585,758 active members*
4,619 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Two Motors and Endstops on one Axes

I would like to use 2 motors and 2 end stops on the Y-axis on my portal milling machine. my board is the MK3/9 with current firmware, how do I define these two motors including endstops in the settings? and how are the endstops used in homing using both.
    thanks Markus

Re: Two Motors and Endstops on one Axes

Quote Originally Posted by Macwolf View Post
    I would like to use 2 motors and 2 end stops on the Y-axis on my portal milling machine. my board is the MK3/9 with current firmware, how do I define these two motors including endstops in the settings? and how are the endstops used in homing using both.
    thanks Markus
    No one should ever use end stops to home a machine, this puts unnecessary stress on the mechanical parts of the machine, Homing is normally done with a proximity switch or a Relay a proximity switch being the best choice
    Mactec54

the end stops used are inductive proximity switches, the question is how are the 2 motors addressed separately when homing?

Quote Originally Posted by Macwolf View Post
    the end stops used are inductive proximity switches, the question is how are the 2 motors addressed separately when homing?
    There is normally a Homing routine that different controls use, which will home each switch separately, Proximity switches are not end stops, they are either a home switches or a limit switch's which also can do both, check with your control manual most controls have software that have homing routines for master and slave motors
    Mactec54

PLEASE NOTE: Before using the gantry square method, the user must configure the master and slave motor outputs and their corresponding limit switch inputs.

Master slave axes have the same designation (Y) but how is it possible to assign this one axis to 2 limits? or do I have a misconception? if master (Y) and slave (other) then 2 limits are possible. as I said, how is this configured in TNG2?

During gantry square routine motors are assigned letters U and V. Therefore you need to set limit switches for U and V.

every homeming doesn't work? is another profile needed just for alignment?

it works after aligning the portal. thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    No one should ever use end stops to home a machine, this puts unnecessary stress on the mechanical parts of the machine, Homing is normally done with a proximity switch or a Relay a proximity switch being the best choice
    I agree with your answer.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnKlein94 View Post
    I got more information at https://celltrackingapps.com/geofinder/. No one should ever use end stops to home a machine, this puts unnecessary stress on the mechanical parts of the machine, Homing is normally done with a proximity switch or a Relay a proximity switch being the best choice.
    I agree with your answer.
    Thanks.