585,996 active members*
4,539 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

Which Face Mill to get?

Hi Guys

I am looking for some Tooling for my Tormach mainly a Face Mill and small End Mill (1") using the Insert technology. There are so many different types of cutting heads and even more Inserts that it is very frustrating trying to figure out which one to get. Most of my machining will be with Aluminum 90% with a small amount in Steel. Cost is very important to me but I also don't want to purchase junk. I have looked at the K Tools Face Mill which looks like it does a good job but it only accepts K Tools Inserts. With the Tormachs 1-1/2 HP Spindle Motor I would guess you would need a 1.5" to 2" Face Mill?

Would be interested in you thoughts on a good Face Mill Cutter & End Mill for my application with the Tormach CNC Mill.

Appreciate your help.

Willy

Happy with these

FOR ALUMINUM:

We've used Korloy Inserts with Profile & Grind for aluminum in Dolfa Face/shoulder mill holders.

Korloy Inserts are available from Travers.com tool company: TCGT 21.52 HI CARB. INSERT Catalog Number: 22-286-776

And I picked up the Dolfa holders from:

http://www.msdiscount.com/columnar.a..._site=STARTOOL

ALSO CHECK OUT:

We are currently considering other products as well. See details in thread:

http://cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42858 Contact DaveReagan for his info as well.

I like the idea of 8 edges per insert and the ability to use round/square/and octagon.

John

I haven't tried face mills yet but have used a 2" flycutter from Rotary Technologies that takes circular carbide inserts:

http://www.rotarytech.com/products.php

The inserts are expensive but you get multiple "edges" on each so the cost per edge is pretty economical.

They've worked well on aluminum and Delrin, which is all I've tried them on so far.

Mike

Mike, thank you for that link. The 2" flycutter is on sale for $29.95 (regular $90) including one insert. And it is .750" shank, so it looks like it could be made TTS-compatible. Have you modified yours for TTS, or just using it as is? They do sound like just the thing with their extreme positive rake.

Best regards,

Randy

I wouldn't go any bigger than 1.5" for a face mill, make sure you go for a high positive cutter or you will have problems.

Instead of a 1" indexable, just run 3/4" or even only 1/2" cobalt rougher's. They are very affordable, can haul major a$$ and will last forever in aluminum. You would probably have better luck running a small rougher than an indexable endmill.
    Live free or die

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Reamer View Post
    I wouldn't go any bigger than 1.5" for a face mill, make sure you go for a high positive cutter or you will have problems.
    Chuck, would your advice be the same for the flycutter that Mike linked above? It looks very attractive to me, with a single highly positive rake insert and it is a balanced design.

The real machinists at work (I'm just an engineer so am a novice in the shop) use flycutters to surface stock. And I'm pretty sure they are never less than 2" swing.

I've tried facing aluminum stock with a roughing endmill before and was not happy with the results.

Best regards,

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by ProtoTrains View Post
    Chuck, would your advice be the same for the flycutter that Mike linked above? It looks very attractive to me, with a single highly positive rake insert and it is a balanced design.

The real machinists at work (I'm just an engineer so am a novice in the shop) use flycutters to surface stock. And I'm pretty sure they are never less than 2" swing.

I've tried facing aluminum stock with a roughing endmill before and was not happy with the results.

Best regards,

Randy

I just took a look and that fly cutter would probably work pretty damn nice, I don't think it would do anymore than .035 DOC max(on steel). Just knowing how the Tormach runs, in aluminum it would be really nice 4500, .005 per tooth feed and you would end up with a mirror finish. (only speculation here, I have never used one). I have seen carbide fly cutters like that before, I just cant remember who else makes them.

I sometimes use a fly cutter with HSS to face on aluminum or really light cuts on steel. I think the smallest I have is about 1" dia cut, but I run over 2" a lot.

Facing stock with a rougher wont work worth a $hit, but for stock removal you cant beat them, at least in a Tormach.
    Live free or die

could you mount a hertel facemill on a tormach ?
    you can get them as small as 2" maybe smaller , they are truely a great mill for cutting aluminum , they work great for facing as well as profiling if the tool is running true

Have you modified yours for TTS, or just using it as is? They do sound like just the thing with their extreme positive rake.
    Randy,

So far I've just used it with the standard Tormach 3/4" collet, primarily to surface plastic and aluminum stock. Eventually I may try to set it up for TTS, but I haven't seen the need so far.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by dertsap View Post
    could you mount a hertel facemill on a tormach?
    As long as it has either an R8 or 3/4" straight shank, it would mount in a Tormach, dertsap.

