the Direction to Active High and the voltage swapped. Everything is working and, I just have to calibrate my rpm's which is easy. Evidently Mach3 wants to see a pin, used or not, for Step and Direction, even though I'm running PWM through the Analog Out pin on the MB3.

Thanks for all the help, and for those looking for an answer, this might be it for them as well.

Good question on the jumpers. I don't have the manual or even a model number for the motor. I do know it is a Mitsubishi 3.7KW. I can run it forward and reverse. The only thing that's not working now is the speed. The MB3 board is outputting a higher voltage with a lower S word and a lower voltage with a higher S word.
    Mach3 will not show the RPM unless you use an encoder input with a single pulse per rev
    Mactec54

Every other board I've used has been able to reverse this just by changing active high/low on the STEP pin in Mach3 > motor outputs > spindle > step > H/L.
    If relays are working fine don't change the dir one.

Afaic if using pwm/analog, Mach just directs the step setting to either the pwm or s/d depending on your chosen preference.