584,837 active members*
4,895 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Viper Servo drives > WOW ! Parts are getting a Wee bit hard to find now
Page 3 of 3 123

Re: WOW ! Parts are getting a Wee bit hard to find now

don't have to use Reuters or wall street like some amateurs have too
    Chuckle.
    When you consider the capex needed for one EUV machine, or the financial significance of having a stream of 5 nm chips, then maybe Reuters or WSJ make some sense after all.

I dare say we shall see what they can produce, at some stage.

Cheers
    Roger

I'm not as up to date on the latest cutting edge technology for multi ghz processors as you guy's . But what im seeing is most of the 10-20 year old Atmel , Microchip and motorola etc.. 8 and 16 bit cpu's are completely out of stock with long lead times. Many small companies still use because they have the mid level assembly equipment to be able to handle them. But now have obsolete pcb's with no parts .

Probably there is more money in making the latest fastest parts , but i never would have thought parts we used 2 years ago would competely disappear and may never come back. Obsolescence happened almost over night !

We knew back in 2003 that Sars probably would return at some time, but I don't think anyone would have predicted what it could do to the world economy or how easily things could be throw out of balance in the manufacturing sector. The truth is .. every warning has been ignored by governments. 40 years ago in popular science magazines they talked about the need for alternate energy , but then came the Internet and Cell phones which were much more fun and all the money went into that .. and alternate energy was put on the back burner .
    Same as sars , they talked in 2006 that they would need millions of masks and medical supplies, but governments ( around the world ) never stocked up.

Like the crash in 2009 ... all the econonmist and think tanks can't seem to really predict whats really going to happen
    Manufacturer of CNC routers and Viper Servo Drives
    www.LarkenCNC.com and www.Viperservo.com

Like the crash in 2009 ... all the economist and think tanks can't seem to really predict whats really going to happen
    Well, I am sure some of them could, but
    It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it.
    Sinclair, Upton, born 1878, American novelist and social reformer.

As for the rest - like most politicians, they are just incompetent.

Cheers
    Roger

Hi,

But what im seeing is most of the 10-20 year old Atmel , Microchip and motorola etc.. 8 and 16 bit cpu's are completely out of stock with long lead times.
    I like you am surprised that these components are out of stock and for extended periods at that. Further as PCW_MESA has posted these components rely on technologies a decade or more
    years old, say 45nm and older, and should be unaffected by the technology war around EUV.

There was an excellent analysis published by the IEEE about the price a semi maker can get per wafer depending on feature size. I've been looking for a couple of days to find the
    reference but cannot find it. The take away is that the price per wafer for say a 28nm node is something like $2000/wafer whereas a 10nm wafer is $20,000 and a 5nm wafer $50,000.
    So the price per wafer that the semi maker can get drops off a cliff for the older technologies.

This stark difference lead me to guess that the big semi makers would forgo the older less profitable (commodity?) devices in favor of the latest and most profitable devices, and therefore I guessed
    that many of the older devices would never be manufactured again. One of my long term component suppliers here in NZ disagrees....he maintains that the older devices are still in demand and are
    still required if the semi makers are to be able to sell their high end components. If for instance you require an 8 bit Atmel device to 'supervise' an FPGA, then being able to buy the high end FPGA
    is not going to help you manufacture your product because you cant get the Atmel micro. I hope he is correct.

What I suspect is likely is that when the most popular of those components come back they will be many times the price that we are used to paying hitherto. The attitude being 'if
    you don't like that then go without'.

Craig

So the price per wafer that the semi maker can get drops off a cliff for the older technologies.
    To be sure, but that is not the end of the story.
    If you have some gear to hand which can make 40 nm wafers, for which there are steady customers, it may make sense to keep that gear running, even as you work on your new 10 nm production line. IF you have the staff to run it, and IF you can get the raw wafers and chemical. Neither is guaranteed right now.

It's complex, ennit?

Cheers
    Roger

Hi,

If you have some gear to hand which can make 40 nm wafers, for which there are steady customers, it may make sense to keep that gear running, even as you work on your new 10 nm production line
    Well yes I would have thought so too, but the evidence suggests otherwise. Where are all the 40nm parts?

Craig

Hi Craig

Where indeed?
    But note my caveats: IF you have the staff to run it, and IF you can get the raw wafers and chemicals.

The staff may or may not be back to work right now, after repeated COVID infections, but the supply line of wafers and chemicals is certainly in trouble.
    And even if you could get some (limited) staff and supplies, where would you direct them? To the 5 nm or 40 nm production lines?

The older parts may yet come back into production (since they have a ready market),but it may take some time . . .
    And channels like Reuters or WSJ etc WILL be on top of those problems.

Cheers
    Roger

Page 3 of 3 123