584,860 active members*
5,037 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Machine Controllers Software and Solutions > LinuxCNC (formerly EMC2) > Kitamura Myturn 10 (Lathe) Fanuc O-T to Linux CNC

Cool Kitamura Myturn 10 (Lathe) Fanuc O-T to Linux CNC

So the time has come to get this lathe going.

We got this lathe when we originally got our first mill. It had lost some of its parameters. After getting the parameters from Kitamura in japan and learning way too much about the Fanuc system we tried to get them all entered. Long story short we are missing something so next best thing is getting someone out to help. Instead of paying someone time and travel to come and help us get this older fanuc system going.....its time to get it setup with something modern.

Kitamura Myturn 10 (Build date is 1989 but was outfitted in 1993 with the fanuc controls, from reading this was a common practice when making the castings back in the 80s)

Fanuc Red top Servos -
    5s Servo for the X axis / ~6nm 6amp
    10s Servo for the Z axis / ~12nm 7.6amp

I have two Allen-Bradley Ultra3000 Servo Drives.
    2098-DSD-005 for the smaller Fanuc 5s servo
    2098-DSD-020 for the larger Fanuc 10s servo (Just from specs I could have used the smaller drive but this unit was a good deal on ebay)

Fanuc 6s 6000rpm Spindle motor -
    Currently going down the rabbit hole of using the Fanuc drive. Looking over previous conversions done with Centroid and some of Centroids data the 10v signal along with some PLC stuff to tell it forward/reverse and using its own outputs to signal at speed ect.....

As far as encoders go...
    Im going to try and get the axis drive servos going with the AB Servo drives BUT I do have 2 pico ecoder boards if need be.
    Spindle encoder Still working on as Im still digging into the Fanuc Spindle drive.

Going to be using the PICO Systems PWM/Stepper board (for now). going with the Allen-Bradley drives and the step/dir input signals they use have opened up a ton more options for both realtime stuff with LinuxCNC and even using separate motion controllers.

So far looks like turret hydraulics and the few other machine specifics should be easy enough to implement with some ladder logic. I'll try and update as this unfolds in the next few weeks.

Re: Kitamura Myturn 10 (Lathe) Fanuc O-T to Linux CNC

When I replaced my O-T control, I replaced the servos with modern hardware (DMM Tech), and powered the spindle motor (6S, 7.5kW) with a VFD. I gave up trying to interface with the original Fanuc spindle drive. You do lose any indexing with that combination, but the spindle worked fine, including rigid tapping, for about 3 years until I replaced the spindle motor with a servo for a full C axis.
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Re: Kitamura Myturn 10 (Lathe) Fanuc O-T to Linux CNC

me to kitamura mill conversation & and stopped fanuc tacho signal.
    i have 4 analog out channel. and try simulate him use lcnc. work fine. try to find additional mesa card with analog out.