585,931 active members*
3,684 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

DIY QTC for HF 8X12" Lathe??

Hello,

Can anybody tell me if someone has created a QTC mechanism for their mini-lathe and documented it well? I don't really want to spend 100$ on something that I could machine for much less and get the satisfaction out of..

The tolerances don't really seem critical for it, so it seems like a promising project

Steve
    Steve
    "Drink your school, stay in drugs, and don't do milk!"

this is the best (and easiest) one I have seen on the 'net.
    http://aardvark.co.nz/pjet/qctp.shtml

robotic regards,

Tom
    = = = = =
    "While he sees his refusal to show weakness as his greatest strength, his refusal to show anything but strength is actually his greatest weakness."
    - - Roberta Proctor

Thanks Tom!,

That does look very easy to do, but I'd be concerned about available clamping force. I wonder if it would be rigid enough for most jobs?

You gotta love the simplicity though! I'm thinking of making it now

Steve
    Steve

I just paid 149+tax and shipping on a wedge type phase II tool post kit(4 or 5 holders) from enco, and still have to get the satisfaction of modifying it to fit two seperate lathes. I looked into the project a bit, even went as far as cutting up some steel I have into a proper size for spare holders. If I were to make one I would pattern it after a Myford style with the multiple angles, otherwise a typical aloris style would be second. The big problem was by the time I bought the steel(using steel of questonable origins may cause difficulties) and would get it heat treated like a purchased one it would have been more costly then just buying a finished one. I am not sure I would waste time on building one without harderning it, although some have made them work they were on larger lathes were there was more surface area to spread the forces out on. I have since decided that once I finish the mods for the 9x20 post, I will make the steel I have into spare holders which you can never have enough of, on my shaper which has to be the cheapest and easiest machine to make that on as all I need is a piece of HSS. I have not seen anyone make a wedge style post yet, the way I figure its worth the difference in price of about $50 either way and what little time I have left is better spent on other projects.
    chris

Very true about the nearly negligable costs involved, but I think hobby work really isn't about getting things done cheaper.. It's about getting satisfaction out of doing things, but there is definitely a tradeoff between doing what you really desire and what you need to get the job done. I'm taking 16 courses as a part of my final year in electrical engineering, so I guess time isn't a luxury.

I have searched quite a bit for quick tool changers that'll work well with my machine. I have found two solutions, neither of them are particularily attractive. First, is

http://www.littlemachineshop.com/pro...ProductID=2461

This is constructed out of 6061-T6 aluminum, which I don't believe is the right material for something like this. It will fit the lathe without a hitch, but it only holds 3/8" tooling and will probably scratch and wear easily due to it being aluminum. I don't think anyone can dispute this, aluminum is simple not even close to being ideal for something like this.

My second solution was promising due to the quality of the construction and the price being nearly equivalent to LMS.

http://cgi.ebay.com/6-12-PISTON-QUIC...QQcmdZViewItem

But, it needs to be modified in a huge way to get it to fit, as detailed here..

http://www.fignoggle.com/machines/8x...Phase2QCTP.htm

It seems like a ridiculous modification, something I would do if I bought something that didn't fit the job and I really wanted to make it work.

Not to bash LMS, but I have found much better prices from Discount Machine Shop for exactly the same products. In some cases, the same product for 2X the money of LMS. I would really prefer to get the best bang for buck from DMM, but I might have to resort to inferior aluminum QTC that is probably marked up a significant amount.

Steve
    Steve

My only grip with aluminum is that it could bend and deform, otherwise taig uses aluminum for there tool post and I have never had a problem and they can take quite a good cut. People often forget we cut steel with aluminum on a regular basis, even the HSS cutting tools. I would think for longevity hardened steel would be the best choice, also as far as mods go removing any kind of metal seems to me a bad idea, I would go for the ones that don't require that or as little as possible, then again I need to make my QCTP work with a 9x20 stud and a regular t-nut tool slot so I am not moding the post itself.

chris

I made my own piston type QCTP for a 7x12 lathe. You will need access to a mill to do the dovetails.

The parts were done in Alibre, so scaling it up or changing would not be an issue.

I paid about $30 for the materials and still have enough to make 3-4 more tool posts (You can never have enough tool holders!!!!). If you have a full scrap bin your cost could be nothing.

Aaron

[QUOTE=ToyMaker;340636]this is the best (and easiest) one I have seen on the 'net.
    http://aardvark.co.nz/pjet/qctp.shtml

robotic regards,

Tom

I just made this one out of steel and the center part is good and sterdy
    but the part that holds the cutter is really hard to clamp so im going to make one out of aluminum and keep the center steel as it is really strong no flex what so ever. i bought a qctp and i hate it there is so much flex in that thing.
    i'd rather use the one that came with my machine and just use shims.

I was going to make my own, but ended up buying a Phase II AXA wedge type. I'm really glad I did, as Shars has tool holders for about $12 each, and I now have about 17 tool holders. It would have taken me for ever to make the holders.

The repeatability of the AXA design is great for my CNC machine.
    Regards,
    Mark

http://www.lathemaster.com/QUICK%20C...POST%20SET.htm

Its out of stock at the moment but I have never heard anyone complain about it for the 8x12/14

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19812 looks like a simple way to mount a standard qctp on the 8x12/14

I wanted to get the bolt on lathemaster QCTP but they say they "Should" have some in December - its out of stock now

The lathemaster is the cat's meow for the 8 X series lathes. I have one on my Lathemaster 8x14. It works wonderfully and took 3 minutes flat to install. Plus the tool holders are modified to help bring 1/2" bits down to center with some room to spare. In my mind there's no other alternative that can come close for quality, fit and value for the price of the Lathemaster post. Besides, with the cost of raw materials and shipping charges these days your savings would be minimal if you made your own.

