585,573 active members*
3,600 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 2 of 2 12
    zephyr9900, I have several of the Valenite Metal Master cutters as well (different sizes/number of cutters). I also purchased the TTS conversion kits but was planning on manufacturing a ring with a slope on the inside to match the slope on the cutter head. Then the TS ring could sit on top of this. I hadn't even thought of modifying the cutter itself but that actually looks like the better way to go (fewer parts and less chance for errors creeping in). It doesn't look like you took off very much metal so I can't imagine it effecting cutter performance/rigidity at all. Good idea.

Thanks. Once I got past the enormous fillet, the body flares out quickly so I really didn't take off that much meat.

Of course, large fillets make for long tool life by reducing stress concentration, but the toolbit I used to face the body itself has a decent radius (still within the chamfer of the Tormach adapter ring) and I figure the outboard contact of the ring on the spindle end will help absorb any extra forces from interrupted cuts. With the high-shear frustrum inserts, the cutting forces are supposed to be relatively low anyway.

Best regards,

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelHenry View Post
    I haven't tried face mills yet but have used a 2" flycutter from Rotary Technologies that takes circular carbide inserts
    This is an ancient thread, but the insert that came with my Rotary Technologies MM200 flycutter is about expired. I have one more indexing to go. But I have not yet found a place that is not a wholesale distributor that sells the inserts. Rotary Technologies themselves are no help--they just said "call distributors"... Mike (or anyone else who uses a Rotary Technologies flycutter) do you have a source for the inserts?

Thanks,

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr9900 View Post
    Mike (or anyone else who uses a Rotary Technologies flycutter) do you have a source for the inserts?
    Hi Randy,

So far as I can remember I bought my last set of inserts directly from Rotary Tech - don't they sell them anymore? I never checked, but would these conform to at least some sort of quasi-standard format. Anyone that sells Valenite products should be able to provide them.

Mike

Mike, the lady who answered the phone said they were not set up to sell directly. I got a response from one distributor who said that Rotary Technologies will only sell to them in 5- and 10-packs. Given that my first insert has lasted over 6 years, even a 5-pack is an extreme overkill. The insert seems to be specific to Rotary Tech, and none of the four round Valenite inserts at MSC is of the same configuration.

Randy

Randy - I'm sorry to hear that. I was pretty sure I bought less than 5 inserts from Rotary Tech a few years back and it may have been just one or two, so they must have changed the policy. Their web site sure looks a lot different now, than what I remember. If you are interested, I'll check my stock and see if I have enough spares to sell a couple to you.

Mike

Mike, I appreciate the offer. I think, though, that I should bite the bullet and buy the 5-pack at $130 through the distributor and it will likely be a lifetime supply. With the large nose radius and negative rake, the MM200 does give an excellent surface finish.

Randy

Page 2 of 2 12