584,817 active members*
4,613 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Haas Machines > Haas Mills > Spindle RPM on CW/CCW Buttons

Hybrid View

Spindle RPM on CW/CCW Buttons

OK... I feel like I've changed this in the past, but for the life of me, I can't find the setting, or parameter...

How do I set the default RPMs I get on the spindle when I hit the CW or CCW button?

This is on a Haas VF2ss with the pre-NGC control.

Not something I use much... I hit it today while trying to check the coolant spray on an abrasive brush I want to try... Well, the spindle ran up all the way to 12k (I think), and the brush turned in to a grenade before my brain realized what was happening since it is only rated at 2500 rpm. No chance to hit the stop before the destruction. No damage to the machine, just a hit to my pride...

Re: Spindle RPM on CW/CCW Buttons

Quote Originally Posted by Toolslinger View Post
    OK... I feel like I've changed this in the past, but for the life of me, I can't find the setting, or parameter...

How do I set the default RPMs I get on the spindle when I hit the CW or CCW button?

This is on a Haas VF2ss with the pre-NGC control.

Not something I use much... I hit it today while trying to check the coolant spray on an abrasive brush I want to try... Well, the spindle ran up all the way to 12k (I think), and the brush turned in to a grenade before my brain realized what was happening since it is only rated at 2500 rpm. No chance to hit the stop before the destruction. No damage to the machine, just a hit to my pride...
    Where you in MDI mode then you just type in the speed you want the spindle to run at. it must have S12000 in there for it to run at that speed which you should never have that speed in there

It could of run at the last speed the spindle was running at also, so make sure you are in MDI mode and have the speed that you want to run the spindle at set in the MDI
    Mactec54

I'll try that.
    I was in Hand/Jog, looking at the tool parameters, in order to set the programable coolant for that particular tool.
    Prior to that, I had run the warmup cycle. That runs out to 10K, but I wouldn't think that speed would stay in memory.
    Whatever it is, I'll be checking/setting a nice low RPM in there this morning before I get the replacement brush later... I'll be spinning it up with a different tool in there that can handle the RPMs in case I've got something strange going on other than just fat fingers...

Quote Originally Posted by Toolslinger View Post
    I'll try that.
    I was in Hand/Jog, looking at the tool parameters, in order to set the programable coolant for that particular tool.
    Prior to that, I had run the warmup cycle. That runs out to 10K, but I wouldn't think that speed would stay in memory.
    Whatever it is, I'll be checking/setting a nice low RPM in there this morning before I get the replacement brush later... I'll be spinning it up with a different tool in there that can handle the RPMs in case I've got something strange going on other than just fat fingers...
    You don't need a tool in the spindle to spin it up MDI is where you can set a spindle speed press start and it will run at that set speed, you can then go into jog mode move around and have the spindle running run at that set speed, this is how you can do manual cuts with feed so basically manual machining with one axis locked, just remember crashes can happen when you do manual machining if you are not careful with which axis you move and lock

You always have to open MDI to run at that set speed once you have run at that set speed, you can then be in jog mode and start the spindle and it will run at the speed set in MDI
    Mactec54

Yea, I've done the odd manual cut in the past. It isn't something I look forward to for obvious reasons. I also tend to at least have an empty tool holder in the spindle if I'm rotating. It just give me one more visual indicator to not do anything stupid...
    At any rate, we'll see how things go today. I just got the notice my brush was delivered, but of course it isn't over on the loading dock... Just another day...
    Thanks for your thoughts.