Best regards,

Randy

I have my tooling supplier bringing me in a K-tool, 1.25" with 3 inserts. We tried to find an Ingersol cutter that would work and didnt have very much luck.

After he took a look at the vidio on the Tormach website, he was impressed and they can get the K-tool no problem. I will try it out over the next few weeks and post some more infor on it, including cutter price and insert price.
    Live free or die

I finally tried out my K-tools octa mill, wow the salesman and I were amazed with it.

It is 1.25" with 3 inserts in a X20 grade. I ran it full cutter width in HTSR 4140. 1750 RPM, .075DOC with a 16.2IPM feed. Cut like butter, beautiful golden chips coming off. Machine didn't bog down at all and was very quite in the cut. Can do 2/3 cutter width .050DOC at 32.4 IPM with ease, thats about 550SFM, and a .006 per tooth.

I would not hesitate to go to 1.5" dia if I had to do it again, the machine could handle it no problem. I will also purchase a .75" dia end mill from K-tools when I have a big pocket for it. They can be ramped in at 25 degrees, I cant wait to try it out.

The other great thing was that the cutter body was only $165, with the inserts about $13 each (8 cutting edges). I don't know any other manufacture that sells body for that price, except for rotarytech. I looked into the cutters from rotary and would have had to ship and pay brokerage fees with every insert order.

We abused it for a while, and even stalled the machine out mid cut. Except for the stall that damaged one cutting edge on one inserts. There are no signs of wear even after the hot rolled scale and some P20.

After using an octa mill for my self I think it is the only way to go for a Tormach. I don't work for K-tools, just really impressed with the cutter.
    Live free or die

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelHenry View Post
    I haven't tried face mills yet but have used a 2" flycutter from Rotary Technologies that takes circular carbide inserts:

http://www.rotarytech.com/products.php

The inserts are expensive but you get multiple "edges" on each so the cost per edge is pretty economical.

They've worked well on aluminum and Delrin, which is all I've tried them on so far.

Mike

so has any one else tried these yet? i am thinking about ordering a 1" and 2" fly cutter but would like to hear some more feed back.

I'm not sure you can make it TTS compatible (i.e. you'd loose repeatability)
    Why not go for the proven stuff? I've ordered one and it's in the mail at the moment:

TTS Multi Purpose Face Mill (30679) $197.00
    1.5" Diameter, 3.25" Length. 2 flute, carbide inserts. Use 535 series octagon or round inserts. The Face Mill comes with two screws and one wrench.

Octagon Face Mill Inserts (30682) $12.50
    These are normally used in pairs. 535 Octagon, Positive Top, IC= 0.625", T= 0.222" X 20 multipurpose coating, for ferrous and non-ferrous materials.

I like Lovejoy face mills. Reasonably priced.

You can make any .75" shank tool TTS compatible using the TTS conversion kit. Basically it's a custom washer with the TTS geometry that is epoxied in place. It's on Tormach's website under accessories.

I have converted several tools to be TTS compatible, I just made a washer on the lathe and it works great.

The K-tool Octa mill is AMAZING, I have been using it a lot and I am very glad that I went with it.
    Live free or die

My flycutter has a collar

I've been really happy with my Valenite Metal Master flycutter, and finally got around to converting it to TTS (it has a 3/4" shank to start with).

I bought a 1/2"-shank carbide lathe toolbit (type AL8) and held it in the milling vise, and used it to face down the flycutter body, taking small cuts (about .005" per pass). Since the body was turning in the spindle itself, this assures that the resultant surface was true to the mill spindle.

I'm between lathes right now (that's a whole 'nuther story) so I bought a couple of #3099 tool conversion kits from Little Machine Shop. The epoxy in the kit doesn't seem to be anything really special other than the cool self-mixing packet in which it's contained.

Per the instructions I thoroughly degreased the flycutter body and conversion ring, and epoxied the ring in place, clamping it in the spindle to cure. The epoxy made a nice fillet under the ring.

So now my flycutter has a defined tool length, along with all my other cutters. And it makes an almost mirror finish (well better than Mic-6) on aluminum. I'm happy.

Best regards,

Randy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails flycutter1.jpg   flycutter2.jpg   flycutter3.jpg  

Octa Mill

Yes i also like them. I have the small one and a larger one. Good Cutters and tough.

Hi Guys

I also have an Octa Mill. Sure does a nice job of surfacing both Steel and Aluminum.

Willy

Page 1 of 2 12