Well its February and Lathemaster is still out of stock on the modified AXA QTCP for the 8x lathe. I was waiting but this is getting very long.

I am thinking about using AXA tool holders for my 8x - cut down. You have to cut the bottom .1 or so, to keep from milling the compound, to get center with a 1/2 tool.
    I am considering making my own QCTP to fit the AXA holders. Allot of the hassle in adapting the standard AXA quick change tool post to the 8x comes from its height. With the 8x lathe I cant think of a reason to really have all that height.
    So anyone have the dimensions of the AXA dovetails - angle / height and width? (Of the dovetail not the holder)
    I want to order the dovetail cutter when I order the holders. If I fail then not much is lost and the AXA holders can be used if Lathemaster gets their post back in stock. I might learn a thing or two on the proccess either way.
    Edit: Dont need the angle anymore - I ordered an AXA tool holder today, along with other items. It would have been nice to get the dovetail cutter and all in one order but I'm sure I will find other things to order too so the next shipment is not too far away.

For a toolpost that is smaller than the AXA/100 size, look at the Phase II hobby:

http://www.phase2plus.com/details.as...OL_SETS&id=238

http://www.littlemachineshop.com/pro...ory=-419988835

Nice quality and a reasonable price.

Glenn

Quote Originally Posted by Glennza View Post
    For a toolpost that is smaller than the AXA/100 size, look at the Phase II hobby:

http://www.phase2plus.com/details.as...OL_SETS&id=238

http://www.littlemachineshop.com/pro...ory=-419988835

Nice quality and a reasonable price.

Glenn
    Thanks!

The Hobby from Phase2 looked ok but its only 3/8 capable - I have allot of 1/2 tooling as the stock post takes that size no problem. Plus I'm not sure how well it will adapt to the 8X with its 20mm dia riser in the compound. I dont want to modify the lathe, as there really is no good reason to do so.

The aluminum A2Z tool post has been reviewed a few times too - it was described a marginal on the 7x and I have heard nothing but complaints for it when used on the 8x. Some have switched back to their stock post after using it.
    I contacted A2Z they did say that if a 1/2 bit is used the holder will flex more than the bit.

I have looked at all the options believe me. I have been waiting for months for lathemaster! I think a DIY tool post / with AXA holders might work out fine and be a fun little project. The AXA post does take some mods to mount on a 8x and if it put that time into a DIY post no Lathe changes will be required.

I just was hoping to find out if the axa was a 60 or 45 angle dovetail, if its some other angle then tooling gets more complicated. If I could find out, then I could order the cutter at the same time as the holders.

My two cents, first post.

I had both the ‘hobby’ size and series 100 in shop and the comparison lead me to use the 100. The hobby size was just too small and weak looking.

I followed these methods:
    http://www.fignoggle.com/machines/8x...Phase2QCTP.htm

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19812
    I did not worry about altering the cross slide, as Littlemachine shop sells them for a reasonable price.
    I had to have the work done elsewhere, and am waiting to try it out.

I did try to contact Lathemaster, but he will not respond by phone or email. We last spoke before Cabin Fever, and he seemed fine. I hope he is well.

Selden

PS: I'd love cutting speed and depth advice for the LM 8x12, as I have no formal training, and don't think I'm getting as good results as I should, both in depth of cut and finish quality. Thanks.

Yes I was going to snag one of those crossslides for twelve dollars and cut away!
    but I noticed its missing its oil feeders and they don't list them.

Also the links you showed was just about how lathemaster used to do it. On the yahoo lathemaster group there is an old post talking about getting the compound too thin and flex there. It may or may not be a problem but more metal in that area cant hurt things. Leading me right back around to the same place toolpost wise. Plus I think making a tool post might be fun I do have the 8x12 and X3 so it would use both machines.

I read that the January issue of "Home Shop Machinist" Has an article and plans for a 8x lathe tool post....I dont know much more than that.

As far as lathe advise..... I had high school shop and made a plumb bob that's the extent of my formal training so I would be the blind leading the blind there. Hopefully as I use my lathe more I will get faster and more precise. If I get rough finishes - I slow down the feed or check the bit.
    http://www.shinyobjectdesign.com/staff/paul/sbvideo/ might help?

thanks.

I'll check out that website. And, while I was chatting with a good friend today, I learned he shares a shop with a friend who has a lathe and makes all his own boat parts. I asked him to ask if he would give me lessons, and knowing my friend, I think some sort of good will come from the contact.

My opinion is that cutting down the slide by that much won't make a significant difference. Making one would be good fun, and if you have the tools, I say go! You will learn more than the cost of materials.

Quote Originally Posted by seldenstudent View Post

My opinion is that cutting down the slide by that much won't make a significant difference. Making one would be good fun, and if you have the tools, I say go! You will learn more than the cost of materials.
    I hope your right. In thinking about it - if your taking the 3/4" / 20mm boss off thats about 3/4" high then your taking at least another .12 off one of the articles said your only left with .25" around the stud! If your cutting with a good tool post and a 1/2 bit that looks to be the weak spot. The old lathemaster post makes me wonder.

Quote Originally Posted by DonF View Post
    Thanks!

....................SNIP

I just was hoping to find out if the axa was a 60 or 45 angle dovetail, if its some other angle then tooling gets more complicated. If I could find out, then I could order the cutter at the same time as the holders.
    Take a look at this link - the author makes his own 60° dovetail cutter to make AXA toolholders.

http://www.cnccookbook.com/CCBlogJune2006.htm

I made my own QCTP for a 7x12 but the design can easily be scaled up - the whole thing is modeled in Alibre. If you don't have Alibre (it's free), I can scale it up and send PDF drawings - I would just need the toolholder dimensions and mount stud size.

Aaron

Page 1 of 2 12