584,874 active members*
5,112 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Novakon > Pathpilot Installaiton

Pathpilot Installaiton

Hey Folks.
    When I tried to boot up my pro this morning, the pathpilot controller started up with the splash screen then went straight to the safe to turn off screen. Tried several times to reboot, checked all plugins and nothing out of the ordinary. Computer seems to be working since I get the screens but something funky going on. Has anyone seen this before? Is there a procedure to re-install pathpilot since it's been a long time since I made the switch from Mach and kinda forgot how to do it!!!
    Many Thanks.
    Bill
    billyjack
    Helicopter def. = Bunch of spare parts flying in close formation! USAF 1974 ;>)

Re: Pathpilot Installaiton

I've had this happen a few times . You can use the recovery mode to bring it back to original . On a couple occasions what worked for me was to go into recovery mode then cancel the reinstall at the prompt stating everything will be wiped out (or something to that effect) . That was enough to get it working again , I'm not sure why or how it tripped it to work again but it did . On a couple other occasions that didn't work and I had to go through the full recovery which wiped out my settings , programs and all . I've tried numerous times to get to the os and back up when this has happened but that was always a fail

this got me curious if this issue has ever been resolved with an easy fix because I know it's going to happen again . This bulletin from tormach may explain the problem . Bad battery makes a bit of sense . On at least 3 occasions it happened on the same mill and the other mills it happened randomly and I think it was power outages that threw things off .

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j...pbNTFIEXPpQKV6

Thanks metalmayhem!y
    I read about the battery and changed mine out with no change in the problem. I tested the battery with a VOM and it tested good for voltage so who knows. I started my reinstall late yesterday and will get back to work early this morning and hopefully, remember all the steps in installation. PP is a good program but when there are problems, I'm completely lost with the linux systems. Many thanks again.
    Bill
    billyjack

whats with the 'new' format, CNCzone,? - as soon as i turn away i have to log in again, even if i do a search after just logging in!!
    The old CNCzone was MUCH better.
    What does this Pathpilot cost? someone said the cost of a USB stick! Downloadable?
    cheers,
    PS Hope they fix that power cycle crashing thingo.

Quote Originally Posted by bill south View Post
    Thanks metalmayhem!y
    I read about the battery and changed mine out with no change in the problem. I tested the battery with a VOM and it tested good for voltage so who knows. I started my reinstall late yesterday and will get back to work early this morning and hopefully, remember all the steps in installation. PP is a good program but when there are problems, I'm completely lost with the linux systems. Many thanks again.
    Bill
    Bummer that didn't help , I'd love to see a quick fix for this problem because I have 5 computers running this program and I know it's going to happen again , which reminds me that it's time for a backup of all my programs . The booting straight to pp is convenient in one manner and terrible in another , at least if a guy can boot to the os first then everything can be saved to a usb drive if pp craps out .

Well, I kinda got it running again. Only on Pathpilot 2.0. I plan on upgrading later but after 2 days, I'm tired of messing with it. On the re-install, I somehow had some files mixed up with my novakon install files and of course, I didn't have a good copy of my install (I do now). I had homing and spindle issues with wrong direction but figured that out after a while.
    The only issue I have now is after homing, the axis does not return to the original position. I basically homes and stays at the homing position which is undesirable after years of it returning. That is on my agenda tomorrow. Slowly but surely the software code is coming back to me. Thanks for the help.
    Regarding the cost of pathpilot!! Use to be around $100 from Tormach. Been years since I looked though.
    Bill
    billyjack